XP/Vista dual boot quagmire

John

XP/Vista dual boot quagmire
Hi

I have independent installs of xp and vista on two separate sata disks. I
need to setup an xp/vista dual boot system. Some have advised using
VistaBootPRO but I have not really understood how. Could someone please give
me step by step instructions and specifically on;

1. What drive should be primary (xp or vista)?

2. In which OS should I run VistaBootPRO?

3. Trying to install vista boot loader, which drive(s) should I choose to
install it on?

Thanks

Regards

peter

Re: XP/Vista dual boot quagmire
John
I have dual booted Vista and XP in 2 seperate SATA HD..........I installed
XP with only one drive connected(SATA 0) once XP was fine I disconnected
that drive and connected the other SATA(SATA 1) and installed Vista.This way
each OS had their own MBR on their own drive.I used the BIOS boot options to
determine which drive to boot from.During the boot process my BIOS allowed
me to push F12 and then showed be a boot option screen where I would chose
eitther SATA 0 or SATA 1 to boot from...............I would explore that
option because it is easier to undo this dual boot than software choices.

If you are adament about the software dual boot ..the drive that is listed
as 1st boot other than CD is the drive that should hold the Vista boot
loader.
Might I suggest that you try a "start up repair" from your Vista disk..have
both drives connected run the startup repair and see if it picks up the XP
installation and creates the dual boot.I understand that at times this needs
to be done a few times as it fails to correct the issue at times.
good luck...........and I still like my way the best.
peter
"John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have independent installs of xp and vista on two separate sata disks. I
> need to setup an xp/vista dual boot system. Some have advised using
> VistaBootPRO but I have not really understood how. Could someone please
> give me step by step instructions and specifically on;
>
> 1. What drive should be primary (xp or vista)?
>
> 2. In which OS should I run VistaBootPRO?
>
> 3. Trying to install vista boot loader, which drive(s) should I choose to
> install it on?
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards

John

Re: XP/Vista dual boot quagmire
Hi Peter

My one does not let me choose the drive at start-up hence this problem.

Thanks

Regards

"peter" <peter@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> John
> I have dual booted Vista and XP in 2 seperate SATA HD..........I installed
> XP with only one drive connected(SATA 0) once XP was fine I disconnected
> that drive and connected the other SATA(SATA 1) and installed Vista.This
> way each OS had their own MBR on their own drive.I used the BIOS boot
> options to determine which drive to boot from.During the boot process my
> BIOS allowed me to push F12 and then showed be a boot option screen where
> I would chose eitther SATA 0 or SATA 1 to boot from...............I
> would explore that option because it is easier to undo this dual boot than
> software choices.
>
> If you are adament about the software dual boot ..the drive that is listed
> as 1st boot other than CD is the drive that should hold the Vista boot
> loader.
> Might I suggest that you try a "start up repair" from your Vista
> disk..have both drives connected run the startup repair and see if it
> picks up the XP installation and creates the dual boot.I understand that
> at times this needs to be done a few times as it fails to correct the
> issue at times.
> good luck...........and I still like my way the best.
> peter
> "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have independent installs of xp and vista on two separate sata disks. I
>> need to setup an xp/vista dual boot system. Some have advised using
>> VistaBootPRO but I have not really understood how. Could someone please
>> give me step by step instructions and specifically on;
>>
>> 1. What drive should be primary (xp or vista)?
>>
>> 2. In which OS should I run VistaBootPRO?
>>
>> 3. Trying to install vista boot loader, which drive(s) should I choose to
>> install it on?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Regards

John Barnes

Re: XP/Vista dual boot quagmire

">
> 1. What drive should be primary (xp or vista)?

Already advised Vista

> 2. In which OS should I run VistaBootPRO?

You have to run it on an OS that you can boot from the bootloader. In your
case that is only Vista

> 3. Trying to install vista boot loader, which drive(s) should I choose to
> install it on?

You already have it on the Vista drive. An easy try is to set Vista as
first in boot priority and run startup repair from the DVD up to 4 times,
with XP connected. See if it picks up the XP system, otherwise see my other
post.

> Thanks
>
> Regards

KickinChicken

Re: XP/Vista dual boot quagmire
unless your computer is made from wood , you have a BIOS option to select
Drive Boot Order...at startup, repeatedly tap F2,F12.

