Active or logical partition

Paul

Active or logical partition
If I'm setting up XP and Vista on separate drives for dual boot, do I make
both drives active? I've installed XP already and will be installing Vista
on the second hard drive but don't know if that second hard drive for Vista
should be set as active or logical.

dzomlija

Re: Active or logical partition

Your active partition is the one that the BIOS will boot from. In your
case, this will be the one that currently has XP on it. When you install
Vista to the second drive, it will automatically make the changes for
you on the "Active" hard drive's MBR.

When you then boot, you'll get a screen that gives you a choice of
which OS you want to load, "Microsoft Windows Vista" or "Previous
Versions".

However, if I might make a suggestion? You don't really want to be
wasting your time setting up dual-boot between Windows XP and Vista.

Because of the numerous, unfounded horror stories about Vista x64, I
originally setup dual-boot between XP Pro and Vista x64 Ultimate back in
February of this year. I discovered that I never rebooted into XP, and
so I wiped my entire system clean a couple of weeks later, and installed
Vista as the only OS.

All my favourite games and applications work on Vista without problems,
even some of the older ones that where around before XP! So if you're
worried about compatibility, then you really shouldn't be. As long as
you have all the correct Vista-certified drivers for your hardware,
you'll have no problems.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...
Paul

Re: Active or logical partition
Thanks very much for the info. Great information!
Paul

"dzomlija" <dzomlija.2w8tqe@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Your active partition is the one that the BIOS will boot from. In your
> case, this will be the one that currently has XP on it. When you install
> Vista to the second drive, it will automatically make the changes for
> you on the "Active" hard drive's MBR.
>
> When you then boot, you'll get a screen that gives you a choice of
> which OS you want to load, "Microsoft Windows Vista" or "Previous
> Versions".
>
> However, if I might make a suggestion? You don't really want to be
> wasting your time setting up dual-boot between Windows XP and Vista.
>
> Because of the numerous, unfounded horror stories about Vista x64, I
> originally setup dual-boot between XP Pro and Vista x64 Ultimate back in
> February of this year. I discovered that I never rebooted into XP, and
> so I wiped my entire system clean a couple of weeks later, and installed
> Vista as the only OS.
>
> All my favourite games and applications work on Vista without problems,
> even some of the older ones that where around before XP! So if you're
> worried about compatibility, then you really shouldn't be. As long as
> you have all the correct Vista-certified drivers for your hardware,
> you'll have no problems.
>

> --
> dzomlija
>
> ____________________________________
> Peter Alexander Dzomlija
> Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
> you die, so shall I be Reborn...

dzomlija

Re: Active or logical partition

Glad to help.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- Vista Ultimate x64
Paul Randall

Re: Active or logical partition
I don't agree completely with the other answers you have gotten so far.
This part of your question "but don't know if that second hard drive for
Vista should be set as active or logical" indicates you don't quite
understand the terminology enough to understand partitioning.

At first it is kind of difficult to understand the difference between a
physical hard drive and the various uses for the word "drive" when talking
about drives. A drive letter never refers to the physical hard drive - it
always refers to a partition on a hard drive or memory card or thumb drive
or whatever.

A brand new hard drive typically has zeros in every byte of every sector.
Prior to using the drive, you must initialize and partition it (perhaps
partitioning is initializing - I'm not sure). Windows can do this from the
instalation CD/DVD or under disc management within windows XP or Vista.
Physical drives are not 'set active' -- 'active' is a property of a primary
partition. Only one Primary partition should be active at one time. The
active partition is the one that the system will try to boot from. Primary
partitions can be hidden or not hidden. For primary partitions, only
non-hidden ones are assigned drive letters. (If you have less than four
primary partitions, you can have one extended partition. That extended
partition can be chopped into many partitions.

Following is come info I copied from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc....mspx?mfr=true
Most references to NT apply to WXP and Vista too.
<Quote>
Okay, let's do a short review. The Master Boot Record (MBR) on each hard
disk contains the Partition Table, and the computer uses the partition table
to determine how to access the disk. There is room in the partition table
for four entries, called (not surprisingly) partitions. A partition is a
portion of a hard disk that is set up to act like a separate physical hard
disk. A partition must be completely contained on one physical hard disk.
The MBR understands two types of partitions: primary and extended.
A primary partition is a portion of a physical hard disk marked as bootable
by NT, is formatted with a particular file system, and is assigned a drive
letter. With NT, there can be multiple partitions on a drive, of which one
at a time can be marked "active", meaning that you can boot from it.

An extended partition is effectively a logical disk and can be subdivided
into smaller logical drives. You can have only one extended partition per
hard disk.

The "System Partition" is the partition that contains the hardware specific
files used in loading and initializing the operating system. Only a primary
partition can be used as a system partition. Windows NT actually requires
that the system partition be a primary partition.

Then there's the Boot Partition. The boot partition is also used in starting
the operating system and contains the operating system files needed by the
OS. Both a primary partition and a logical drive in an extended partition
can be used as a boot partition.
</Quote>

Try skimming this URL and then read the parts that seem to apply to your
situation:

http://www.ata-atapi.com/hiwtab.htm

-Paul Randall

"Paul" <pcostanza@cox.net> wrote in message
> If I'm setting up XP and Vista on separate drives for dual boot, do I make
> both drives active? I've installed XP already and will be installing
> Vista on the second hard drive but don't know if that second hard drive
> for Vista should be set as active or logical.

