Yet another BSOD after install thread.. PLZ Help.

PriceDoesntMatter

Yet another BSOD after install thread.. PLZ Help.

Ok here it goes. I'll try to do my best to describe exactly what i'm
doing and what is happening. See my signature for exact specs on my
system.

The issue I'm having is this. Ideally the configuration I'm looking for
is either XP PROx86/Vistax64 or Vistax86/Vistax64 one of those two
configurations. Now the reason i'm doing such is because i have a
program that's ONLY 32bit and cannot be run on x64. Besides x64 will be
used for my gaming and whatnot since it will support my full max of 8
gigs of memory which is wasted in 32bit... nevertheless that's the
background here's what's going on. Keep in mind that My primary boot
drive is the raptor X 150gb. Partitions are 40960mb/40960mb/remaining
space.

*Installed XPSP2 (didn't configure anything)

*Restarted, finished installation and moved on to vista.

*Installed Vista x64 (os files)

*Restarted and attempted to finish installation and got a BSOD shortly
after the vista loading bar pops up and before the black screen that
says "PREPARING VISTA TO START FOR THE FIRST TIME".

*Restarted thinking it was a goof but the BSOD popped up in the same
place.

here's the odd thing and common sense is kicking me in the face on this
one... Originally I had a caviar 160gb IDE drive setup in the same
configuration and everything installed and setup fine. But something is
telling me it's the raptor drive. since when i installed the old drive
and started up the pc... everything started up normal and is running
now.

I have repeated the same steps for a VISTA/VISTA64 type setup as well
on the raptor. Same results... and since my CPU is crazy fast... i can't
see the blue screens and even doing slow motion recording off my camera
doesn't work.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated... i'm gonna try and return the
drive tomorrow and see if the drive is the issue. but i'm open to
sugguestions.

Thanks in advance.
Jason aka *PDM*

--
PriceDoesntMatter

*BestBuy Geek Squad Pricinct 430 C.I.A
_(A+,_Net+,_CCNA,_M.C.P/Vista_Certified)_*
Gigabyte Aurora 570 Black
EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard
1000w Ultra X3 SLI Power Supply
Core 2 Duo Extreme Quad Core 6700
4x Kingston 2gb DDR2 667mhz Memory
1x WD Raptor X 150gb (Boot Drive)
4x Seagate 750gb Baracuda Drives (Raid 0)
2x SLI BFG 8800 GTX OC (Water Cooled Edition)
X-FI Fatal1ty Pro Sound Card
Machine cost = $6273
Misc. Access. = $426
Building a machine that makes grown men weep...
**PRICELESS**
Rick Rogers

Re: Yet another BSOD after install thread.. PLZ Help.
Hi,

The fact that another drive in the same configuration does not cause the
error is fairly good evidence that the raptor drive is the problem. Return
it or run a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer, but I suspect you will
find that it fails.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"PriceDoesntMatter" <PriceDoesntMatter.2wgxe0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in
message news:PriceDoesntMatter.2wgxe0@no-mx.forums.net...

> Ok here it goes. I'll try to do my best to describe exactly what i'm
> doing and what is happening. See my signature for exact specs on my
> system.
>
> The issue I'm having is this. Ideally the configuration I'm looking for
> is either XP PROx86/Vistax64 or Vistax86/Vistax64 one of those two
> configurations. Now the reason i'm doing such is because i have a
> program that's ONLY 32bit and cannot be run on x64. Besides x64 will be
> used for my gaming and whatnot since it will support my full max of 8
> gigs of memory which is wasted in 32bit... nevertheless that's the
> background here's what's going on. Keep in mind that My primary boot
> drive is the raptor X 150gb. Partitions are 40960mb/40960mb/remaining
> space.
>
> *Installed XPSP2 (didn't configure anything)
>
> *Restarted, finished installation and moved on to vista.
>
> *Installed Vista x64 (os files)
>
> *Restarted and attempted to finish installation and got a BSOD shortly
> after the vista loading bar pops up and before the black screen that
> says "PREPARING VISTA TO START FOR THE FIRST TIME".
>
> *Restarted thinking it was a goof but the BSOD popped up in the same
> place.
>
> here's the odd thing and common sense is kicking me in the face on this
> one... Originally I had a caviar 160gb IDE drive setup in the same
> configuration and everything installed and setup fine. But something is
> telling me it's the raptor drive. since when i installed the old drive
> and started up the pc... everything started up normal and is running
> now.
>
> I have repeated the same steps for a VISTA/VISTA64 type setup as well
> on the raptor. Same results... and since my CPU is crazy fast... i can't
> see the blue screens and even doing slow motion recording off my camera
> doesn't work.
>
> Any ideas/help would be appreciated... i'm gonna try and return the
> drive tomorrow and see if the drive is the issue. but i'm open to
> sugguestions.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Jason aka *PDM*
>

