Upgrading RC1 without XP Home Edition Disc

=?Utf-8?B?S2V2MzQ3MQ==?=

Upgrading RC1 without XP Home Edition Disc
Hi there,

Sorry to sound like a complete amature and I hope this hasn't been answered
alreaady BUT I've recently done a clean install of RC1 onto my computer
(which had a factory installed version of Windows XP Home edition which I
faithfully registered with Microsoft as I always do). I went for the clean
install of Vista RC1 Build 5600 as I figured it was a great OS and I'd be
using it when it was out on full release in January anyway.

I've been reading that to upgrade from RC1 to Vista Home Premium I'd need to
re-install XP Home and then do an upgrade to VHP - Because my computer had XP
Home loaded at the factory I didn't receive an XP Home Installation disc. My
computer is a Compaq Presario - Do I need to contact HP for a copy of my XP
Home installation disc or will it be neccessary to spend another £70 on a
Full Version of VHP (instead of an upgrade) - a bit harsh since I was testing
Vista on Microsoft's behalf and have always used genuine copies of it's
software! My Genuine copy of Windows XP Home sticker is still on the side of
the computer with the Product Key if this was to help?

Any comments appreciated.
AJR

Re: Upgrading RC1 without XP Home Edition Disc
Having an XP CD to upgrade from RC1 is not indicated in the readme file
contained in the "Sources" folder on the Vista DVD.

It does address a problem with Task Scheduler when upgrading from RC1 in
that settings are not kept when upgrading to Vista RTM.

"Kev3471" <Kev3471@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> Sorry to sound like a complete amature and I hope this hasn't been
> answered
> alreaady BUT I've recently done a clean install of RC1 onto my computer
> (which had a factory installed version of Windows XP Home edition which I
> faithfully registered with Microsoft as I always do). I went for the clean
> install of Vista RC1 Build 5600 as I figured it was a great OS and I'd be
> using it when it was out on full release in January anyway.
>
> I've been reading that to upgrade from RC1 to Vista Home Premium I'd need
> re-install XP Home and then do an upgrade to VHP - Because my computer had
> XP
> Home loaded at the factory I didn't receive an XP Home Installation disc.
> My
> computer is a Compaq Presario - Do I need to contact HP for a copy of my
> XP
> Home installation disc or will it be neccessary to spend another £70 on a
> Full Version of VHP (instead of an upgrade) - a bit harsh since I was
> testing
> Vista on Microsoft's behalf and have always used genuine copies of it's
> software! My Genuine copy of Windows XP Home sticker is still on the side
> of
> the computer with the Product Key if this was to help?
>
> Any comments appreciated.

SAM-R

Re: Upgrading RC1 without XP Home Edition Disc
You can't do what you want to do. Vista RC1 is Ultimate. You can not go from
Ultimate to Home Premium. That is a downgrade and is not allowed. You can
upgrade from XP Home to Vista Home Premium.
Contact HP to get a replacement installation CD.

"Kev3471" <Kev3471@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> Sorry to sound like a complete amature and I hope this hasn't been
> answered
> alreaady BUT I've recently done a clean install of RC1 onto my computer
> (which had a factory installed version of Windows XP Home edition which I
> faithfully registered with Microsoft as I always do). I went for the clean
> install of Vista RC1 Build 5600 as I figured it was a great OS and I'd be
> using it when it was out on full release in January anyway.
>
> I've been reading that to upgrade from RC1 to Vista Home Premium I'd need
> re-install XP Home and then do an upgrade to VHP - Because my computer had
> XP
> Home loaded at the factory I didn't receive an XP Home Installation disc.
> My
> computer is a Compaq Presario - Do I need to contact HP for a copy of my
> XP
> Home installation disc or will it be neccessary to spend another £70 on a
> Full Version of VHP (instead of an upgrade) - a bit harsh since I was
> testing
> Vista on Microsoft's behalf and have always used genuine copies of it's
> software! My Genuine copy of Windows XP Home sticker is still on the side
> of
> the computer with the Product Key if this was to help?
>
> Any comments appreciated.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Upgrading RC1 without XP Home Edition Disc
Obtaining HP Recovery CDs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...cname=bph07143

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Kev3471" wrote:

[...]

nicholas hall

Re: Upgrading RC1 without XP Home Edition Disc
Not an answer to you question, but a question for you.

Where you testing RC1 for Microsoft (posting each bug you encountered) or
because YOU where interested in it and wanted to see what it was like (the
reason I installed RC1 and then RC2)?

NIK
"Kev3471" <Kev3471@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> Sorry to sound like a complete amature and I hope this hasn't been
> answered
> alreaady BUT I've recently done a clean install of RC1 onto my computer
> (which had a factory installed version of Windows XP Home edition which I
> faithfully registered with Microsoft as I always do). I went for the clean
> install of Vista RC1 Build 5600 as I figured it was a great OS and I'd be
> using it when it was out on full release in January anyway.
>
> I've been reading that to upgrade from RC1 to Vista Home Premium I'd need
> re-install XP Home and then do an upgrade to VHP - Because my computer had
> XP
> Home loaded at the factory I didn't receive an XP Home Installation disc.
> My
> computer is a Compaq Presario - Do I need to contact HP for a copy of my
> XP
> Home installation disc or will it be neccessary to spend another £70 on a
> Full Version of VHP (instead of an upgrade) - a bit harsh since I was
> testing
> Vista on Microsoft's behalf and have always used genuine copies of it's
> software! My Genuine copy of Windows XP Home sticker is still on the side
> of
> the computer with the Product Key if this was to help?
>
> Any comments appreciated.

