Impossible to install printers with Vista

LisaS

Impossible to install printers with Vista
We have two identical machines running Vista Home Premium. Over the past two
days, we have tried to install two printers - a HP LaserJet 1020 and a Canon
Pixma iP4300. Regardless of the computer we use and whether we use the
provided CD for installation or download the drivers from the appropriate web
sites, the printers just will not install. The installation will proceed as
if everything is fine but we continually get the message that Vista cannot
find the printer driver anywhere on the hard disk.

We are at our wits end on this. And we have experienced other installation
problems with anything that requires a USB connection.

JW

Re: Impossible to install printers with Vista
Is it possible that you installed the XP drivers from the CD and the XP
drivers from the Website instead of the Vista drivers for the version of
Vista HP you are using (32 bit or 64 bit)?

"LisaS" <LisaS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have two identical machines running Vista Home Premium. Over the past
> two
> days, we have tried to install two printers - a HP LaserJet 1020 and a
> Canon
> Pixma iP4300. Regardless of the computer we use and whether we use the
> provided CD for installation or download the drivers from the appropriate
> web
> sites, the printers just will not install. The installation will proceed
> as
> if everything is fine but we continually get the message that Vista cannot
> find the printer driver anywhere on the hard disk.
>
> We are at our wits end on this. And we have experienced other
> installation
> problems with anything that requires a USB connection.

User66

Re: Impossible to install printers with Vista
Hope you have downloaded the HP LaserJet 1020 drivers from

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...9320 &lang=en

I had difficult time with HP LaserJet 1020, but after I loaded the latest drivers,
it is working now.

I don't have any info for the Canon printer, but I am sure if you find the latest driver
you will be able to use the printer.

"LisaS" <LisaS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CDF9B01-C55E-4E32-AEA4-AC3F1266F6A2@microsoft.com...
> We have two identical machines running Vista Home Premium. Over the past two
> days, we have tried to install two printers - a HP LaserJet 1020 and a Canon
> Pixma iP4300. Regardless of the computer we use and whether we use the
> provided CD for installation or download the drivers from the appropriate web
> sites, the printers just will not install. The installation will proceed as
> if everything is fine but we continually get the message that Vista cannot
> find the printer driver anywhere on the hard disk.
>
> We are at our wits end on this. And we have experienced other installation
> problems with anything that requires a USB connection.

LisaS

Re: Impossible to install printers with Vista
JW - A valid question, but we did snag the Vista drivers.

User66 - I won't have time to try your web link before I head into work this
morning but I will try it later today and get back to you.

"User66" wrote:

> Hope you have downloaded the HP LaserJet 1020 drivers from
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...9320 &lang=en
>
> I had difficult time with HP LaserJet 1020, but after I loaded the latest drivers,
> it is working now.
>
> I don't have any info for the Canon printer, but I am sure if you find the latest driver
> you will be able to use the printer.
>

> "LisaS" <LisaS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CDF9B01-C55E-4E32-AEA4-AC3F1266F6A2@microsoft.com...
> > We have two identical machines running Vista Home Premium. Over the past two
> > days, we have tried to install two printers - a HP LaserJet 1020 and a Canon
> > Pixma iP4300. Regardless of the computer we use and whether we use the
> > provided CD for installation or download the drivers from the appropriate web
> > sites, the printers just will not install. The installation will proceed as
> > if everything is fine but we continually get the message that Vista cannot
> > find the printer driver anywhere on the hard disk.
> >
> > We are at our wits end on this. And we have experienced other installation
> > problems with anything that requires a USB connection.

JW

Re: Impossible to install printers with Vista
Good, but as I suggested they may have separate Vista and Vista64 drivers
and it they do hopefully you snagged the right ones.

> JW - A valid question, but we did snag the Vista drivers.
>
> User66 - I won't have time to try your web link before I head into work
> this
> morning but I will try it later today and get back to you.
>
> "User66" wrote:
>
>> Hope you have downloaded the HP LaserJet 1020 drivers from
>>
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...9320 &lang=en
>>
>> I had difficult time with HP LaserJet 1020, but after I loaded the latest
>> drivers,
>> it is working now.
>>
>> I don't have any info for the Canon printer, but I am sure if you find
>> the latest driver
>> you will be able to use the printer.
>>

>> "LisaS" <LisaS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We have two identical machines running Vista Home Premium. Over the
>> > past two
>> > days, we have tried to install two printers - a HP LaserJet 1020 and a
>> > Canon
>> > Pixma iP4300. Regardless of the computer we use and whether we use the
>> > provided CD for installation or download the drivers from the
>> > appropriate web
>> > sites, the printers just will not install. The installation will
>> > proceed as
>> > if everything is fine but we continually get the message that Vista
>> > cannot
>> > find the printer driver anywhere on the hard disk.
>> >
>> > We are at our wits end on this. And we have experienced other
>> > installation
>> > problems with anything that requires a USB connection.

LisaS

Re: Impossible to install printers with Vista
I can say that we have been 75% successful. The Canon technical support
people sent an alternate web link to download their drivers and I got that
working on both of our computers without any difficulty. Since we have a
print server coming in the next day or so that will accomodate two USB
printers, that is a good thing.

But I was able to get the HP LaserJet 1020 printer installed on only one of
the two computers - the one the kids primarily use, regrettably. When I
tried to install it on the other one, it comes up with an "Installation
Failed" error. Clearing out the files in the C:\Program Files\Hewlett
Packard folder the installation program created (actually removing the
subdirectory from the hard drive) and clearing the registry with Uniblue
Registry Booster 2 did not solve the problem. Maybe I just need to look at
the screen cross-eyed while it is installing will take care of it...

"JW" wrote:

> Good, but as I suggested they may have separate Vista and Vista64 drivers
> and it they do hopefully you snagged the right ones.
>
> "LisaS" <LisaS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > JW - A valid question, but we did snag the Vista drivers.
> >
> > User66 - I won't have time to try your web link before I head into work
> > this
> > morning but I will try it later today and get back to you.
> >
> > "User66" wrote:
> >
> >> Hope you have downloaded the HP LaserJet 1020 drivers from
> >>
> >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...9320 &lang=en
> >>
> >> I had difficult time with HP LaserJet 1020, but after I loaded the latest
> >> drivers,
> >> it is working now.
> >>
> >> I don't have any info for the Canon printer, but I am sure if you find
> >> the latest driver
> >> you will be able to use the printer.

BillH

RE: Impossible to install printers with Vista
I has the similar problem on my new notebook which has Window Vista Home
Premium. I installed a HP officejet 6100 without any problem. I tried to
install a new HP photomart C4250 or a new EPSON CX7400 printer on the same
notebook; and I always got "Window can not find printer driver" during the
installation process even though the installatin CD was in the DVD drive. I
did go to HP Web site to download the driver; but I still had the same
problem.

Do you have any solution for your problem yet? Thanks