RE: Windows Vista Activation

Problem

RE: Windows Vista Activation
I have a problem with vista home edition.After a month of running very well
and receiving updates i recevied every day a pop op on my startbar that could
activate vista.
i must re-install it ?
John Barnett MVP

Re: Windows Vista Activation
Have you already activated Vista? Is the copy of Vista a retail copy or an
OEM? You may have to telephone the activation line as I suggested to Fiann
in the post below. See the link on my website:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/product...ady_in_use.htm

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Problem" <Problem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a problem with vista home edition.After a month of running very well
> and receiving updates i recevied every day a pop op on my startbar that
> could
> activate vista.
> i must re-install it ?

Problem

Re: Windows Vista Activation
Yes,my Vista is original i bought it the second day after it was launch in
Romania,this winter .
I used it for a time and i didn`t have this problem,but a month ago i bpught
a new pc,and after some time i receved this problem.
On that old pc that i had this issue wasent present.
Maybe is an error,because every time i installed vista i activated before
starting the instalation,so i`m clueless right now.
Seth

> Yes,my Vista is original i bought it the second day after it was launch in
> Romania,this winter .
> I used it for a time and i didn`t have this problem,but a month ago i
> bpught
> a new pc,and after some time i receved this problem.
> On that old pc that i had this issue wasent present.
> Maybe is an error,because every time i installed vista i activated before
> starting the instalation,so i`m clueless right now.

If your copy of Vista is an upgrade it is bound to the machine you installed
it on. If it is a Full version then you can install it on a new PC after
decommissioning the old one.

You will have to contact Microsoft for help re-activating. Once the key is
used, it can't auto-activate anymore.

Problem

Re: Windows Vista Activation
Well this will be a problem because i don`t think in my country is a
department of Microsoft for me to call and activate.
John Barnett MVP

Re: Windows Vista Activation
Seth is right in that, if you upgraded, the upgrade is locked to that
machine; fortunately, you don't get this problem with a full retail version.
Another problem, of course, is that, during the upgrade Vista invalidates
your previous operating system product key, so, technically, you can't even
re-install XP (or whatever operating system you had previously). The only
option would be to contact Microsoft.

As for the activation number, have you tried clicking on the activation icon
and choosing the telephone option to see if a local number is displayed?

--

> Well this will be a problem because i don`t think in my country is a
> department of Microsoft for me to call and activate.

Problem

Re: Windows Vista Activation
Yes i did.On my windows vista box i have a local number for me to call.I did
it,but the phone number wasen`t anymore available.
John Barnett MVP

Re: Windows Vista Activation
When you say 'windows vista box' are you referring to the actual packaging
or is this the number displayed on your screen when you choose to activate
by phone? If it is on your vista packaging this may simply be a manufacturer
number and nothing to do with Microsoft.

I'm not sure which country you actually live in but a vaguely remember
Romania being mentioned? This area would, presumably, come under
Europe/Asia/Middle East which is covered by the UK office. Having said that
I'm sure there are local offices in Germany, Spain, etc and maybe even
closer to you.

You could try emailing Microsoft Customer Service (see the Microsoft
website) and asking their help. They would, at least, be able to give you a
telephone number that may be nearer your country for the purpose of
activation.

--

> Yes i did.On my windows vista box i have a local number for me to call.I
> did
> it,but the phone number wasen`t anymore available.

Problem

Re: Windows Vista Activation

Yes,Romania is the country that i live in.I will follow your advice so
hopelly i will solved my issue.And my last question is : if i will not solve
it can i still receive updates from microsoft ?
Seth

> Yes,Romania is the country that i live in.I will follow your advice so
> hopelly i will solved my issue.And my last question is : if i will not
> solve
> it can i still receive updates from microsoft ?

If you can't solve the issue, after 30 days your OS goes into limited
functionality mode. At that point, getting updates from Microsoft will be
the least of your concerns.