Downgrading Vista Business OEM to XP Pro OEM, Possible?

chucky2

Downgrading Vista Business OEM to XP Pro OEM, Possible?
My uncles business has an old machine running XP Pro SP2 OEM that simply
cannot handle old software anymore, so I'll be building him a new modern
machine.

The problem is the software he needs to run doesn't run on Vista, it's a
known issue.

We'd like to buy Vista Business OEM for the new machine for future use (when
the software finally works on Vista), but use his XP Pro SP2 OEM disk and key
on the new machine, and also on the old.

I know this is in effect using the same key on two completely different
machines, however two licences have been purchased so I'd think this should
be OK with Microsoft.

Does anyone know if this is legit legally and if is, from a Windows
Update/Validation point of view?

Thanks either way!

Chuck
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: Downgrading Vista Business OEM to XP Pro OEM, Possible?

"chucky2" <chucky2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F3A1C16-6DBD-4184-BCC3-BFC6358C03AD@microsoft.com...
> My uncles business has an old machine running XP Pro SP2 OEM that simply
> cannot handle old software anymore, so I'll be building him a new modern
> machine.
>
> The problem is the software he needs to run doesn't run on Vista, it's a
> known issue.
>
> We'd like to buy Vista Business OEM for the new machine for future use (when
> the software finally works on Vista), but use his XP Pro SP2 OEM disk and key
> on the new machine, and also on the old.
>
> I know this is in effect using the same key on two completely different
> machines, however two licences have been purchased so I'd think this should
> be OK with Microsoft.
>
> Does anyone know if this is legit legally and if is, from a Windows
> Update/Validation point of view?

No... not legal. Buy a second OEM copy of XP.... it's only $99.
Build an XP system and there will be no driver or software issues.
I'd wait until VISTA has been around for a while longer and is further
de-bugged before committing.

IMHO, you're better off running XP until VISTA is out of Beta, or as
long as you don't care to have a user profile built on your machine's
activities.

John Barnes

Re: Downgrading Vista Business OEM to XP Pro OEM, Possible?
If you have a second license you have a second key, use it. The license for
an OEM product is tied to the computer it came on or is first installed on.
Since the activation algorithm will be different for each machine,
activation will be required each time the computer checks it, which isn't as
often with XP as Vista, but do really want that? Buy another OEM product
key or use the key that came with your second license.

"chucky2" <chucky2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My uncles business has an old machine running XP Pro SP2 OEM that simply
> cannot handle old software anymore, so I'll be building him a new modern
> machine.
>
> The problem is the software he needs to run doesn't run on Vista, it's a
> known issue.
>
> We'd like to buy Vista Business OEM for the new machine for future use
> (when
> the software finally works on Vista), but use his XP Pro SP2 OEM disk and
> key
> on the new machine, and also on the old.
>
> I know this is in effect using the same key on two completely different
> machines, however two licences have been purchased so I'd think this
> should
> be OK with Microsoft.
>
> Does anyone know if this is legit legally and if is, from a Windows
> Update/Validation point of view?
>
> Thanks either way!
>
> Chuck

Kerry Brown

Re: Downgrading Vista Business OEM to XP Pro OEM, Possible?
"chucky2" <chucky2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My uncles business has an old machine running XP Pro SP2 OEM that simply
> cannot handle old software anymore, so I'll be building him a new modern
> machine.
>
> The problem is the software he needs to run doesn't run on Vista, it's a
> known issue.
>
> We'd like to buy Vista Business OEM for the new machine for future use
> (when
> the software finally works on Vista), but use his XP Pro SP2 OEM disk and
> key
> on the new machine, and also on the old.
>
> I know this is in effect using the same key on two completely different
> machines, however two licences have been purchased so I'd think this
> should
> be OK with Microsoft.
>
> Does anyone know if this is legit legally and if is, from a Windows
> Update/Validation point of view?
>
> Thanks either way!

Yes, that's possible and legal. Vista Business has downgrade rights to XP
Pro. Even though you installed XP using a key from another computer the
license is actually from the copy of Vista you have. You will have to phone
in for activation of XP and explain that you are exercising your downgrade
rights from Vista.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...rencesheet.pdf

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message news:OMZrL2V6HHA.3740@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> If you have a second license you have a second key, use it.

Interesting. You're saying that a VISTA license will activate XP ?

"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message news:B98DAC60-6B78-47BF-96BB-A6F8AF0C0A62@microsoft.com...

> "chucky2" <chucky2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > My uncles business has an old machine running XP Pro SP2 OEM that simply
> > cannot handle old software anymore, so I'll be building him a new modern
> > machine.
> >
> > The problem is the software he needs to run doesn't run on Vista, it's a
> > known issue.
> >
> > We'd like to buy Vista Business OEM for the new machine for future use (when
> > the software finally works on Vista), but use his XP Pro SP2 OEM disk and key
> > on the new machine, and also on the old.
> >
> > I know this is in effect using the same key on two completely different
> > machines, however two licences have been purchased so I'd think this
> > should be OK with Microsoft.
> >
> > Does anyone know if this is legit legally and if is, from a Windows
> > Update/Validation point of view?
> >
> > Thanks either way!

