Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade Failed

DVD-Newbie

Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade Failed
I was upgrading from Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate. It made it to the
last step of the process and then gave a basic error message that only told
me Vista failed to install properly. I clicked the OK button and then it put
Vista Home Premium back on my C: drive. What now? I ran the Vista Upgrade
Utility and it only shows 1 problem with my sound card not being "certified".
So what...it works with Vista Home Premium, so surely it will work with
Vista Ultimate, right? And why would this installation program stop because
my sound card, manufactured by Realtek that came with my HP desktop PC that I
purchased last week, isn't "certified" by Microsoft. Is that a reason to
abort an hour-long installation process?

So what do I do now? The license upgrade receipt I have from OfficeMax
tells me to find my "upgrade file" at
www.windowsanytimeupgrade-na.com/digitallocker but guess what I get when I go
to that page....Error 404 Page Not Found. Wonderful. All this time and
headache to get RAID enabled on my new HP...the same HP system that Fry's
told me was RAID-ready, but they failed to tell me RAID isn't supported with
the Vista Home Premium that came pre-installed on this PC.

Any suggestions on what I should do now to try the upgrade again? Will it
continue to fail as long as I have the Realtek sound card installed? I can
only guess that this is the reason for the upgrade installation failure since
the error message didn't say exactly why it failed, just that it did.

Regards,

Steve
DVD-Newbie

RE: Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade Failed
I found the Digital Locker and signed in using the E-mail address I gave when
I purchased the Ultimate Upgrade License. My locker is empty. Great. What
a wonderful idea this was...to purchase an online license that can't be
recovered. I purchased this license about 10 hours ago. I don't know why
it's not showing up there by now.

"DVD-Newbie" wrote:

> I was upgrading from Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate. It made it to the
> last step of the process and then gave a basic error message that only told
> me Vista failed to install properly. I clicked the OK button and then it put
> Vista Home Premium back on my C: drive. What now? I ran the Vista Upgrade
> Utility and it only shows 1 problem with my sound card not being "certified".
> So what...it works with Vista Home Premium, so surely it will work with
> Vista Ultimate, right? And why would this installation program stop because
> my sound card, manufactured by Realtek that came with my HP desktop PC that I
> purchased last week, isn't "certified" by Microsoft. Is that a reason to
> abort an hour-long installation process?
>
> So what do I do now? The license upgrade receipt I have from OfficeMax
> tells me to find my "upgrade file" at
> www.windowsanytimeupgrade-na.com/digitallocker but guess what I get when I go
> to that page....Error 404 Page Not Found. Wonderful. All this time and
> headache to get RAID enabled on my new HP...the same HP system that Fry's
> told me was RAID-ready, but they failed to tell me RAID isn't supported with
> the Vista Home Premium that came pre-installed on this PC.
>
> Any suggestions on what I should do now to try the upgrade again? Will it
> continue to fail as long as I have the Realtek sound card installed? I can
> only guess that this is the reason for the upgrade installation failure since
> the error message didn't say exactly why it failed, just that it did.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve

Mark

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade Failed
The best bet is to try again. This time do not select the option to update
during installation. Look for a file with the following extension:
..slupkg-ms
This is your installation upgrade file. Just double-click the file, insert
the installation disk, and go.

The Digital Locker does not put your License into the locker until four days
after you use the license download link. (Check your e-mail?) Not sure how
this works if they previously put the file on your drive. That would imply
they've already downloaded the file to your computer and it should show up
in the digital locker within four days of purchase. Either way, I'd call
them to find out how they got the file.

