Vista installation fails on first boot-up

spoz1975

Vista installation fails on first boot-up
Hello all,

Brand new machine:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
Intel Core 2 2.66Ghz
2GB DDR2 800Mhz
Asus nVIDIA 8800GTS 320Mb

Windows being setup on a Raptor 74Gb SATA hard-disk which is set on top in
the boot priority in the BIOS.

After the first boot (right after the phase where the installer hs copied
and extracted all the files), while the system appears to be loading, I get a
blue screen and an immediate reboot.

I tried changing the Controller mode to / from AHCI to RAID, to disabled,
simply using IDE. I tried downloading the SATA driver from the Gigabyte
website and loading it in the setup. The same exact thing happened in all
situations.

I then tried a memory check and see if by using the "repair" option I could
solve this, but the test went fine and no repair is possible (given it is a
setup failure apparently).

I honestly have no idea what could be wrong, so any help would be
appreciated. I set-up literally dozens of machines in the past (9x, 2000,
NT4, XP, SBS) but this is my first Vista machine and I am completely stuck.
No logs, no way to see the blue screen, nothing.

Thanks in advance.
preiner

Re: Vista installation fails on first boot-up

I hope you find this response somewhat useful, I dont quite have enough
information to definitively solve it, but I have run into this before.
It was an aweful waste of hours to chase this down.

You dont indicate whether you have other hard drives installed or
whether you are running Vista 32 bit, or even if this is an upgrade or
clean install, so Ill do some guessing.

First off, your machine h/w specs seems fine. This should run Vista
quite well.

Blue screens during install can be frustrating because the errors dont
stay on the screen long enough to read them. You would think after
Windows had been shipping for 10+ years, they would have made setup a
little more foregiving, but maybe we will get that in Windows 2014.

There is no magic bullet to troubleshoot this, so you need to use
common sense and good troubleshooting skills.

First off, simplify the installation by removing all unnecessary
hardware (you can add them back after we locate the offending driver or
h/w component)

1) Remove all drives except the boot volume and the dvd
2) Verify BIOS is set to the factory defaults (or as close as you can
get). Be sure to turn off all overclocking, voltage tweaks, speedstep,
... Get it basic and clean.
3) Check ACPI settings and power mgmt settings. Get these back to the
defaults.
4) Dont use any disk driver. Use Vista's internal driver (if one is
available for your controller)
5) Pull all adapters out except video card

Second, during 1st part of install, be sure to delete the partition
table, and all existing partitions, and do a format of 1 partition that
spans the entire disk (again simplest configuration)

Now proceed with install...

If it works, you can add back h/w one at a time. If it still works, you
can tweak BIOS settings until it fails, then you have your culprit.

IF It still wont install, then you have the same karma as me. Ive had
this scenario around 5 times since Vista launched.

At this point, you need to look at h/w issues or driver related issues
to your MB.

Lets tackle this one at a time.

1) Verify you are running only 2GBs. There is a HORRID bug in x64 with
> 2 gigs. MS had a patch before Vista RTMd and yet very few people are

aware of the issue, and Windows Update never located it for me

2) Beg, borrow, or steal another set of ram to test with. I know that
it passed the memory test. But I had a problem only 2 weeks ago where
the bios misread the latency information of the ram sticks and caused it
to run the wrong memory timing. Problem was that it didnt cause a parity
check, so you were clueless about the issue until you really dug.

3) Swap the power supply. Again this seems counterintuitive as the
machine appears to work fine. However this is a quick fix item to check.
The rest of the steps take more effort, so do the easy stuff first.

At this point, you're running in a clean, minimal configuration, not
using a disk driver, and you have checked ram and power supply.

Well, short of some unbelievably rare CPU or MB failure that only gets
triggered by Vista, you are likely having trouble with ACPI or switching
into protected mode.

I would first check to see if I had latest bios, then I would clear
NVRAM and reset everything to default and the boot the install CD but
this time go into repair mode.

I would have it do a startup repair and then go to the command prompt.

Look for the setupapi.log in \windows and a new log called
setupapi.dev.log in \windows\inf

The dev log now shows great detail into the enumeration of PNP devices
and whet drivers were loaded and how it choose between 2 possible
matching drivers to pick the best. The log should show somthing..

At this point, you should repost on the forum or private email me
because I made so many assumptions, likely I have missed something.

If you have x64, there another whole other twist to the issue, signed
drivers.

I just spent 2 weeks with MS escalation proving that there is a bug in
x64 boot driver signature checking. Until they fix it, I had to get the
developer to sign their driver with a different cert to work around it.

So dont feel like you are alone, I spent (waste) 30+hrs a week chasing
Vista related bugs that either Im not aware of, or MS isnt releasing
until SP1.

I do have early access to SP1 and it does solve some annoying problems,
but moreover, I have seen the dozens of hotfixes available for Vista,
which shows you why the update is taking a while. Its has a massive # of
fixes. But I wouldnt suggest you try SP1 as it isnt supported and it
does have issues itself

--
preiner
spoz1975

Re: Vista installation fails on first boot-up
Thank you so much for your extensive reply and sorry for the lack of detail
but I spent (same as you I suppose) hours trying to figure out what was wrong
and at 1:30AM decided to ask for help

I will go through your reply carefully when I'll be back from work. Mine is
a clean install of Vista Ultimate (32-bit) and I have two other SATA disks
(SATA-0 is the 74Gb raptor where I'm trying to install).

Again, thank you so much, and I'll be back with some (hopefully positive)
results.
preiner

Re: Vista installation fails on first boot-up

Ill try to monitor the post as best I can. Im out for a few days, but I
will check mail.

