Problems with dual boot

Paul

Problems with dual boot
I had XP and Vista Ultimate installed on separate hard drives but needed a
bigger drive for XP so I cloned it. I removed the old drive, replaced the
new drive and booted but could not get a dual boot window. Because I'm
stupid, I messed things up and I've fixed it somewhat so that I can boot to
XP but no matter what I try, I can't get it to see Vista. I've tried
EasyBCD and VistaBootPro but with no luck.
What is the secret magical commands to fix this? Can I edit the boot.ini
manually to fix this?
Any help is appreciated.

Paul

John Barnes

Re: Problems with dual boot
Use your Vista DVD and do a start-up repair

"Paul" <pcostanza@cox.net> wrote in message
>I had XP and Vista Ultimate installed on separate hard drives but needed a
>bigger drive for XP so I cloned it. I removed the old drive, replaced the
>new drive and booted but could not get a dual boot window. Because I'm
>stupid, I messed things up and I've fixed it somewhat so that I can boot to
>XP but no matter what I try, I can't get it to see Vista. I've tried
>EasyBCD and VistaBootPro but with no luck.
> What is the secret magical commands to fix this? Can I edit the boot.ini
> manually to fix this?
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Paul

Paul

Re: Problems with dual boot
John, thanks for trying to help.
Vista repair does nothing for me. I still can only boot to XP. I'm given no
choice but it simply boots directly into XP.
I've put back the original drive and thought things would go well but it
seems that the cloned drive and my problems have effected the boot info on
the drive that Vista is installed on. I wish I knew how to fix this.
Paul

> Use your Vista DVD and do a start-up repair
>
> "Paul" <pcostanza@cox.net> wrote in message
>>I had XP and Vista Ultimate installed on separate hard drives but needed a
>>bigger drive for XP so I cloned it. I removed the old drive, replaced the
>>new drive and booted but could not get a dual boot window. Because I'm
>>stupid, I messed things up and I've fixed it somewhat so that I can boot
>>to XP but no matter what I try, I can't get it to see Vista. I've tried
>>EasyBCD and VistaBootPro but with no luck.
>> What is the secret magical commands to fix this? Can I edit the boot.ini
>> manually to fix this?
>> Any help is appreciated.
>>
>> Paul

John Barnes

Re: Problems with dual boot
Why don't you provide some information to help. You have two drives. One
XP one Vista. Do you have 1 partition on each? In XP (which you can boot
into) which is the system drive? It would be helpful if you could provide
the details from the Disk Manager i.e. system, boot, primary, active etc.
for each partition on each drive. Also indicate which drive has the files
ntldr, boot.ini and ntdetect.com also, bootmgr and Boot (folder)
You should also try to run startup repair at least 2-3 more times as many
have reported that it can take up to four time for it to work properly. You
are running it from the Vista install DVD aren't you? Did you get any
messages. Also, you can see your Vista files from the XP system can't you?