Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

I screwed up my Vista - can I save the data

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2007
LM604
 

Posts: n/a
I screwed up my Vista - can I save the data

This all started when I forgot my password for a HP laptop running Vista
Home Premium. I had the "power Suite" by Spotmau disk, so I ran
their password reset program and blanked the password. It reported it
was successful. When I try to reboot, the computer hangs between the
"microsoft corporation" logo at the bottom of the screen and the Welcome
screen. When it hangs the screen is black except for a cursor arrow
which I can move around with the mouse.

I contacted Spotmau and they have said their software works on their
machine and they don't know why this happened to me or what I can do to
fix it. I have the OEM recovery disks which I am prepared to use to
reimage the box, BUT I do not want to lose my data. Is there a way I
can get to the data without Vista running? Or, any ideas on what is
causing it to hang and how I can fix it?

Any help will be much appreciated.

LM


--
LM604
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: I screwed up my Vista - can I save the data
Hi,

Saving the data would involve pulling the hard drive out and slaving it in
another machine to cherry pick data. There are adapters available for this
purpose.

According to Spotmau's site:
http://www.spotmau.com/products/package/full.htm this disk should also allow
you to recovery data. Personally, based on your experience thus far I would
be wary of any claims they make, but you may want to ask them exactly what
changes were made to the system when you used the password reset tool. It
may not be as Vista-compatible as they claim.

Depending on the amount of damage, you may be able to access the system in
one of the safe modes and run System Restore to recover the system.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"LM604" <LM604.2w26ue@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:LM604.2w26ue@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> This all started when I forgot my password for a HP laptop running Vista
> Home Premium. I had the "power Suite" by Spotmau disk, so I ran
> their password reset program and blanked the password. It reported it
> was successful. When I try to reboot, the computer hangs between the
> "microsoft corporation" logo at the bottom of the screen and the Welcome
> screen. When it hangs the screen is black except for a cursor arrow
> which I can move around with the mouse.
>
> I contacted Spotmau and they have said their software works on their
> machine and they don't know why this happened to me or what I can do to
> fix it. I have the OEM recovery disks which I am prepared to use to
> reimage the box, BUT I do not want to lose my data. Is there a way I
> can get to the data without Vista running? Or, any ideas on what is
> causing it to hang and how I can fix it?
>
> Any help will be much appreciated.
>
> LM
>
>
> --
> LM604


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2007
LM604
 

Posts: n/a
Re: I screwed up my Vista - can I save the data

Thanks for the response. I did ask them what changes their program made
and they have not answered that question. Spotmau asked what my
hardware setup was and claimed they replicated it and their program
worked. They said their programer had no idea of why it didn't work on
my setup. They offered a refund. I suppose that is quicker or easier
than trying to actually work through the problem. They must not care
that much about their program otherwise simple intellectual curiosity
and avoiding future issues should have compelled them to figure out what
went wrong. I am sure I am not the only one who has had or will have
this problem with their software.

Since I had nothing to lose, I did try their data recovery program and
it comes up with a double pane window with source on one side and
destination on other. But the source side is empty. It does not see
any of the folders or data on the C drive.

I had not thought about removing the hard drive. I do have an external
usb IDE case for a 3.5 hard drive. I do not know if the laptop drive
would fit, but that might be a solution.

In fooling around with the SpotMau disk, I found a way to get to the c:
prompt and I can find the most important data files using a dir command.
This laptop does not have a floppy drive. I do have a thumb drive I can
plug in. Is there a command that I could use to copy to the thumb
drive? How do I determine if the thumb drive is recognized and has a
drive letter?

Thanks for your help.

LM


--
LM604
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2007
Richard Urban
 

Posts: n/a
Re: I screwed up my Vista - can I save the data
There are external USB cases made specifically for 2 1/2 inch laptop drives.
The case you have will not be suitable due to the different interface.