Remove all drives except the boot drive and make sure the bios has raid
disabled (i think your mb has built-in raid)

--
preiner
spoz1975

Re: Vista installation fails on first boot-up
Ok... the "one at a time" approach at the BIOS level seems to work. I was
able to proceed with the full installation by disabling EVERYTHING but the
kitchen sink (on-board LAN, sound chip, IEEE1394, RAID, optimizations, etc.).
Now, as you said, the culprit will surface when I start enabling features
again.

Before disabling everything, I updated the BIOS to the latest version. Not
sure what effect this had.

Again, thank you so much for your guidelines. I think from now on the
patient, while still critical, is out of the woods

"preiner" wrote:

> Ill try to monitor the post as best I can. Im out for a few days, but I
> will check mail.
>
> Remove all drives except the boot drive and make sure the bios has raid
> disabled (i think your mb has built-in raid)
>

> --
> preiner

spoz1975

Re: Vista installation fails on first boot-up
Dear all,

I think it is always worth doing a follow-up to help others in the same
situation. After a couple of weeks I started noticing that the instability I
expected from Vista was simply way out of control. 2-3 BSOD a day, DLLs
getting unregistered, random errors when launching applications, constant
chkdsk's when booting up.

To make a long story short, always, ALWAYS check the memory compatibility
list for your motherboard. I had a couple of 1GB DDR2 800 from Twinmos, which
clearly are not listed in the tested RAMs if you check Gigabyte's website.
Switched to a couple of Corsair, and surprise surprise, with optimized
settings in the BIOS, without disabling ANYTHING, perfect setup, no problems
whatsoever.

Anyway, problem solved (I won't bug you the various tests I did with other
HDs, linux, XP, all of which failed and displayed some sort of instability).

Hope this helps

"spoz1975" wrote:

> Ok... the "one at a time" approach at the BIOS level seems to work. I was
> able to proceed with the full installation by disabling EVERYTHING but the
> kitchen sink (on-board LAN, sound chip, IEEE1394, RAID, optimizations, etc.).
> Now, as you said, the culprit will surface when I start enabling features
> again.
>
> Before disabling everything, I updated the BIOS to the latest version. Not
> sure what effect this had.
>
> Again, thank you so much for your guidelines. I think from now on the
> patient, while still critical, is out of the woods
>
> "preiner" wrote:
>

> > Ill try to monitor the post as best I can. Im out for a few days, but I
> > will check mail.
> >
> > Remove all drives except the boot drive and make sure the bios has raid
> > disabled (i think your mb has built-in raid)
> >

> > --
> > preiner

Richard Urban

Re: Vista installation fails on first boot-up
Another confirmation of what I have been stating for years.

If you are experiencing multiple, and varied, unexplained errors - change
out your RAM for known good RAM.

I have see this "fix" a multitude of unexplainable errors over the years.

Many post here, and in the Windows XP news groups, listing all their
problems, and then end their post with:
"and don't tell me it's the RAM. I have tested it and it is fine"!

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"spoz1975" <spoz1975@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> I think it is always worth doing a follow-up to help others in the same
> situation. After a couple of weeks I started noticing that the instability
> expected from Vista was simply way out of control. 2-3 BSOD a day, DLLs
> getting unregistered, random errors when launching applications, constant
> chkdsk's when booting up.
>
> To make a long story short, always, ALWAYS check the memory compatibility
> list for your motherboard. I had a couple of 1GB DDR2 800 from Twinmos,
> which
> clearly are not listed in the tested RAMs if you check Gigabyte's website.
> Switched to a couple of Corsair, and surprise surprise, with optimized
> settings in the BIOS, without disabling ANYTHING, perfect setup, no
> problems
> whatsoever.
>
> Anyway, problem solved (I won't bug you the various tests I did with other
> HDs, linux, XP, all of which failed and displayed some sort of
> instability).
>
> Hope this helps
>
> "spoz1975" wrote:
>
>> Ok... the "one at a time" approach at the BIOS level seems to work. I was
>> able to proceed with the full installation by disabling EVERYTHING but
>> the
>> kitchen sink (on-board LAN, sound chip, IEEE1394, RAID, optimizations,
>> etc.).
>> Now, as you said, the culprit will surface when I start enabling features
>> again.
>>
>> Before disabling everything, I updated the BIOS to the latest version.
>> Not
>> sure what effect this had.
>>
>> Again, thank you so much for your guidelines. I think from now on the
>> patient, while still critical, is out of the woods
>>
>> "preiner" wrote:
>>

>> > Ill try to monitor the post as best I can. Im out for a few days, but I
>> > will check mail.
>> >
>> > Remove all drives except the boot drive and make sure the bios has raid
>> > disabled (i think your mb has built-in raid)
>> >

>> > --
>> > preiner

spoz1975

Re: Vista installation fails on first boot-up
You're right.
I think, however, this raises the question on how useful it is to do
low-level checks of the RAM with prorgrams like memtest86 or Vista's memory
diagnostics.
Basically if I hadn't dug any deeper and trusted those results I would still
be in the same situation given both of them passed 100%.

On the other hand, better to always play it safe, and take a hard long look
at the memory compatibility list.

Best regards,

Sergio

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Another confirmation of what I have been stating for years.
>
> If you are experiencing multiple, and varied, unexplained errors - change
> out your RAM for known good RAM.
>
> I have see this "fix" a multitude of unexplainable errors over the years.
>
> Many post here, and in the Windows XP news groups, listing all their
> problems, and then end their post with:
> "and don't tell me it's the RAM. I have tested it and it is fine"!
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Richard Urban

Re: Vista installation fails on first boot-up
That is the reason I have a "hardware" RAM tester. Sure, it cost more than
$1000 but it will either pass the RAM, fail the RAM or cause the RAM to fail
if it is marginal. When servicing computers a software RAM test does not
give a true indication of the RAM performance or condition.