Downgrade back to original Vista

MarilynP

Downgrade back to original Vista

ok, so a few weeks ago I was having problems with my media player and I
tried everything...

then I inserted the Windows anytime Upgrade Disc and did an upgrade,
thinking it was like a repair or something.... after it upgraded my
media player worked and I was happy...

Later on I found out that I had installed a trial version of an
upgrade that was good for 30 days...

So now my question is how to I go back to my origanal version?

Do I have to do a clean install? and how would I do that? I only have
the Windows Anytime upgrade disc and Vista came pre-installed on my
computer...

My computer is partitioned into 2 drives so if I put all my files on
the other drive and then I do a clean install will those files on the
other drive be safe?

--
MarilynP
MarilynP's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=29591

http://forums.techarena.in

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Downgrade back to original Vista
Unless you want to utilize your computer manufacturer's
Windows Vista recovery method (which usually reformats
the hard drive) it would be far simpler to purchase a
Product Key for the Vista edition you upgraded to.

Windows Anytime Upgrade: Overview:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro.../overview.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"MarilynP"wrote:

[...]

well, seeing as how I can't afford to purchase the key for the upgrade
that is a no go....

so how to I go about reformatting the hard drive and like I mentioned
if I put all my files on the other partition will that partition get
reformatted to??

--
MarilynP
MarilynP's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=29591
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=811595

http://forums.techarena.in

John Barnes

Re: Downgrade back to original Vista
If that partition contains the restore file(s) then, it won't be
reformatted. You are better advised to save your data to external media.
There is no telling for sure what will happened to the data added to the
restore partition.

"MarilynP" <MarilynP.2w8xff@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> well, seeing as how I can't afford to purchase the key for the upgrade
> that is a no go....
>
> so how to I go about reformatting the hard drive and like I mentioned
> if I put all my files on the other partition will that partition get
> reformatted to??
>

> --
> MarilynP
> MarilynP's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=29591
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=811595
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Downgrade back to original Vista
What is the make and model of your computer?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"MarilynP" wrote:

well, seeing as how I can't afford to purchase the key for the upgrade
that is a no go....

so how to I go about reformatting the hard drive and like I mentioned
if I put all my files on the other partition will that partition get
reformatted to??

--
MarilynP
MarilynP's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=29591
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=811595

http://forums.techarena.in

MarilynP

Re: Downgrade back to original Vista

restore files? all I know is that it is called Data (D) and from what I
recall there was nothing in this partition...

--
MarilynP
MarilynP's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=29591
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=811595

http://forums.techarena.in

John Barnes

Re: Downgrade back to original Vista
I stated 'if'. Since you state that it is not a restore partition, then
what do you even have to restore with (as per your original question). If
you have a restore disk, It will usually restore the first partition to it's
factory condition. If you have a Vista DVD, you select where to install,
and you may need to have appropriate drivers if you have a SATA drive. If
you don't have anything, you need to contact the computer maker to see what
is available from them.

"MarilynP" <MarilynP.2w92zg@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> restore files? all I know is that it is called Data (D) and from what I
> recall there was nothing in this partition...
>
> John Barnes;3132057 Wrote:
>> If that partition contains the restore file(s) then, it won't be
>> reformatted. You are better advised to save your data to external
>> media.
>> There is no telling for sure what will happened to the data added to
>> the
>> restore partition.
>>
>> "MarilynP" <MarilynP.2w8xff@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > well, seeing as how I can't afford to purchase the key for the

>> upgrade
>> > that is a no go....
>> >
>> > so how to I go about reformatting the hard drive and like I

>> mentioned
>> > if I put all my files on the other partition will that partition get
>> > reformatted to??
>> >

>> > --
>> > MarilynP

>> > MarilynP's Profile:

>> http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=29591
>> > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=811595
>> >
>> > http://forums.techarena.in
>> >

> --
> MarilynP
> MarilynP's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=29591
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=811595
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

MarilynP

Re: Downgrade back to original Vista

yes, that is my point.. I am not sure how to do a restore or clean
install... all I have is the Windows anytime Upgrade disc... it does
have a clean install option on it but I am nut sure if that is for the
upgrade....

i just hate doing a clean install and reloading everything... so I was
just wondering if my stuff would be safe on the other drive....

--
MarilynP
MarilynP's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=29591
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=811595

http://forums.techarena.in

John Barnes

Re: Downgrade back to original Vista
A clean install will ask you where you want to install. It will not alter
any other partitions except the system partition (if different). You should
be safe in putting your data on the other partition. *** What you want to do
is to restore your computer to it's original condition and the 'trial
upgrade' disk isn't going to do that. You really need to contact the
computer maker and resolve how to restore it.

"MarilynP" <MarilynP.2w98jl@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> yes, that is my point.. I am not sure how to do a restore or clean
> install... all I have is the Windows anytime Upgrade disc... it does
> have a clean install option on it but I am nut sure if that is for the
> upgrade....
>
> i just hate doing a clean install and reloading everything... so I was
> just wondering if my stuff would be safe on the other drive....
>

> --
> MarilynP
> MarilynP's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=29591
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=811595
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Paul Randall

Re: Downgrade back to original Vista
Carey Frisch requested that you give us the brand and model of your
computer. Someone with a similar laptop might come by and give you advice
based on actual experience. Or one of us volunteers might go to the
manufacturer's web site, skim the manual, and be able to give you informed
assistance. It is really hard to help you with the small amount of info we
have to go on. Each brand an model may be set up differently.

-Paul Randall