> Yes, that's possible and legal. Vista Business has downgrade rights to XP
> Pro. Even though you installed XP using a key from another computer the
> license is actually from the copy of Vista you have. You will have to phone
> in for activation of XP and explain that you are exercising your downgrade
> rights from Vista.
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...rencesheet.pdf

So the actual VISTA key will NOT activate XP ?

And if the key is used for such by phone, then VISTA can no longer be activated?

John Barnes

Re: Downgrading Vista Business OEM to XP Pro OEM, Possible?
No. You didn't say what 2 licenses you had. Kerry says you can downgrade
with your vista license, so follow his advice.

> If you have a second license you have a second key, use it. The license
> for an OEM product is tied to the computer it came on or is first
> installed on. Since the activation algorithm will be different for each
> machine, activation will be required each time the computer checks it,
> which isn't as often with XP as Vista, but do really want that? Buy
> another OEM product key or use the key that came with your second license.
>
> "chucky2" <chucky2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My uncles business has an old machine running XP Pro SP2 OEM that simply
>> cannot handle old software anymore, so I'll be building him a new modern
>> machine.
>>
>> The problem is the software he needs to run doesn't run on Vista, it's a
>> known issue.
>>
>> We'd like to buy Vista Business OEM for the new machine for future use
>> (when
>> the software finally works on Vista), but use his XP Pro SP2 OEM disk and
>> key
>> on the new machine, and also on the old.
>>
>> I know this is in effect using the same key on two completely different
>> machines, however two licences have been purchased so I'd think this
>> should
>> be OK with Microsoft.
>>
>> Does anyone know if this is legit legally and if is, from a Windows
>> Update/Validation point of view?
>>
>> Thanks either way!
>>
>> Chuck

chucky2

Re: Downgrading Vista Business OEM to XP Pro OEM, Possible?
Hey Kerry, Thanks!

That's exactly what I was looking for!

Chuck
Kerry Brown

newsBF21C21-3552-440A-8064-ACCE3B9C18FD@microsoft.com...
> Hey Kerry, Thanks!
>
> That's exactly what I was looking for!
>
> Chuck

One thing I forgot to mention. If your OEM version of XP came is BIOS locked
you won't be able to install it.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Kerry Brown

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <findme@m-a-m-s.comC/Odm> wrote in message

>> "chucky2" <chucky2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > My uncles business has an old machine running XP Pro SP2 OEM that
>> > simply
>> > cannot handle old software anymore, so I'll be building him a new
>> > modern
>> > machine.
>> >
>> > The problem is the software he needs to run doesn't run on Vista, it's
>> > known issue.
>> >
>> > We'd like to buy Vista Business OEM for the new machine for future use
>> > (when
>> > the software finally works on Vista), but use his XP Pro SP2 OEM disk
>> > and key
>> > on the new machine, and also on the old.
>> >
>> > I know this is in effect using the same key on two completely different
>> > machines, however two licences have been purchased so I'd think this
>> > should be OK with Microsoft.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know if this is legit legally and if is, from a Windows
>> > Update/Validation point of view?
>> >
>> > Thanks either way!

>> Yes, that's possible and legal. Vista Business has downgrade rights to XP
>> Pro. Even though you installed XP using a key from another computer the
>> license is actually from the copy of Vista you have. You will have to
>> phone
>> in for activation of XP and explain that you are exercising your
>> downgrade
>> rights from Vista.
>>
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...rencesheet.pdf

> So the actual VISTA key will NOT activate XP ?
>
> And if the key is used for such by phone, then VISTA can no longer be
> activated?

The XP install won't finish unless you provide an XP key. Keys are specific
to the version, i.e. an OEM XP Pro US English key will only work with that
exact version of XP.

The Vista key never gets used or entered anywhere. If at some later point
you wish to install Vista on the same computer it will work. The key point
is that as you are using OEM software you can run Vista or a downgrade to XP
Pro on that computer with that license. Keys are not licenses and vice
versa. You have a license to run Vista business on that computer. Part of
that license says that you can downgrade to XP Pro on that computer. You
can't install XP Pro and Vista at the same. It's one or the other and only
on that computer. My advice is to take an image of all the partitions on the
disk and store it away for future use. Format the drive and install XP Pro
using the key from the other computer. Phone to activate it and explain what
you've done. It should be activated. If they won't point them to the link I
posted. When you want to return to Vista restore the image you created. Note
that the downgrade rights are very specific. You can only downgrade from
Vista Business or Ultimate to XP Pro, Tablet, or Pro x64. You can't
downgrade to XP Home or media Center. Nor can you downgrade from Vista Home
basic or Premium.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User