"DVD-Newbie" <DVDNewbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I found the Digital Locker and signed in using the E-mail address I gave
>when
> I purchased the Ultimate Upgrade License. My locker is empty. Great.
> What
> a wonderful idea this was...to purchase an online license that can't be
> recovered. I purchased this license about 10 hours ago. I don't know why
> it's not showing up there by now.
>

> "DVD-Newbie" wrote:
>
>> I was upgrading from Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate. It made it to
>> the
>> last step of the process and then gave a basic error message that only
>> told
>> me Vista failed to install properly. I clicked the OK button and then it
>> put
>> Vista Home Premium back on my C: drive. What now? I ran the Vista
>> Upgrade
>> Utility and it only shows 1 problem with my sound card not being
>> "certified".
>> So what...it works with Vista Home Premium, so surely it will work with
>> Vista Ultimate, right? And why would this installation program stop
>> because
>> my sound card, manufactured by Realtek that came with my HP desktop PC
>> that I
>> purchased last week, isn't "certified" by Microsoft. Is that a reason to
>> abort an hour-long installation process?
>>
>> So what do I do now? The license upgrade receipt I have from OfficeMax
>> tells me to find my "upgrade file" at
>> www.windowsanytimeupgrade-na.com/digitallocker but guess what I get when
>> I go
>> to that page....Error 404 Page Not Found. Wonderful. All this time and
>> headache to get RAID enabled on my new HP...the same HP system that Fry's
>> told me was RAID-ready, but they failed to tell me RAID isn't supported
>> with
>> the Vista Home Premium that came pre-installed on this PC.
>>
>> Any suggestions on what I should do now to try the upgrade again? Will
>> it
>> continue to fail as long as I have the Realtek sound card installed? I
>> can
>> only guess that this is the reason for the upgrade installation failure
>> since
>> the error message didn't say exactly why it failed, just that it did.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Steve

Rick Rogers

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade Failed
Hi,

Like most retailers, it takes generally 1 business day for records to be
updated. In the business world Saturday and Sunday do not exist, but rather
are part of Monday.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"DVD-Newbie" <DVDNewbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I found the Digital Locker and signed in using the E-mail address I gave
>when
> I purchased the Ultimate Upgrade License. My locker is empty. Great.
> What
> a wonderful idea this was...to purchase an online license that can't be
> recovered. I purchased this license about 10 hours ago. I don't know why
> it's not showing up there by now.
>

> "DVD-Newbie" wrote:
>
>> I was upgrading from Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate. It made it to
>> the
>> last step of the process and then gave a basic error message that only
>> told
>> me Vista failed to install properly. I clicked the OK button and then it
>> put
>> Vista Home Premium back on my C: drive. What now? I ran the Vista
>> Upgrade
>> Utility and it only shows 1 problem with my sound card not being
>> "certified".
>> So what...it works with Vista Home Premium, so surely it will work with
>> Vista Ultimate, right? And why would this installation program stop
>> because
>> my sound card, manufactured by Realtek that came with my HP desktop PC
>> that I
>> purchased last week, isn't "certified" by Microsoft. Is that a reason to
>> abort an hour-long installation process?
>>
>> So what do I do now? The license upgrade receipt I have from OfficeMax
>> tells me to find my "upgrade file" at
>> www.windowsanytimeupgrade-na.com/digitallocker but guess what I get when
>> I go
>> to that page....Error 404 Page Not Found. Wonderful. All this time and
>> headache to get RAID enabled on my new HP...the same HP system that Fry's
>> told me was RAID-ready, but they failed to tell me RAID isn't supported
>> with
>> the Vista Home Premium that came pre-installed on this PC.
>>
>> Any suggestions on what I should do now to try the upgrade again? Will
>> it
>> continue to fail as long as I have the Realtek sound card installed? I
>> can
>> only guess that this is the reason for the upgrade installation failure
>> since
>> the error message didn't say exactly why it failed, just that it did.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Steve

John Barnes

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade Failed
If you wanted RAID you should have bought a machine that had hardware RAID.
Check your BIOS and enable RAID if it is available. Vista doesn't care about
hardware RAID. It is invisible.

