Yet another Windows Vista Updgrade nightmare story

dharber@pobox.com

Yet another Windows Vista Updgrade nightmare story
So, I'm trying to install Windows Vista Home Premium Updgrade. And, of
course, it's failing horribly. I've checked the net for any
information about the problems I'm having but none of the suggestions
have applied or been relevant. The only discussions I can find that
have similar failures to mine appear to remain unresolved since
February, 2007.

Basically, I get one of a variety of failures all centered around
failing to update the boot configuration. The latest incarnation of
this failure has the following in setupact.log:

2007-09-06 00:51:43, Error [0x0640e4] IBSLIB
ModifyBootEntries:BCDOpenSystemStore failed with unexpected error
code, ec = [c0000098]
2007-09-06 00:51:43, Error [0x0641b8] IBSLIB ModifyBootEntries:
Error modifying bcd boot entries. dwRetCode=[0x3EE]
2007-09-06 00:51:43, Info [0x060216] IBS
CallBack_MungeBootIni:Failed to modify boot entries GLE = 1006

In setuperr.log:

2007-09-06 00:44:08, Error [0x064186] IBSLIB
CSystemVolumeSelectionCheckpoint: Failed to backup BCD database from
"C:\Boot\BCD" to "E:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Rollback\Boot\BCD".
[gle=0x000003ee]
2007-09-06 00:44:08, Error [0x064199] IBSLIB
SetCheckpoint(StartPhaseSystemVolumeSelectedCheckp oint): threw
exception.: class RollbackException: RollbackException: Error(1006),
CSystemVolumeSelectionCheckpoint: Failed to backup BCD database..

I received several different error codes depending on how I tried to
install the upgrade. I'm not positive what was in the setuperr.log for
some of the other error codes because I didn't know the file existed
and didn't look to see what specific problem it was complaining about.
(On the other hand, even though this instance *has* a specific problem
it's complaining about, there's absolutely no information available to
determine how to fix it.)

The system I'm trying to install this on has 2 x 240-ish GB SATA
drives and a DVD drive. The SATA drives are set to emulate PATA drives
(Enhanced IDE my BIOS calls it). The first SATA drive is split into
roughly 2 equal sized partitions with Windows XP Pro in the first
partition. Since XP Pro can't be upgraded but must have a clean
install, I told the Vista installer to install Vista in the second
partition on the first drive. The second SATA drive has a single NTFS
partition containing data, development files, etc.

So...is there anyone who can give me some kind of idea what I might do
to actually install this pile of, um, software?

Thanks,
Doug Harber

Rick Rogers

Re: Yet another Windows Vista Updgrade nightmare story
Hi Doug,

Sounds like something is disallowing changes to the boot sector and mbr. If
you are installing from within the XP system, then I should think it might
be resident AV blocking. If installing by booting the Vista disk, then a
BIOS-based boot time protection is preventing it. Disabling these may
resolve the issue for you.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

<dharber@pobox.com> wrote in message
news:1189067059.030337.280250@r29g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
> So, I'm trying to install Windows Vista Home Premium Updgrade. And, of
> course, it's failing horribly. I've checked the net for any
> information about the problems I'm having but none of the suggestions
> have applied or been relevant. The only discussions I can find that
> have similar failures to mine appear to remain unresolved since
> February, 2007.
>
> Basically, I get one of a variety of failures all centered around
> failing to update the boot configuration. The latest incarnation of
> this failure has the following in setupact.log:
>
> 2007-09-06 00:51:43, Error [0x0640e4] IBSLIB
> ModifyBootEntries:BCDOpenSystemStore failed with unexpected error
> code, ec = [c0000098]
> 2007-09-06 00:51:43, Error [0x0641b8] IBSLIB ModifyBootEntries:
> Error modifying bcd boot entries. dwRetCode=[0x3EE]
> 2007-09-06 00:51:43, Info [0x060216] IBS
> CallBack_MungeBootIni:Failed to modify boot entries GLE = 1006
>
> In setuperr.log:
>
> 2007-09-06 00:44:08, Error [0x064186] IBSLIB
> CSystemVolumeSelectionCheckpoint: Failed to backup BCD database from
> "C:\Boot\BCD" to "E:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Rollback\Boot\BCD".
> [gle=0x000003ee]
> 2007-09-06 00:44:08, Error [0x064199] IBSLIB
> SetCheckpoint(StartPhaseSystemVolumeSelectedCheckp oint): threw
> exception.: class RollbackException: RollbackException: Error(1006),
> CSystemVolumeSelectionCheckpoint: Failed to backup BCD database..
>
> I received several different error codes depending on how I tried to
> install the upgrade. I'm not positive what was in the setuperr.log for
> some of the other error codes because I didn't know the file existed
> and didn't look to see what specific problem it was complaining about.
> (On the other hand, even though this instance *has* a specific problem
> it's complaining about, there's absolutely no information available to
> determine how to fix it.)
>
> The system I'm trying to install this on has 2 x 240-ish GB SATA
> drives and a DVD drive. The SATA drives are set to emulate PATA drives
> (Enhanced IDE my BIOS calls it). The first SATA drive is split into
> roughly 2 equal sized partitions with Windows XP Pro in the first
> partition. Since XP Pro can't be upgraded but must have a clean
> install, I told the Vista installer to install Vista in the second
> partition on the first drive. The second SATA drive has a single NTFS
> partition containing data, development files, etc.
>
> So...is there anyone who can give me some kind of idea what I might do
> to actually install this pile of, um, software?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug Harber

