Install Ultimate without Media Center

Kevin

Install Ultimate without Media Center
Hello:

I am going to do a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate.

Is there a way to install without installing Windows Media Center? i.e.
during the process of installation, is this an option that can be deselected?
Or, after installation, is there a good way to uninstall?

Thanks!
P. Di Stolfo

Re: Install Ultimate without Media Center
Hello,

I think it's not even in the list in Programs and Features' "Turn Windows
Features on or off", so I think there's no way of completely disabling it.
You can uncheck and so disable all Media Center services in services.msc, of
course.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo
--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hello:
>
> I am going to do a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate.
>
> Is there a way to install without installing Windows Media Center? i.e.
> during the process of installation, is this an option that can be
> deselected?
> Or, after installation, is there a good way to uninstall?
>
> Thanks!

Richard G. Harper

Re: Install Ultimate without Media Center
No, you can't turn on and off some features of Vista and Media Center is
one. If you don't want Media Center then you should install a version that
does not contain it.

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I am going to do a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate.
>
> Is there a way to install without installing Windows Media Center? i.e.
> during the process of installation, is this an option that can be
> deselected?
> Or, after installation, is there a good way to uninstall?
>
> Thanks!

John Barnett MVP

Re: Install Ultimate without Media Center
Windows Media Center is part and parcel of Ultimate and can not be disabled
or uninstalled.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I am going to do a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate.
>
> Is there a way to install without installing Windows Media Center? i.e.
> during the process of installation, is this an option that can be
> deselected?
> Or, after installation, is there a good way to uninstall?
>
> Thanks!

Dwade9969 MCP

RE: Install Ultimate without Media Center
You can disable access to the program thru group policies. This also will
not allow you to start the services.

Go to Start/Run and type gpedit.msc <Enter>
In the Left pane navigate to Local Computer Policy\Computer
Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Media Center

In the right hand pane double click the entry "Do not allow Windows Media
Center to Run"

Select "Enabled"
Select "Apply"

Reboot your computer and you won't be able to start the services or access
media center.

I hope this helps.