Do I need another full license of Vista Ultimate?

Mark Conrad

Do I need another full license of Vista Ultimate?
Here is what I am trying to do.

I have two different PCs.

I bought one "full" retail version of Vista Ultimate, not the upgrade,
rather the full version for roughly $300, as I recall.

Installed that full version into one of the PCs, fine, everything works
to my satisfaction.

The remaining PC had Windows XP Pro in it.

Using the _same_ one license of Vista Ultimate, it gave me the choice
to upgrade the XP Pro to Vista, which I did, fine, everything works,
Microsoft allowed me to "activate" without question.

Why? Isn't that the same copy of Vista on two different PCs?

Will I have problems in the future with upgrades to the PCs?

What am I missing here?

Thanks for any light you can throw on this subject, obviously I do not
understand what might happen here.

Mark-
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Do I need another full license of Vista Ultimate?
The Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) file will eventually
flag one of your PC's as "non-genuine". Its only a matter of time.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mark Conrad" wrote:

Here is what I am trying to do.

I have two different PCs.

I bought one "full" retail version of Vista Ultimate, not the upgrade,
rather the full version for roughly $300, as I recall.

Installed that full version into one of the PCs, fine, everything works
to my satisfaction.

The remaining PC had Windows XP Pro in it.

Using the _same_ one license of Vista Ultimate, it gave me the choice
to upgrade the XP Pro to Vista, which I did, fine, everything works,
Microsoft allowed me to "activate" without question.

Why? Isn't that the same copy of Vista on two different PCs?

Will I have problems in the future with upgrades to the PCs?

What am I missing here?

Thanks for any light you can throw on this subject, obviously I do not
understand what might happen here.

Mark-
Bruce Chambers

Mark Conrad wrote:
> Here is what I am trying to do.
>
> I have two different PCs.
>
> I bought one "full" retail version of Vista Ultimate, not the upgrade,
> rather the full version for roughly $300, as I recall.
>
> Installed that full version into one of the PCs, fine, everything works
> to my satisfaction.
>

> The remaining PC had Windows XP Pro in it.
>
> Using the _same_ one license of Vista Ultimate, it gave me the choice
> to upgrade the XP Pro to Vista, which I did, fine, everything works,
> Microsoft allowed me to "activate" without question.
>
> Why? Isn't that the same copy of Vista on two different PCs?

Yes, it is using the same license on two PCs simultaneously, in
violation of the EULA. The "why" is that Windows Product Activation
(WPA) isn't a perfect anti-piracy method. After approximately 120 days,
Microsoft "drops" the record of any specific Product Key's activation.
They do this for, I believe, two reasons: first of all, the database
would grow to an enormous size, taking up ever increasing amounts for
storage capacity, and eventually becoming unmanageable, economically;
secondly, Microsoft does recognize that people will sometimes have to
reinstall the OS, and tried to ease the process by making the WPA as
"unburdensome" as practical, consistent with protecting their interests.

So, it would be possible for someone to install and activate a license,
wait 121 days, and then reuse that license. Microsoft is, despite the
appearance presented by WPA and the "Windows Genuine Advantage" (WGA)
programs, in reality, relying heavily (too heavily, in my opinion) upon
the basic integrity of its customers to prevent piracy. Microsoft is
hoping that people, once made aware of the licensing terms, will comply.
I think they're being overly optimistic, myself.

> Will I have problems in the future with upgrades to the PCs?

As Carey said, eventually, both machines will connect to Windows Update
within a close enough time frame, and the WGA mechanism will flag one of
them as "non-Genuine." (At least, that's how it is supposed to work.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Mark Conrad

Re: Do I need another full license of Vista Ultimate?
In article <#7C5CAX7HHA.5752@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

> > Why? Isn't that the same copy of Vista on two different PCs?

> Yes, it is using the same license on two PCs simultaneously, in
> violation of the EULA.

Thanks Bruce... (and Carey)

At the time I made the 2nd installation, I was not aware that it was not
legal, because I thought that Microsoft would not allow something like
that to happen unless it was legal.

Will buy another license to install in the 2nd PC, thanks again for
alerting me to what is going on here.

Mark-
Bruce Chambers

Mark Conrad wrote:

> Thanks Bruce... (and Carey)

You're welcome.

> At the time I made the 2nd installation, I was not aware that it was not
> legal, because I thought that Microsoft would not allow something like
> that to happen unless it was legal.

Yes, the WPA program is intended to stop, or at least drastically
reduce, such accidental violations, but, like most technical solutions
aimed at what is really a human behavioral issue, it isn't at all perfect.

> Will buy another license to install in the 2nd PC, thanks again for
> alerting me to what is going on here.