Richard Urban

Re: Upgrading RC1 without XP Home Edition Disc
Any comments? Sure!

I am sure your computer came with a way to bring it back to the state it was
in when you purchased it. Restore the computer and activate the O/S. Then
install the purchased version of Vista.

Whether you saved the recovery CD's is another question.

Also, you weren't testing Vista on Microsoft's behalf. You were testing it
for the same reason that we all were testing the RC's. We wanted to see what
it was all about and wanted to be ahead of the pack.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Kev3471" <Kev3471@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> Sorry to sound like a complete amature and I hope this hasn't been
> answered
> alreaady BUT I've recently done a clean install of RC1 onto my computer
> (which had a factory installed version of Windows XP Home edition which I
> faithfully registered with Microsoft as I always do). I went for the clean
> install of Vista RC1 Build 5600 as I figured it was a great OS and I'd be
> using it when it was out on full release in January anyway.
>
> I've been reading that to upgrade from RC1 to Vista Home Premium I'd need
> re-install XP Home and then do an upgrade to VHP - Because my computer had
> XP
> Home loaded at the factory I didn't receive an XP Home Installation disc.
> My
> computer is a Compaq Presario - Do I need to contact HP for a copy of my
> XP
> Home installation disc or will it be neccessary to spend another £70 on a
> Full Version of VHP (instead of an upgrade) - a bit harsh since I was
> testing
> Vista on Microsoft's behalf and have always used genuine copies of it's
> software! My Genuine copy of Windows XP Home sticker is still on the side
> of
> the computer with the Product Key if this was to help?
>
> Any comments appreciated.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Upgrading RC1 without XP Home Edition Disc
By whatever means, you need to get XP running and activated OR purchase a
full edition of Vista.

"Kev3471" <Kev3471@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> Sorry to sound like a complete amature and I hope this hasn't been
> answered
> alreaady BUT I've recently done a clean install of RC1 onto my computer
> (which had a factory installed version of Windows XP Home edition which I
> faithfully registered with Microsoft as I always do). I went for the clean
> install of Vista RC1 Build 5600 as I figured it was a great OS and I'd be
> using it when it was out on full release in January anyway.
>
> I've been reading that to upgrade from RC1 to Vista Home Premium I'd need
> re-install XP Home and then do an upgrade to VHP - Because my computer had
> XP
> Home loaded at the factory I didn't receive an XP Home Installation disc.
> My
> computer is a Compaq Presario - Do I need to contact HP for a copy of my
> XP
> Home installation disc or will it be neccessary to spend another £70 on a
> Full Version of VHP (instead of an upgrade) - a bit harsh since I was
> testing
> Vista on Microsoft's behalf and have always used genuine copies of it's
> software! My Genuine copy of Windows XP Home sticker is still on the side
> of
> the computer with the Product Key if this was to help?
>
> Any comments appreciated.

John Barnes

Re: Upgrading RC1 without XP Home Edition Disc
Even if he as XP working as the qualifying OS, even if he can use that to
qualify an upgrade, he won't be able to upgrade RC1 (ultimate) back to Vista
Home Premium anyway. Even a full edition will not upgrade to a lesser
version.

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
> By whatever means, you need to get XP running and activated OR purchase a
> full edition of Vista.
>
> "Kev3471" <Kev3471@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Sorry to sound like a complete amature and I hope this hasn't been
>> answered
>> alreaady BUT I've recently done a clean install of RC1 onto my computer
>> (which had a factory installed version of Windows XP Home edition which I
>> faithfully registered with Microsoft as I always do). I went for the
>> clean
>> install of Vista RC1 Build 5600 as I figured it was a great OS and I'd be
>> using it when it was out on full release in January anyway.
>>
>> I've been reading that to upgrade from RC1 to Vista Home Premium I'd need
>> re-install XP Home and then do an upgrade to VHP - Because my computer
>> had XP
>> Home loaded at the factory I didn't receive an XP Home Installation disc.
>> My
>> computer is a Compaq Presario - Do I need to contact HP for a copy of my
>> XP
>> Home installation disc or will it be neccessary to spend another £70 on a
>> Full Version of VHP (instead of an upgrade) - a bit harsh since I was
>> testing
>> Vista on Microsoft's behalf and have always used genuine copies of it's
>> software! My Genuine copy of Windows XP Home sticker is still on the side
>> of
>> the computer with the Product Key if this was to help?
>>
>> Any comments appreciated.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Upgrading RC1 without XP Home Edition Disc
Agreed, but he can't do a custom install with an UE pk either unless the
legacy OS is there.