Dual Boot from SCSI Using Vista Boot Pro

John

Dual Boot from SCSI Using Vista Boot Pro
I have full retail version of Ultimate installed on a 36 GB SCSI drive and
XP PRO on a 80 GB SATA I drive with Vista Boot Pro on the Vista SCSI drive.
I think it was mentioned in one of the forums, but I cannot recall a
solution. Vista sees the other drives, and I can see the XP files. Any
suggestions on how to get this to work?

And just for information, the full retail version, not an upgrade, of
Ultimate would not install on the SCSI even after I did a low level format
to ensure the drive was clean. Eventually I started XP Pro and did a clean
install on the SCSI.

John Barnes

Re: Dual Boot from SCSI Using Vista Boot Pro
You don't mention the error message you get, but if you have both systems on
the boot screen and just can't boot your legacy drive, copy your ntldr,
ntdetect.com and boot.ini from to the drive with the Vista boot file on it.
Modify the boot.ini to point to the XP drive if necessary.

"John" <jbjore@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I have full retail version of Ultimate installed on a 36 GB SCSI drive and
>XP PRO on a 80 GB SATA I drive with Vista Boot Pro on the Vista SCSI drive.
>I think it was mentioned in one of the forums, but I cannot recall a
>solution. Vista sees the other drives, and I can see the XP files. Any
>suggestions on how to get this to work?
>
> And just for information, the full retail version, not an upgrade, of
> Ultimate would not install on the SCSI even after I did a low level format
> to ensure the drive was clean. Eventually I started XP Pro and did a clean
> install on the SCSI.

John

Re: Dual Boot from SCSI Using Vista Boot Pro
Sorry, I should have been more explicit. Vista Boot Pro is in the root
directory of Drive C but does not show up at all on booting up. I went in
and run the program manually and used the repair utility, but it still does
not make any appearance. I just get pushed to Vista immediately. Once in
Vista, Windows Explorer locates all the drives and I can open each one and
see the files.

> You don't mention the error message you get, but if you have both systems
> on the boot screen and just can't boot your legacy drive, copy your ntldr,
> ntdetect.com and boot.ini from to the drive with the Vista boot file on
> it. Modify the boot.ini to point to the XP drive if necessary.
>
> "John" <jbjore@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>I have full retail version of Ultimate installed on a 36 GB SCSI drive and
>>XP PRO on a 80 GB SATA I drive with Vista Boot Pro on the Vista SCSI
>>drive. I think it was mentioned in one of the forums, but I cannot recall
>>a solution. Vista sees the other drives, and I can see the XP files. Any
>>suggestions on how to get this to work?
>>
>> And just for information, the full retail version, not an upgrade, of
>> Ultimate would not install on the SCSI even after I did a low level
>> format to ensure the drive was clean. Eventually I started XP Pro and did
>> a clean install on the SCSI.

John Barnes

Re: Dual Boot from SCSI Using Vista Boot Pro
VistaBootPro or EasyBCD have to be installed on a Windows OS (either XP or
Vista) on the system drive.

> Sorry, I should have been more explicit. Vista Boot Pro is in the root
> directory of Drive C but does not show up at all on booting up. I went in
> and run the program manually and used the repair utility, but it still
> does not make any appearance. I just get pushed to Vista immediately. Once
> in Vista, Windows Explorer locates all the drives and I can open each one
> and see the files.
>

> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>> You don't mention the error message you get, but if you have both systems
>> on the boot screen and just can't boot your legacy drive, copy your
>> ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini from to the drive with the Vista boot
>> file on it. Modify the boot.ini to point to the XP drive if necessary.
>>
>> "John" <jbjore@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>>I have full retail version of Ultimate installed on a 36 GB SCSI drive
>>>and XP PRO on a 80 GB SATA I drive with Vista Boot Pro on the Vista SCSI
>>>drive. I think it was mentioned in one of the forums, but I cannot recall
>>>a solution. Vista sees the other drives, and I can see the XP files. Any
>>>suggestions on how to get this to work?
>>>
>>> And just for information, the full retail version, not an upgrade, of
>>> Ultimate would not install on the SCSI even after I did a low level
>>> format to ensure the drive was clean. Eventually I started XP Pro and
>>> did a clean install on the SCSI.

John Barnes

Re: Dual Boot from SCSI Using Vista Boot Pro
Mean that it only modifies a boot record on the system drive. It can be
installed on an os on any drive.