You can save some money by purchasing an Upgrade license, as you
already have a qualifying older OS for the 2nd computer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Do I need another full license of Vista Ultimate?
"I was not aware that..."
This is often called "casual copying" or "casual piracy" because the
person doing so usually has no idea that it is against the agreement.
Most of Microsoft's anti piracy measures are intended to stop just
this type.

Depending on the circumstances of installation, time between
installations etc, these are usually caught at activation.
As in your case, most do the right thing once they discover the error.

The determined thieves, on the other hand, do not worry about piracy
and take measures to keep their illegitimate goods which is one reason
the determined thieves often get away with it.
But then, that is the nature of thieves.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Mark Conrad" <noneof@urbusiness.invalid> wrote in message

> At the time I made the 2nd installation, I was not aware that it was
> not
> legal, because I thought that Microsoft would not allow something
> like
> that to happen unless it was legal.
>
> Will buy another license to install in the 2nd PC, thanks again for
> alerting me to what is going on here.
>
> Mark-

R. C. White

Re: Do I need another full license of Vista Ultimate?
Hi, Mark.

I've been meaning to look up the details on this because I want to use it
myself...

There is (or at least, there was) an option to purchase 2 additional
licenses for Windows Ultimate at a reduced price. The "family pack", or
some such title, was to let a family buy a single Vista package with two
additional product keys, so that they could use the single DVD-ROM to
install Vista on 3 separate computers. I bought a retail Vista Ultimate x64
and installed it on my grandson's computer; now his parents would like the
additional licenses so they can install it on their computers, too.

Maybe Carey or Bruce or Jupiter knows the URL so that you (and I) can find
the details for this. I've looked for it recently and not found it. Maybe
the offer expired?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Mark Conrad" <noneof@urbusiness.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <#7C5CAX7HHA.5752@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
> Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
>
>> > Why? Isn't that the same copy of Vista on two different PCs?

>> Yes, it is using the same license on two PCs simultaneously, in
>> violation of the EULA.

> Thanks Bruce... (and Carey)
>
> At the time I made the 2nd installation, I was not aware that it was not
> legal, because I thought that Microsoft would not allow something like
> that to happen unless it was legal.
>
> Will buy another license to install in the 2nd PC, thanks again for
> alerting me to what is going on here.
>
> Mark-

R. C. White

Re: Do I need another full license of Vista Ultimate?
Hello, again...

I found it - but it's not as good a deal as I remembered. :>(

It's the "Windows Vista Additional License Pack" and it's only about a $40
discount from full price.
"Windows Vista Ultimate Full $359.00"
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...owto.mspxStill, it might save you a few bucks.RC--R. C. White, CPASan Marcos, TXrc@grandecom.netMicrosoft Windows MVP(Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in messagenews:9C816F38-22B3-49E3-A08A-027941E02C73@microsoft.com...> Hi, Mark.>> I've been meaning to look up the details on this because I want to use itmyself...>> There is (or at least, there was) an option to purchase 2 additionallicenses for Windows Ultimate at a reduced price. The "family pack", orsome such title, was to let a family buy a single Vista package with twoadditional product keys, so that they could use the single DVD-ROM toinstall Vista on 3 separate computers. I bought a retail Vista Ultimate x64and installed it on my grandson's computer; now his parents would like theadditional licenses so they can install it on their computers, too.>> Maybe Carey or Bruce or Jupiter knows the URL so that you (and I) can findthe details for this. I've looked for it recently and not found it. Maybethe offer expired?>> RC>> "Mark Conrad" <noneof@urbusiness.invalid> wrote in messagenews:noneof-EE893E.09195202092007@earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net...>> In article <#7C5CAX7HHA.5752@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,>> Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:>>>>> > Why? Isn't that the same copy of Vista on two different PCs?>>>>>> Yes, it is using the same license on two PCs simultaneously, in>>> violation of the EULA.>>>> Thanks Bruce... (and Carey)>>>> At the time I made the 2nd installation, I was not aware that it was not>> legal, because I thought that Microsoft would not allow something like>> that to happen unless it was legal.>>>> Will buy another license to install in the 2nd PC, thanks again for>> alerting me to what is going on here.>>>> Mark-
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Do I need another full license of Vista Ultimate?
The family pack offered two Home Premiums with the purchase of one full
Ultimate for just $50 each but only in the US and Canada.. the offer was
pulled at 23:59, June 30th, 2007..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

dean-dean

Re: Do I need another full license of Vista Ultimate?
Hi R. C. You're right, there was such an offer. I believe the offer
expired June 30:

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...nts-today.aspx