BDD + Captured Wim

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5?=

BDD + Captured Wim
I've created a base image of Vista Business & installed some applications
Lotus Notes, Office, etc. After completing the base image I ran SysPrep /oobe
/generalize /shutdown, and captured the image. Now, I'm wanting to deploy my
custom.wim using BDD. I thought you could do this by adding it to BDD as a
Captured WIM, however when I start my installation it can not find it. Is
something missing, or can it only be deployed using imagex?

Thx....
Josh Phillips

Re: BDD + Captured Wim
We are using a Windows Deployemen Services server. This is a longhorn
server role or one you can add to Windows server 2003 from a hotfix that is
in the Windows Automated installation kit.

I think this might be what you want.

Josh
http://windowsconnected.com

"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've created a base image of Vista Business & installed some applications
> Lotus Notes, Office, etc. After completing the base image I ran SysPrep
> /oobe
> /generalize /shutdown, and captured the image. Now, I'm wanting to deploy
> my
> custom.wim using BDD. I thought you could do this by adding it to BDD as a
> Captured WIM, however when I start my installation it can not find it. Is
> something missing, or can it only be deployed using imagex?
>
> Thx....

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5?=

Re: BDD + Captured Wim
I've seen posts where WDS cannot be used through Routers is this true? Or
have you experienced any problems deploying it remotely?

"Josh Phillips" wrote:

> We are using a Windows Deployemen Services server. This is a longhorn
> server role or one you can add to Windows server 2003 from a hotfix that is
> in the Windows Automated installation kit.
>

> I think this might be what you want.
>
> Josh
> http://windowsconnected.com
>

> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've created a base image of Vista Business & installed some applications
> > Lotus Notes, Office, etc. After completing the base image I ran SysPrep
> > /oobe
> > /generalize /shutdown, and captured the image. Now, I'm wanting to deploy
> > my
> > custom.wim using BDD. I thought you could do this by adding it to BDD as a
> > Captured WIM, however when I start my installation it can not find it. Is
> > something missing, or can it only be deployed using imagex?
> >
> > Thx....

Mike Lewis \(MS\)

Re: BDD + Captured Wim
If you create hte referndce imaqge using BDD, it can automate the build,
sysprep, and capture and ensure the right info is in the WIM file header.

Most likely your capture is missing the /FLAGS value with the SKU you are
using (e.g. ENTERPRISE). Setup requires this, so I believe WDS will too.
BDD uses Setup.exe.

- Mike

"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've created a base image of Vista Business & installed some applications
> Lotus Notes, Office, etc. After completing the base image I ran SysPrep
> /oobe
> /generalize /shutdown, and captured the image. Now, I'm wanting to deploy
> my
> custom.wim using BDD. I thought you could do this by adding it to BDD as a
> Captured WIM, however when I start my installation it can not find it. Is
> something missing, or can it only be deployed using imagex?
>
> Thx....

Mike Lewis \(MS\)

Re: BDD + Captured Wim
WDS can be used through routers provided certain things are done to permit
it, IPHelper config for example. The WDS chm file has some information on
this. Most of the issues are generic to PXE boot process, for most any PXE
boot service.

- Mike

> I've seen posts where WDS cannot be used through Routers is this true? Or
> have you experienced any problems deploying it remotely?
>
> "Josh Phillips" wrote:
>
>> We are using a Windows Deployemen Services server. This is a longhorn
>> server role or one you can add to Windows server 2003 from a hotfix that
>> is
>> in the Windows Automated installation kit.
>>

>> I think this might be what you want.
>>
>> Josh
>> http://windowsconnected.com
>>

>> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've created a base image of Vista Business & installed some
>> > applications
>> > Lotus Notes, Office, etc. After completing the base image I ran SysPrep
>> > /oobe
>> > /generalize /shutdown, and captured the image. Now, I'm wanting to
>> > deploy
>> > my
>> > custom.wim using BDD. I thought you could do this by adding it to BDD
>> > as a
>> > Captured WIM, however when I start my installation it can not find it.
>> > Is
>> > something missing, or can it only be deployed using imagex?
>> >
>> > Thx....

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5?=

Re: BDD + Captured Wim
Mike,

You hit it exactly I was missing the /Flags parameter. Thanks for all the
help....