John Barnes

Re: Active or logical partition
As you can glean from Paul's post, if you make it logical, you will never be
able to make it bootable when you decide to remove XP, you would have to
reinstall or continue to use the XP drive for your boot files. You should
make it primary and active.

"Paul" <pcostanza@cox.net> wrote in message
> If I'm setting up XP and Vista on separate drives for dual boot, do I make
> both drives active? I've installed XP already and will be installing
> Vista on the second hard drive but don't know if that second hard drive
> for Vista should be set as active or logical.

Paul

Re: Active or logical partition
Never expected to get so much info on this. Thanks to all.
I reinstalled Vista and other than some blue screen problems I'm working in,
it's just about complete

> As you can glean from Paul's post, if you make it logical, you will never
> be able to make it bootable when you decide to remove XP, you would have
> to reinstall or continue to use the XP drive for your boot files. You
> should make it primary and active.
>
> "Paul" <pcostanza@cox.net> wrote in message
>> If I'm setting up XP and Vista on separate drives for dual boot, do I
>> make both drives active? I've installed XP already and will be
>> installing Vista on the second hard drive but don't know if that second
>> hard drive for Vista should be set as active or logical.

R. C. White

Re: Active or logical partition
Hi, Paul.

Excellent post. One small quibble:
> primary partitions, you can have one extended partition. That extended
> partition can be chopped into many partitions.

The extended partition can be chopped into many logical drives.

Each primary partition and each logical drive can be assigned a "drive"
letter and separately formatted. The extended partition does not get a
drive letter and cannot be formatted as a unit.

The TechNet article you quoted from is dated 1999, before Vista or WinXP or
even Win2K, but most of it is still applicable today. Just shows that a few
hours spent studying the basic structure of hard disks will continue to pay
dividends through several generations of Windows. ;<)

And to Paul Costanza, the OP, no matter how many Windows installations you
have, the boot process will always start in the System Partition (usually
the first primary partition on the first hard drive - but not always) and
then branch to the boot volume (primary partition or logical drive holding
the \Windows folder) for whichever Windows installation you select from the
opening menu - and that opening menu is one of the things store in the
System Partition. So I like to have a single primary partition on the first
HD to serve as the System Partition, plus multiple logical drives - on
multiple hard drives - to serve as boot volumes for my multiple operating
systems.

As some writers have commented, "Those not sophisticated about such matters
may think it strange that we boot from the system partition and keep our
operating system files in the boot volume." But that's the way it has
always been. You might want to check out this KB article:
Definitions for system volume and boot volume
http://support.microsoft.com/default.../314470/EN-US/

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> requires that the system partition be a primary partition.
>
> Then there's the Boot Partition. The boot partition is also used in
> starting the operating system and contains the operating system files
> needed by the OS. Both a primary partition and a logical drive in an
> extended partition can be used as a boot partition.
> </Quote>
>
> Try skimming this URL and then read the parts that seem to apply to your
> situation:
>
> http://www.ata-atapi.com/hiwtab.htm
>
> -Paul Randall
>
> "Paul" <pcostanza@cox.net> wrote in message
>> If I'm setting up XP and Vista on separate drives for dual boot, do I
>> make both drives active? I've installed XP already and will be
>> installing Vista on the second hard drive but don't know if that second
>> hard drive for Vista should be set as active or logical.

Personally I don't agree with the definitions given in your link. Doesn't
agree with most of Microsoft published material.
for instance hardware-specific files that are needed to start Windows, such
as Ntldr, Boot.ini, and Ntdetect.com
should read software specific as this is for legacy nt booting OS's
(software) and has nothing to do with hardware.

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> [...]

>> actually requires that the system partition be a primary partition.
>>
>> Then there's the Boot Partition. The boot partition is also used in
>> starting the operating system and contains the operating system files
>> needed by the OS. Both a primary partition and a logical drive in an
>> extended partition can be used as a boot partition.
>> </Quote>
>>
>> Try skimming this URL and then read the parts that seem to apply to your
>> situation:
>>
>> http://www.ata-atapi.com/hiwtab.htm
>>
>> -Paul Randall
>>
>> "Paul" <pcostanza@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> If I'm setting up XP and Vista on separate drives for dual boot, do I
>>> make both drives active? I've installed XP already and will be
>>> installing Vista on the second hard drive but don't know if that second
>>> hard drive for Vista should be set as active or logical.

Hi, John.

I agree with your disagreement. KB 314470 was rewritten just last month to
apply to Vista, as well as earlier Windows versions. I'll let them know
that it needs still another revision.

As you suggest, Vista does not require these 3 files at all unless it is
dual-booting WinXP/2K/NT as well. The names of those 3 files did not change
from WinNT4 (at least - that's where I started with NT) to WinXP, but the
content of NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM grew with each new version of the
operating system, partly because each version needed to know how to boot all
the predecessor versions. Even in the SP2 version of WinXP, those files are
larger and dated later than in the original WinXP. And the WinXP x64
versions are still larger; maybe that's what made the article writer think
that the files were "hardware-specific", since the x64 versions were larger
than the x86 versions.

For Vista, the files that must be in the Root of the System Partition are
bootmgr (no extension) and the \Boot folder.

Thanks for pointing out the error, John.

RC