MSDN Vista DVD and OEM serial

dssadsa

MSDN Vista DVD and OEM serial
I plan to install Vista from MSDN DVD. I know I can use legally it for one
month without serial #. At this time if I like it I plan to purchase OEM
version of Vista.

Will this OEM key allow me to activate Vista that was installed from MSDN
DVD?

Let's say I try to activate MSDN DVD installation with this OEM key and it
doesn't work. Does MS mark my OEM key as "stolen" or "illegitimate" in this
situation? I don't have a problem reinstalling from OEM DVD in this
situation, but it won't be much use if MS invalidated my OEM serial #

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: MSDN Vista DVD and OEM serial
MSN installation media will only accept a "retail" product key,
not an "OEM" product key.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"dssadsa" wrote:

I plan to install Vista from MSDN DVD. I know I can use legally it for one
month without serial #. At this time if I like it I plan to purchase OEM
version of Vista.

Will this OEM key allow me to activate Vista that was installed from MSDN
DVD?

Let's say I try to activate MSDN DVD installation with this OEM key and it
doesn't work. Does MS mark my OEM key as "stolen" or "illegitimate" in this
situation? I don't have a problem reinstalling from OEM DVD in this
situation, but it won't be much use if MS invalidated my OEM serial #

Rick Rogers

Re: MSDN Vista DVD and OEM serial
Hi,

The media and keys are not interchangeable, as Carey has stated you will not
be able to activate and MSDN install with an OEM key. You can do an in place
upgrade with the OEM media provided it is the same or higher version and use
the key at this point.

> Let's say I try to activate MSDN DVD installation with this OEM key and it
> doesn't work. Does MS mark my OEM key as "stolen" or "illegitimate" in
> this situation?

No, Microsoft will not mark the key as anything, it simply will not be
accepted when you try to use it to validate the installation. You'll not
even be offered the chance to activate.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/