product key in use

danny

product key in use
my father bought windows vista unpgrae and installed it on his computer . he
had a problem and could not reinstall the upgrade because he lost his xp full
program.
so he bought the full vista program and installed it fine . so he gave me
the vista upgrade so i could use it but when i installed it it says product
key is in use but my father got a differnet product key when he bought his
full program.

what should i do today is my last day to activate
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: product key in use
You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
(w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
Enter.
The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"danny" wrote:

my father bought windows vista unpgrae and installed it on his computer . he
had a problem and could not reinstall the upgrade because he lost his xp full
program.
so he bought the full vista program and installed it fine . so he gave me
the vista upgrade so i could use it but when i installed it it says product
key is in use but my father got a differnet product key when he bought his
full program.

what should i do today is my last day to activate
robert.stojanov@gmail.com

Re: product key in use
On 29 , 15:16, danny <da...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> my father bought windows vista unpgrae and installed it on his computer . he
> had a problem and could not reinstall the upgrade because he lost his xp full
> program.
> so he bought the full vista program and installed it fine . so he gave me
> the vista upgrade so i could use it but when i installed it it says product
> key is in use but my father got a differnet product key when he bought his
> full program.
>
> what should i do today is my last day to activate

Call the MS customer support center for your region they should help
you with the Key and Activating.

John Barnett MVP

Re: product key in use
Activate by telephone. See this link on my website:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/product...ady_in_use.htm

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"danny" <danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my father bought windows vista unpgrae and installed it on his computer .
> he
> had a problem and could not reinstall the upgrade because he lost his xp
> full
> program.
> so he bought the full vista program and installed it fine . so he gave me
> the vista upgrade so i could use it but when i installed it it says
> product
> key is in use but my father got a differnet product key when he bought his
> full program.
>
> what should i do today is my last day to activate

kctobyjoe

Re: product key in use
ok MS MVP WHAT is it that MS isn't telling us all, especially about Patch
Tues in July
THAT is when my machnie and keys got all F'd up!!!
When I called for phone activation they ONLY asked for 1 bank of the keys (
I believe there were 9 altogethrt)
SEEMS the first bank 'gave away' an issue they have but dont advertise!
FWIW my entire rig is 100% legit
No hacks no cracks no activation 'schemes' either!

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
> (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
> Enter.
> The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "danny" wrote:
>
> my father bought windows vista unpgrae and installed it on his computer . he
> had a problem and could not reinstall the upgrade because he lost his xp full
> program.
> so he bought the full vista program and installed it fine . so he gave me
> the vista upgrade so i could use it but when i installed it it says product
> key is in use but my father got a differnet product key when he bought his
> full program.
>
> what should i do today is my last day to activate

Rick Rogers

Re: product key in use
Hi,

There was a short "event" (Microsoft's term, not mine) when the WGA servers
went down, and systems that tried to validate against them interpreted the
inability to validate as being from an invalid license. This caused a number
of systems to display messages about being non-genuine and requiring
reactivation. The issue has been corrected.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"kctobyjoe" <kctobyjoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ok MS MVP WHAT is it that MS isn't telling us all, especially about Patch
> Tues in July
> THAT is when my machnie and keys got all F'd up!!!
> When I called for phone activation they ONLY asked for 1 bank of the keys
> (
> I believe there were 9 altogethrt)
> SEEMS the first bank 'gave away' an issue they have but dont advertise!
> FWIW my entire rig is 100% legit
> No hacks no cracks no activation 'schemes' either!
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
>> (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
>> Enter.
>> The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User

>> "danny" wrote:
>>
>> my father bought windows vista unpgrae and installed it on his computer .
>> he
>> had a problem and could not reinstall the upgrade because he lost his xp
>> full
>> program.
>> so he bought the full vista program and installed it fine . so he gave me
>> the vista upgrade so i could use it but when i installed it it says
>> product
>> key is in use but my father got a differnet product key when he bought
>> his
>> full program.
>>
>> what should i do today is my last day to activate

Donald McDaniel

Re: product key in use
> Hi,
>
> There was a short "event" (Microsoft's term, not mine) when the WGA
> servers went down, and systems that tried to validate against them
> interpreted the inability to validate as being from an invalid license.
> This caused a number of systems to display messages about being
> non-genuine and requiring reactivation. The issue has been corrected.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "kctobyjoe" <kctobyjoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> ok MS MVP WHAT is it that MS isn't telling us all, especially about Patch
>> Tues in July
>> THAT is when my machnie and keys got all F'd up!!!
>> When I called for phone activation they ONLY asked for 1 bank of the keys
>> (
>> I believe there were 9 altogethrt)
>> SEEMS the first bank 'gave away' an issue they have but dont advertise!
>> FWIW my entire rig is 100% legit
>> No hacks no cracks no activation 'schemes' either!
>>
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
>>> (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
>>> Enter.
>>> The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carey Frisch
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User

>>> "danny" wrote:
>>>
>>> my father bought windows vista unpgrae and installed it on his computer
>>> . he
>>> had a problem and could not reinstall the upgrade because he lost his xp
>>> full
>>> program.
>>> so he bought the full vista program and installed it fine . so he gave
>>> me
>>> the vista upgrade so i could use it but when i installed it it says
>>> product
>>> key is in use but my father got a differnet product key when he bought
>>> his
>>> full program.

A question: Did your father actually enter the new key when he installed
his new OS? Or did he continue to use the old key, which was supposed to be
transerred to you.

>>> what should i do today is my last day to activate

NOT so. You can activate your OS anytime you desire, so it is NOT "your
last day to activate". Of course, it will not function fully after day 30
until activated, but that can easily be remedied anytime you choose.
So don't get frightened. After all, this is not "rocket science" we're
talking about.

And STOP listening to all your ignorant friends, and READ Microsoft's
information about activation.

That's strange. Just a day ago, I read that after the server malfunction,
all activations supposedly defaulted to "valid", rather than "invalid".

But the OPs problem has nothing to do with the broken Activation servers.
They did the right thing when he attempted to activate a key which had
already been activated. They denied an activation, as they should have. He
should have immediately called the Activation Center, and spoken to the
tech, telling him/her how he obtained the OS. It would also have helped if
his father had been there to explain that he had transferred his retail
license to a second party, his son.

Donald McDaniel