> Hi Peter
>
> My one does not let me choose the drive at start-up hence this problem.
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards
>
> "peter" <peter@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> John
>> I have dual booted Vista and XP in 2 seperate SATA HD..........I
>> installed XP with only one drive connected(SATA 0) once XP was fine I
>> disconnected that drive and connected the other SATA(SATA 1) and
>> installed Vista.This way each OS had their own MBR on their own drive.I
>> used the BIOS boot options to determine which drive to boot from.During
>> the boot process my BIOS allowed me to push F12 and then showed be a boot
>> option screen where I would chose eitther SATA 0 or SATA 1 to boot
>> from...............I would explore that option because it is easier to
>> undo this dual boot than software choices.
>>
>> If you are adament about the software dual boot ..the drive that is
>> listed as 1st boot other than CD is the drive that should hold the Vista
>> boot loader.
>> Might I suggest that you try a "start up repair" from your Vista
>> disk..have both drives connected run the startup repair and see if it
>> picks up the XP installation and creates the dual boot.I understand that
>> at times this needs to be done a few times as it fails to correct the
>> issue at times.
>> good luck...........and I still like my way the best.
>> peter
>> "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have independent installs of xp and vista on two separate sata disks.
>>> I need to setup an xp/vista dual boot system. Some have advised using
>>> VistaBootPRO but I have not really understood how. Could someone please
>>> give me step by step instructions and specifically on;
>>>
>>> 1. What drive should be primary (xp or vista)?
>>>
>>> 2. In which OS should I run VistaBootPRO?
>>>
>>> 3. Trying to install vista boot loader, which drive(s) should I choose
>>> to install it on?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Regards

John Barnes

Re: XP/Vista dual boot quagmire
Fixed boot priority and POST time option to select boot drive are two
different things. POST time options brings up all potentially bootable
drives by a function key, where you select 1 (may or may not really be
bootable).

"KickinChicken" <KickinChicken@home.soon> wrote in message
> unless your computer is made from wood , you have a BIOS option to select
> Drive Boot Order...at startup, repeatedly tap F2,F12.
>
> "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi Peter
>>
>> My one does not let me choose the drive at start-up hence this problem.
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> "peter" <peter@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>> John
>>> I have dual booted Vista and XP in 2 seperate SATA HD..........I
>>> installed XP with only one drive connected(SATA 0) once XP was fine I
>>> disconnected that drive and connected the other SATA(SATA 1) and
>>> installed Vista.This way each OS had their own MBR on their own drive.I
>>> used the BIOS boot options to determine which drive to boot from.During
>>> the boot process my BIOS allowed me to push F12 and then showed be a
>>> boot option screen where I would chose eitther SATA 0 or SATA 1 to
>>> boot from...............I would explore that option because it is easier
>>> to undo this dual boot than software choices.
>>>
>>> If you are adament about the software dual boot ..the drive that is
>>> listed as 1st boot other than CD is the drive that should hold the Vista
>>> boot loader.
>>> Might I suggest that you try a "start up repair" from your Vista
>>> disk..have both drives connected run the startup repair and see if it
>>> picks up the XP installation and creates the dual boot.I understand that
>>> at times this needs to be done a few times as it fails to correct the
>>> issue at times.
>>> good luck...........and I still like my way the best.
>>> peter

KickinChicken

Re: XP/Vista dual boot quagmire
Go play with yourself, idiot. I don't believe as asked for advise from a
fat, pimply momma's boy.

> Fixed boot priority and POST time option to select boot drive are two
> different things. POST time options brings up all potentially bootable
> drives by a function key, where you select 1 (may or may not really be
> bootable).
>
> "KickinChicken" <KickinChicken@home.soon> wrote in message
>> unless your computer is made from wood , you have a BIOS option to select
>> Drive Boot Order...at startup, repeatedly tap F2,F12.
>>
>> "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Hi Peter
>>>
>>> My one does not let me choose the drive at start-up hence this problem.
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Regards

KickinChicken

Re: XP/Vista dual boot quagmire
Hey moron John Barnes...read the post I responded to.
I know the difference between BIOS screen options and Boot Screen Options.
Look for my name in the forum...see when I ask for help....never.
Been using computers since you were crapping yellow.
Yesterday!! hahahahaha

> Fixed boot priority and POST time option to select boot drive are two
> different things. POST time options brings up all potentially bootable
> drives by a function key, where you select 1 (may or may not really be
> bootable).
>
> "KickinChicken" <KickinChicken@home.soon> wrote in message
>> unless your computer is made from wood , you have a BIOS option to select
>> Drive Boot Order...at startup, repeatedly tap F2,F12.
>>
>> "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Hi Peter
>>>
>>> My one does not let me choose the drive at start-up hence this problem.
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Regards

peter

Re: XP/Vista dual boot quagmire
me things thou dost protest too much.!!!!!!!!!!!
peter
> Hey moron John Barnes...read the post I responded to.
> I know the difference between BIOS screen options and Boot Screen Options.
> Look for my name in the forum...see when I ask for help....never.
> Been using computers since you were crapping yellow.
> Yesterday!! hahahahaha
>
> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>> Fixed boot priority and POST time option to select boot drive are two
>> different things. POST time options brings up all potentially bootable
>> drives by a function key, where you select 1 (may or may not really be
>> bootable).
>>
>> "KickinChicken" <KickinChicken@home.soon> wrote in message
>>> unless your computer is made from wood , you have a BIOS option to
>>> select Drive Boot Order...at startup, repeatedly tap F2,F12.

KickinChicken

Re: XP/Vista dual boot quagmire
me thinks you are ***
With a name like "peter"....