> --
> PriceDoesntMatter
>
> *BestBuy Geek Squad Pricinct 430 C.I.A
> _(A+,_Net+,_CCNA,_M.C.P/Vista_Certified)_*
> Gigabyte Aurora 570 Black
> EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard
> 1000w Ultra X3 SLI Power Supply
> Core 2 Duo Extreme Quad Core 6700
> 4x Kingston 2gb DDR2 667mhz Memory
> 1x WD Raptor X 150gb (Boot Drive)
> 4x Seagate 750gb Baracuda Drives (Raid 0)
> 2x SLI BFG 8800 GTX OC (Water Cooled Edition)
> X-FI Fatal1ty Pro Sound Card
> Machine cost = $6273
> Misc. Access. = $426
> Building a machine that makes grown men weep...
> **PRICELESS**

PriceDoesntMatter

Re: Yet another BSOD after install thread.. PLZ Help.

The whole reason I posted this issue is because I've tried installing a
number of operating systems.

Windows XP PRO SP2
Windows XP PRO 64bit SP2
Windows MCE 2005
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

The only one I've had an issue with is the VISTA 64bit. I've seen many
issues with operating system installs since that's my job, Computer
Repair. This issue is driving me to drink so to speak. Now I've spent
close to 23+ hours researching before posting here. I've seen the
following explanations..
'Blue Screen after OS load : Microsoft, *Windows Vista , *Business
Edition x64, *Dell, *Latitude, *D830, *Hybrid HD'
(http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M..._22797547.html)
'Error Loading Operating System ╗ WhoCares?'
(http://whocares.de/2004/12/28/error-...rating-system/)
Even here on this forum
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-instal...h-install.html

I've tried everything after reading these and many more. Tried removing
all components and only leaving in one 2gig stick of ram, my known good
test card (MSI geforceNX7300LE), changed the sata ports of my sata
optical and raptor drive multiple times, Re-Burned my install media at
2x (I backup all my media since they tend to get beat up).. I even tried
unplugging it from the internet (shows I'm at wit's end) thinking that
it was downloading something corrupt from the microsoft site for the
installation.

Headed out to the store now to get the drive exchanged... I did notice
that the drive was CRAZY HOT when I pulled it out of my system. which is
pretty unusual since my apartment temp is usually kept ice cold like a
server room.

If someone has any input as to something I missed, I'm open to
sugguestions.

--
PriceDoesntMatter

*BestBuy Geek Squad Pricinct 430 C.I.A
_(A+,_Net+,_CCNA,_M.C.P/Vista_Certified)_*
Gigabyte Aurora 570 Black
EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard
1000w Ultra X3 SLI Power Supply
Core 2 Duo Extreme Quad Core 6700
4x Kingston 2gb DDR2 667mhz Memory
1x WD Raptor X 150gb (Boot Drive)
4x Seagate 750gb Baracuda Drives (Raid 0)
2x SLI BFG 8800 GTX OC (Water Cooled Edition)
X-FI Fatal1ty Pro Sound Card
Machine cost = $6273
Misc. Access. = $426
Building a machine that makes grown men weep...
**PRICELESS**
PriceDoesntMatter

Re: Yet another BSOD after install thread.. PLZ Help.

**UPDATE**

After last night's update. I realized that self help was only going to
go so far.. And i wasn't gonna give up on this especially after i had
put so much time and effort into this. So.... I spent 8 hours on the
phone today, calling and HOLDING and explaining what was going on. I
think half of freakin india knows what issue I had.

*Call to Western Digital*
Called, and connected to enterprise support for raptor drives... waited
20 min on hold to talk to someone i could barely hear/understand... only
to get put on hold and kicked off the phone. so i called back and tried
again.... waited another 20 minutes to talk to someone, made sure that
he didn't put me on hold.. after i explained what was going on i had to
be escalated to tier 2 tech support, which i had to be transferred
to.... another 20 minutes later i talked to the tier 2 tech only to hear
that WD's official stand on the situation is and i quote "Our official
standing on vista 64 bit is.. We don't support it, troubleshoot it and
will not answer any further questions. HOWEVER i asked him simply this..
Since i paid 200 bucks for the drive that says "VISTA COMPATIBLE" and
it's not working in vista... isn't that false advertising? his reply was
simply "It says Windows XP, and we don't support windows XP 64 either."
At this point I politely told the guy he wasn't any help and his
response was that i should call microsoft for support.

*Call 2 - Microsoft*
Called up microsoft tech support looking for a fight after this last
call... So i gave the first guy i talked to a good reaming and after
explaining my specs and what i had tried to troubleshoot... i was told
that since it works on another drive that there is no issue with Vista
and that the issue was with the HDD or my sata controller. No at this
point the reasoning was justified, Since everything had installed
normally on a 160g PATA drive.. and not on my new raptor, the only thing
different is the data connection... so on to the next call.

