Upgrade from XP to Vista

Matthew

Upgrade from XP to Vista
Hi all,

My company is planning to upgrade all the desktop computers from Winxp to
Windows Vista, but I would like to know if I need to preapre anything before
the upgrade? Because I heard somebody stating that the organization have to
prepare something like license server in order to activiate the Windows.

We are now using select license key for Windows XP installation, just wanna
know if Windows Vista also provide such facility to install Windows Vista.

Thank you and looking forward from you soon.

Regards,
Matthew

Rick Rogers

Re: Upgrade from XP to Vista
Hi,

Unlike XP, all versions of Vista, even enterprise, require activation. For a
volume license holder, either a MAK or KMS configuration is used depending
on size and number of licenses. More here:
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/r...l/default.mspx

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Matthew" <nomail@email.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> My company is planning to upgrade all the desktop computers from Winxp to
> Windows Vista, but I would like to know if I need to preapre anything
> before the upgrade? Because I heard somebody stating that the organization
> have to prepare something like license server in order to activiate the
> Windows.
>
> We are now using select license key for Windows XP installation, just
> wanna know if Windows Vista also provide such facility to install Windows
> Vista.
>
> Thank you and looking forward from you soon.
>
> Regards,
> Matthew

Matthew

Re: Upgrade from XP to Vista
Dear Rick,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Regarding the Proxy Activation in MAK, it stated that Proxy Activation is
the most similar to VA 1.0 that we have been using up to now. Let say I got
500 computers in my organization that plan to upgrade to Vista, is there any
way to perform the activation? Or is there any reference from Microsoft?

As you know it is not convenient to setup a KMS when the computer is located
in the remote site without any Internet connection.

> Hi,
>
> Unlike XP, all versions of Vista, even enterprise, require activation. For
> a volume license holder, either a MAK or KMS configuration is used
> depending on size and number of licenses. More here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/r...l/default.mspx
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Matthew" <nomail@email.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My company is planning to upgrade all the desktop computers from Winxp to
>> Windows Vista, but I would like to know if I need to preapre anything
>> before the upgrade? Because I heard somebody stating that the
>> organization have to prepare something like license server in order to
>> activiate the Windows.
>>
>> We are now using select license key for Windows XP installation, just
>> wanna know if Windows Vista also provide such facility to install Windows
>> Vista.
>>
>> Thank you and looking forward from you soon.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Matthew

Seth

Re: Upgrade from XP to Vista
"Matthew" <nomail@email.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> My company is planning to upgrade all the desktop computers from Winxp to
> Windows Vista, but I would like to know if I need to preapre anything
> before the upgrade? Because I heard somebody stating that the organization
> have to prepare something like license server in order to activiate the
> Windows.

For a large quantity of machines you would use a KMS server so that each
machine doesn't have to connect to Microsoft. For a small number of
machines, you get a MAK key that can be used X number of times to activate
with Microsoft.

Rick Rogers

Re: Upgrade from XP to Vista
Hi Matthew,

MAK activations are single events, so unlike KMS ones you do not need to
periodically check (every 6M) to reactivate. For remote machine users, this
is usually the best option. Your best source of information on this would be
your SA/VL contact, but there is a nice planning overview here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb335288.aspx

--

> Dear Rick,
>
> Thank you very much for your reply.
>
> Regarding the Proxy Activation in MAK, it stated that Proxy Activation is
> the most similar to VA 1.0 that we have been using up to now. Let say I
> got 500 computers in my organization that plan to upgrade to Vista, is
> there any way to perform the activation? Or is there any reference from
> Microsoft?
>
> As you know it is not convenient to setup a KMS when the computer is
> located in the remote site without any Internet connection.

>> Hi,
>>
>> Unlike XP, all versions of Vista, even enterprise, require activation.
>> For a volume license holder, either a MAK or KMS configuration is used
>> depending on size and number of licenses. More here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/r...l/default.mspx
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Matthew" <nomail@email.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> My company is planning to upgrade all the desktop computers from Winxp
>>> to Windows Vista, but I would like to know if I need to preapre anything
>>> before the upgrade? Because I heard somebody stating that the
>>> organization have to prepare something like license server in order to
>>> activiate the Windows.
>>>
>>> We are now using select license key for Windows XP installation, just
>>> wanna know if Windows Vista also provide such facility to install
>>> Windows Vista.
>>>
>>> Thank you and looking forward from you soon.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Matthew

kctobyjoe

RE: Upgrade from XP to Vista
IF you can avoid upgrading, DO SO. There is mnore pitfalls from this OS than
you can shake a stick at!