--


Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
(For email, remove the obvious from my address)


"LM604" <LM604.2w2ug7@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:LM604.2w2ug7@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> Thanks for the response. I did ask them what changes their program made
> and they have not answered that question. Spotmau asked what my
> hardware setup was and claimed they replicated it and their program
> worked. They said their programer had no idea of why it didn't work on
> my setup. They offered a refund. I suppose that is quicker or easier
> than trying to actually work through the problem. They must not care
> that much about their program otherwise simple intellectual curiosity
> and avoiding future issues should have compelled them to figure out what
> went wrong. I am sure I am not the only one who has had or will have
> this problem with their software.
>
> Since I had nothing to lose, I did try their data recovery program and
> it comes up with a double pane window with source on one side and
> destination on other. But the source side is empty. It does not see
> any of the folders or data on the C drive.
>
> I had not thought about removing the hard drive. I do have an external
> usb IDE case for a 3.5 hard drive. I do not know if the laptop drive
> would fit, but that might be a solution.
>
> In fooling around with the SpotMau disk, I found a way to get to the c:
> prompt and I can find the most important data files using a dir command.
> This laptop does not have a floppy drive. I do have a thumb drive I can
> plug in. Is there a command that I could use to copy to the thumb
> drive? How do I determine if the thumb drive is recognized and has a
> drive letter?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> LM
>
>
> --
> LM604


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2007
LM604
 

Posts: n/a
Re: I screwed up my Vista - can I save the data

Thanks Richard. When I am looking at the command prompts that I get to
through Spotmau I assume they are the dos prompts. Is there a way to
use a usb thumb drive to copy data to from these prompts? Again thanks
for the insight.

LM604


--
LM604
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2007
Paul Randall
 

Posts: n/a
Re: I screwed up my Vista - can I save the data
Hi. Sorry to hear about your problem.
One solution might be to build a BartPE bootable CD. You could do this if
you have another WXP computer, or perhaps you could have a friend do it.
GROUPS.google search for BartPE in Microsoft's Vista & WXP newsgroups. This
boots up a windows preinstall environment which resides in memory and
doesn't disturb the hard drive until you want to access it. PE can present
thumbdrives as drive letters and of course accesses all the common Windows
drive formatting. There is an ISO (CD image that can be burned to replicate
the original CD) called ultimate boot disc, freely available on the net, and
an ISO burner freely available from M$, which also may give you access to
your NTFS partition and thumbdrives as drive letters. These are handy discs
to have in your computer toolbox.

-Paul Randall

"LM604" <LM604.2w2xx1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:LM604.2w2xx1@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> Thanks Richard. When I am looking at the command prompts that I get to
> through Spotmau I assume they are the dos prompts. Is there a way to
> use a usb thumb drive to copy data to from these prompts? Again thanks
> for the insight.
>
> LM604
>
>
> --
> LM604



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-30-2007
LM604
 

Posts: n/a
Re: I screwed up my Vista - can I save the data

Thanks Paul, I am working on the UBCD now. I tried the BartPE and could
get it to boot, but could not find my files that I know or on the C
drive. I am hoping the more complete tools of UBCD will do the trick.

LM


--
LM604
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-30-2007
LM604
 

Posts: n/a
Re: I screwed up my Vista - can I save the data

Update. The Ubcd4win worked and I have been able to copy the essential
data to a thumb drive. Thanks for all the help.
LM


--
LM604
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-31-2007
Paul Randall
 

Posts: n/a
Re: I screwed up my Vista - can I save the data
Thanks for the update. It's always good to hear success stories.

-Paul Randall

"LM604" <LM604.2w5ia2@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:LM604.2w5ia2@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> Update. The Ubcd4win worked and I have been able to copy the essential
> data to a thumb drive. Thanks for all the help.
> LM
>
>
> --
> LM604



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Outlook 2007 won't save passwords in Vista...save password box che Craig microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 10 11-16-2007 21:51
uTorrent screwed Vista pyber microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 24 08-19-2007 19:20
Re Win Vista screwed up my XP John Doe microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 08-01-2007 07:03
Re Win Vista screwed up my XP John Doe microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 0 07-31-2007 04:11
Win Vista screwed up my XP John Doe microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 07-31-2007 03:41




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:51.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120