*Call 3 - EVGA*

called up EVGA and talked to one of their tech support people and all
he said was that microsoft knows about the issue and that i was to
install the operating systems with only 2GB ram in the system. Also he
provided me with the following LINK
'FAQ ID # 57880 - I get frequent BSOD crashes when installing or
running Windows Vista 64 bit and I have over 3GB of RAM.'
(http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmv...px?faqid=57880)

Fixed all my issues 100%
Once i installed the operating systems i installed the hotfix on each
and VIOLA... i'm up and running.

If you're having my same issues try hitting up the link above and
you'll be spared a biiiiig headache.

--
PriceDoesntMatter

*BestBuy Geek Squad Pricinct 430 C.I.A
_(A+,_Net+,_CCNA,_M.C.P/Vista_Certified)_*
Gigabyte Aurora 570 Black
EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard
1000w Ultra X3 SLI Power Supply
Core 2 Duo Extreme Quad Core 6700
4x Kingston 2gb DDR2 667mhz Memory
1x WD Raptor X 150gb (Boot Drive)
4x Seagate 750gb Baracuda Drives (Raid 0)
2x SLI BFG 8800 GTX OC (Water Cooled Edition)
X-FI Fatal1ty Pro Sound Card
Machine cost = $6273
Misc. Access. = $426
Building a machine that makes grown men weep...
**PRICELESS**
John Barnes

Re: Yet another BSOD after install thread.. PLZ Help.
Since you are getting that far, on the last boot you should select F8 and
choose either safe mode or low resolution mode. It would seem that you are
having problems with the video driver. I would also remove one of your
video cards until you get started. Not sure why you went for cheap memory,
when that often makes more of a difference than all the other components.
Lowest latencies available and highest bandwidth your FSB can handle, which
is twice what you are running.

"PriceDoesntMatter" <PriceDoesntMatter.2wkdp3@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in
message news:PriceDoesntMatter.2wkdp3@no-mx.forums.net...

> [...]
>
> Fixed all my issues 100%
> Once i installed the operating systems i installed the hotfix on each
> and VIOLA... i'm up and running.
>
> If you're having my same issues try hitting up the link above and
> you'll be spared a biiiiig headache.
>

> --
> PriceDoesntMatter
>
> *BestBuy Geek Squad Pricinct 430 C.I.A
> _(A+,_Net+,_CCNA,_M.C.P/Vista_Certified)_*
> Gigabyte Aurora 570 Black
> EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard
> 1000w Ultra X3 SLI Power Supply
> Core 2 Duo Extreme Quad Core 6700
> 4x Kingston 2gb DDR2 667mhz Memory
> 1x WD Raptor X 150gb (Boot Drive)
> 4x Seagate 750gb Baracuda Drives (Raid 0)
> 2x SLI BFG 8800 GTX OC (Water Cooled Edition)
> X-FI Fatal1ty Pro Sound Card
> Machine cost = $6273
> Misc. Access. = $426
> Building a machine that makes grown men weep...

PriceDoesntMatter

Re: Yet another BSOD after install thread.. PLZ Help.

Thanks for the follow up post man, my rig is up and running full force
now.

The only reason I have this memory in the system and not low latency
SLI memory is because I just needed to get the machine up and running
and i was tired of waiting till i had made enough for the big stuff.

I level world of warcraft accounts to sell and what i have is more than
enough to run 12 instances of wow.. Each level 60 i sell goes for about
100-150 bucks.. and takes 14 days to level.. so now that i'm up and
running and i have setup 12 accounts to level for me while i work, i'll
have some 1000+mhz memory by the end of the month when i sell off all 12
of these guys.

Thanks for the input though, but i already had it on my mind.

--
PriceDoesntMatter

*BestBuy Geek Squad Pricinct 430 C.I.A
_(A+,_Net+,_CCNA,_M.C.P/Vista_Certified)_*
Gigabyte Aurora 570 Black
EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard
1000w Ultra X3 SLI Power Supply
Core 2 Duo Extreme Quad Core 6700
4x Kingston 2gb DDR2 667mhz Memory
1x WD Raptor X 150gb (Boot Drive)
4x Seagate 750gb Baracuda Drives (Raid 0)
2x SLI BFG 8800 GTX OC (Water Cooled Edition)
X-FI Fatal1ty Pro Sound Card
Machine cost = $6273
Misc. Access. = $426
Building a machine that makes grown men weep...
**PRICELESS**
Adam Leinss

Re: Yet another BSOD after install thread.. PLZ Help.
PriceDoesntMatter <PriceDoesntMatter.2wmk6e@no-mx.forums.net> wrote
in news:PriceDoesntMatter.2wmk6e@no-mx.forums.net:

> I level world of warcraft accounts to sell and what i have is more
> than enough to run 12 instances of wow.. Each level 60 i sell goes
> for about 100-150 bucks.. and takes 14 days to level.. so now that
> i'm up and running and i have setup 12 accounts to level for me
> while i work, i'll have some 1000+mhz memory by the end of the
> month when i sell off all 12 of these guys.

So you are using a bot to level these accounts and then selling them
off as legit accounts?

Bad, bad, bad.

Adam
--