John Barnes

Re: Yet another Windows Vista Updgrade nightmare story
First I would try disconnecting the second drive during the install. What
kind of partitions are on your first drive. Are both primary, which is
active etc. Look at the information in your XP Disk Management

<dharber@pobox.com> wrote in message
news:1189067059.030337.280250@r29g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
> So, I'm trying to install Windows Vista Home Premium Updgrade. And, of
> course, it's failing horribly. I've checked the net for any
> information about the problems I'm having but none of the suggestions
> have applied or been relevant. The only discussions I can find that
> have similar failures to mine appear to remain unresolved since
> February, 2007.
>
> Basically, I get one of a variety of failures all centered around
> failing to update the boot configuration. The latest incarnation of
> this failure has the following in setupact.log:
>
> 2007-09-06 00:51:43, Error [0x0640e4] IBSLIB
> ModifyBootEntries:BCDOpenSystemStore failed with unexpected error
> code, ec = [c0000098]
> 2007-09-06 00:51:43, Error [0x0641b8] IBSLIB ModifyBootEntries:
> Error modifying bcd boot entries. dwRetCode=[0x3EE]
> 2007-09-06 00:51:43, Info [0x060216] IBS
> CallBack_MungeBootIni:Failed to modify boot entries GLE = 1006
>
> In setuperr.log:
>
> 2007-09-06 00:44:08, Error [0x064186] IBSLIB
> CSystemVolumeSelectionCheckpoint: Failed to backup BCD database from
> "C:\Boot\BCD" to "E:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Rollback\Boot\BCD".
> [gle=0x000003ee]
> 2007-09-06 00:44:08, Error [0x064199] IBSLIB
> SetCheckpoint(StartPhaseSystemVolumeSelectedCheckp oint): threw
> exception.: class RollbackException: RollbackException: Error(1006),
> CSystemVolumeSelectionCheckpoint: Failed to backup BCD database..
>
> I received several different error codes depending on how I tried to
> install the upgrade. I'm not positive what was in the setuperr.log for
> some of the other error codes because I didn't know the file existed
> and didn't look to see what specific problem it was complaining about.
> (On the other hand, even though this instance *has* a specific problem
> it's complaining about, there's absolutely no information available to
> determine how to fix it.)
>
> The system I'm trying to install this on has 2 x 240-ish GB SATA
> drives and a DVD drive. The SATA drives are set to emulate PATA drives
> (Enhanced IDE my BIOS calls it). The first SATA drive is split into
> roughly 2 equal sized partitions with Windows XP Pro in the first
> partition. Since XP Pro can't be upgraded but must have a clean
> install, I told the Vista installer to install Vista in the second
> partition on the first drive. The second SATA drive has a single NTFS
> partition containing data, development files, etc.
>
> So...is there anyone who can give me some kind of idea what I might do
> to actually install this pile of, um, software?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug Harber

dharber@pobox.com

Re: Yet another Windows Vista Updgrade nightmare story
That was one of the suggestions I looked into for this problem. But
I'm not running any AV software during installation and there is not
BIOS boot-sector protection enabled. (I've actually tried installing
both from inside Windows XP and booting from the Vista disk, btw.)

On Sep 6, 3:22 am, "Rick Rogers" <r...@mvps.org> wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> Sounds like something is disallowing changes to the boot sector and mbr. If
> you are installing from within the XP system, then I should think it might
> be resident AV blocking. If installing by booting the Vista disk, then a
> BIOS-based boot time protection is preventing it. Disabling these may
> resolve the issue for you.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughtshttp://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

dharber@pobox.com

Re: Yet another Windows Vista Updgrade nightmare story
I'm not sure why disconnecting the second drive would either be
necessary or helpful. I supppose I might as well give it a try since I
have no other ideas but I'll be very surprised, not to mention pissed
off, if it has any effect.