>I was upgrading from Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate. It made it to
>the
> last step of the process and then gave a basic error message that only
> told
> me Vista failed to install properly. I clicked the OK button and then it
> put
> Vista Home Premium back on my C: drive. What now? I ran the Vista
> Upgrade
> Utility and it only shows 1 problem with my sound card not being
> "certified".
> So what...it works with Vista Home Premium, so surely it will work with
> Vista Ultimate, right? And why would this installation program stop
> because
> my sound card, manufactured by Realtek that came with my HP desktop PC
> that I
> purchased last week, isn't "certified" by Microsoft. Is that a reason to
> abort an hour-long installation process?
>
> So what do I do now? The license upgrade receipt I have from OfficeMax
> tells me to find my "upgrade file" at
> www.windowsanytimeupgrade-na.com/digitallocker but guess what I get when I
> go
> to that page....Error 404 Page Not Found. Wonderful. All this time and
> headache to get RAID enabled on my new HP...the same HP system that Fry's
> told me was RAID-ready, but they failed to tell me RAID isn't supported
> with
> the Vista Home Premium that came pre-installed on this PC.
>
> Any suggestions on what I should do now to try the upgrade again? Will it
> continue to fail as long as I have the Realtek sound card installed? I
> can
> only guess that this is the reason for the upgrade installation failure
> since
> the error message didn't say exactly why it failed, just that it did.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve

Amy Vanderhill

Ditto
This exact issue is happening to me and my new Toshiba laptop. The .slupkg-ms does not seem to be loacted anywhere on the machine.

I've called MS, who asked for a product key, I've called Digital Locker, who says they didn't sell the product-Arvado sells it...and it will take up to 3 days to see it in the locker.

Have you had any luck resolving this issue?

I just need the upgrade to allow me to connect to the servers here at work.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Ken Blake

Re: Ditto
<Amy Vanderhill> wrote in message

> This exact issue is happening to me and my new Toshiba laptop.

What "exact issue"? Please quote the message you are replying to so we can
understand what you are talking about.

And please do *not* change the subject line of the thread.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> The .slupkg-ms does not seem to be loacted anywhere on the machine.
>
> I've called MS, who asked for a product key, I've called Digital Locker,
> who says they didn't sell the product-Arvado sells it...and it will take
> up to 3 days to see it in the locker.
>
> Have you had any luck resolving this issue?
>
> I just need the upgrade to allow me to connect to the servers here at
> work.
>
> EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Richard G. Harper

Re: Ditto
Ken, it's an EggHead. You won't get any satisfaction since 95% of the
thread is on the EggHead Cafe servers and never made it here. AFAIK the
EggHeads aren't even picking up replies here, so they will never see your
attempt to help.

Do as I do - block 'em.

Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
newsDDB173D-AFE7-4ACD-97CD-2216E04E93D3@microsoft.com...

> Ken, it's an EggHead. You won't get any satisfaction since 95% of the
> thread is on the EggHead Cafe servers and never made it here. AFAIK the
> EggHeads aren't even picking up replies here, so they will never see your
> attempt to help.
>
> Do as I do - block 'em.

Thanks, Richard. I hadn't noticed.

Please reply to the newsgroup

amhey1@gmail.com

Re: Ditto
On Aug 29, 12:36 pm, "Ken Blake" <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain>
wrote:
> <Amy Vanderhill> wrote in message

> > This exact issue is happening to me and my new Toshiba laptop.

> What "exact issue"? Please quote the message you are replying to so we can
> understand what you are talking about.
>
> And please do *not* change the subject line of the thread.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>
> > The .slupkg-ms does not seem to be loacted anywhere on the machine.

> > I've called MS, who asked for a product key, I've called Digital Locker,
> > who says they didn't sell the product-Arvado sells it...and it will take
> > up to 3 days to see it in the locker.

> > Have you had any luck resolving this issue?

> > I just need theupgradeto allow me to connect to the servers here at
> > work.

> > EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
> >http://www.eggheadcafe.com

There are two options for downloading from the Digital Locker - with
the Digital Locker software, with the Browser. I selected (on the 3rd
try) the Browser and renamed the file when I saved it - it worked as a
key to the Windows Anytime Upgrade disk/disc - the email that came
with supposedly a key didn't work for me. One thing Firefox is not
good for this - I didn't put ActiveX add-in into it - use IE to
download the key from the Digital Locker again. You can probably see
something in your Digital Locker - even if there's no confirmation of
purchase - i.e. the key to download. But maybe not - my first key I
never got and my partition I downloaded to was destroyed - the 2nd
time I paid I got it - I am now going through the hassle of getting a
refund for the first purchase (from Microsoft as the vendor - or their
fulfillment house).