When I tried installing from Windows XP, both partitions were created
as Primary partitions. The first partition, where the XP installation
resides, was the active partition.

When I installed from the Vista DVD, I deleted the partition and told
the Vista installer to create a new partition in that spot. It appears
to have created a Primary partition but the first Partition still
appears to be active, but that could be because the installer rolled
back any system configuration changes it had made.

Thanks,
Doug Harber

On Sep 6, 3:41 am, "John Barnes" <jbar...@email.net> wrote:
> First I would try disconnecting the second drive during the install. What
> kind of partitions are on your first drive. Are both primary, which is
> active etc. Look at the information in your XP Disk Management

John Barnes

Re: Yet another Windows Vista Updgrade nightmare story
It probably won't but you are trying to write to an 'E' drive per the error
reporting you supplied. Not knowing which drive that might be, and having a
few prior installs work with the non-install drive removed, it is worth a
try. Else, you do need to find out what your E drive is. If it is your DVD
drive, then we have to find out why that is being referred to.

<dharber@pobox.com> wrote in message
news:1189097249.770860.81750@22g2000hsm.googlegrou ps.com...
> I'm not sure why disconnecting the second drive would either be
> necessary or helpful. I supppose I might as well give it a try since I
> have no other ideas but I'll be very surprised, not to mention pissed
> off, if it has any effect.
>
> When I tried installing from Windows XP, both partitions were created
> as Primary partitions. The first partition, where the XP installation
> resides, was the active partition.
>
> When I installed from the Vista DVD, I deleted the partition and told
> the Vista installer to create a new partition in that spot. It appears
> to have created a Primary partition but the first Partition still
> appears to be active, but that could be because the installer rolled
> back any system configuration changes it had made.
>
> Thanks,
> Doug Harber
>
> On Sep 6, 3:41 am, "John Barnes" <jbar...@email.net> wrote:
>> First I would try disconnecting the second drive during the install.
>> What
>> kind of partitions are on your first drive. Are both primary, which is
>> active etc. Look at the information in your XP Disk Management

dharber@pobox.com

Re: Yet another Windows Vista Updgrade nightmare story
Ah, I see your point. However, the log file indicates that the E:\
drive is the Vista partition (drive 1, partition 2). Which is odd, now
that I think about it. I assumed that Vista would consider the
installed partition as the C:\ drive. Apparently the active partition
is always the C:\ drive?

See if this helps http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931697/en-us

<dharber@pobox.com> wrote in message
news:1189099279.189487.128540@o80g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
> Ah, I see your point. However, the log file indicates that the E:\
> drive is the Vista partition (drive 1, partition 2). Which is odd, now
> that I think about it. I assumed that Vista would consider the
> installed partition as the C:\ drive. Apparently the active partition
> is always the C:\ drive?
>
> On Sep 6, 10:00 am, "John Barnes" <jbar...@email.net> wrote:
>> It probably won't but you are trying to write to an 'E' drive per the
>> error
>> reporting you supplied. Not knowing which drive that might be, and
>> having a
>> few prior installs work with the non-install drive removed, it is worth a
>> try. Else, you do need to find out what your E drive is. If it is your
>> DVD
>> drive, then we have to find out why that is being referred to.

dharber@pobox.com

Re: Yet another Windows Vista Updgrade nightmare story
Already checked that based on earlier searches. The registry entry was
already there and set to the correct value. Further, none of my
install scenarios ever generated the error code they refer to. I've
gotten several others but never that particular one.

Also, I wouldn't think that could affect the clean install from the
DVD, which is the latest scenario I tried (and the one that generated
the errors above.)

Thanks,
Doug

On Sep 6, 10:54 am, "John Barnes" <jbar...@email.net> wrote:
> See if this helpshttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/931697/en-us
>
> <dhar...@pobox.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1189099279.189487.128540@o80g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...

dharber@pobox.com

Re: Yet another Windows Vista Updgrade nightmare story
I've just now taken a realized that the error code being returned in
the failed operation is 0x3EE or 1006, which appears to be:

The volume for a file has been externally altered such that
the opened file is no longer valid.

Unfortunately, I can't find any description of what that actually
means and what kind of conditions could cause it.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Doug Harber