Disk imaging advise

John

Disk imaging advise
Hi

I need to disk image my vista so I can restore easy in case of a crash. I
have two questions;

1. My vista drive has two partitions and WINDOWS folder is in the first
partition. Would disk imaging the first partition do or do I need to do the
whole disk to ensure MBR images as well?

2. What is a good disk imaging software? I was considering Acornis True
Image Workstation.

Many Thanks

Regards

thetrent

RE: Disk imaging advise
if you mean make an iso of the boot disc than i recomend ultraISO or power
ISO. thats what i used.

"John" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I need to disk image my vista so I can restore easy in case of a crash. I
> have two questions;
>
> 1. My vista drive has two partitions and WINDOWS folder is in the first
> partition. Would disk imaging the first partition do or do I need to do the
> whole disk to ensure MBR images as well?
>
> 2. What is a good disk imaging software? I was considering Acornis True
> Image Workstation.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Regards

Chad Harris

Re: Disk imaging advise
Hi John--

Acronis would also be a good choice because:

1) It offers easy recovery modality.
2) You can set up an disc image via a simple wizard.
3) The Acronis Disk is bootable for repair in addition to the Win RE, Repair
Install and F8 methods among those to fix Vista.
4) You can make a partition for quick restoration--called Acronis Secure
Zone.
5) You can setup full, incremental or differential backups easily.

CH

"John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I need to disk image my vista so I can restore easy in case of a crash. I
> have two questions;
>
> 1. My vista drive has two partitions and WINDOWS folder is in the first
> partition. Would disk imaging the first partition do or do I need to do
> the whole disk to ensure MBR images as well?
>
> 2. What is a good disk imaging software? I was considering Acornis True
> Image Workstation.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Regards

John

Re: Disk imaging advise
Did you image just the partition or the whole disk?

I used DVD+R DL disks to burn straight from Acronis Home Trial using a Sony
drive. Even though the operation was completed the disks became unusable.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Regards

"BChat" <BChat@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>I have used Acronis for XP and Vista - I am very happy with it.
>

> "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I need to disk image my vista so I can restore easy in case of a crash. I
> have two questions;
>
> 1. My vista drive has two partitions and WINDOWS folder is in the first
> partition. Would disk imaging the first partition do or do I need to do
> the
> whole disk to ensure MBR images as well?
>
> 2. What is a good disk imaging software? I was considering Acornis True
> Image Workstation.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Regards

Jerry

Re: Disk imaging advise
If you have Vista Ultimate it has an excellent cloning software built in. I
use it on a regular basis and it works fantastic.

> Did you image just the partition or the whole disk?
>
> I used DVD+R DL disks to burn straight from Acronis Home Trial using a
> Sony drive. Even though the operation was completed the disks became
> unusable. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards
>

> "BChat" <BChat@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>I have used Acronis for XP and Vista - I am very happy with it.
>>

>> "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I need to disk image my vista so I can restore easy in case of a crash. I
>> have two questions;
>>
>> 1. My vista drive has two partitions and WINDOWS folder is in the first
>> partition. Would disk imaging the first partition do or do I need to do
>> the
>> whole disk to ensure MBR images as well?
>>
>> 2. What is a good disk imaging software? I was considering Acornis True
>> Image Workstation.
>>
>> Many Thanks
>>
>> Regards

John Barnes

Re: Disk imaging advise
John,
If you are protecting against drive failure, you need the whole drive, if
you are protecting against system failure, you need the system partition.
If you have your data on the other partitions or something important you
need to protect you may want to back it up if Vista doesn't make shadow
copies of it. Check to see.

"John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
> Did you image just the partition or the whole disk?
>
> I used DVD+R DL disks to burn straight from Acronis Home Trial using a
> Sony drive. Even though the operation was completed the disks became
> unusable. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards
>

> "BChat" <BChat@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>I have used Acronis for XP and Vista - I am very happy with it.
>>

>> "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I need to disk image my vista so I can restore easy in case of a crash. I
>> have two questions;
>>
>> 1. My vista drive has two partitions and WINDOWS folder is in the first
>> partition. Would disk imaging the first partition do or do I need to do
>> the
>> whole disk to ensure MBR images as well?
>>
>> 2. What is a good disk imaging software? I was considering Acornis True
>> Image Workstation.
>>
>> Many Thanks
>>
>> Regards

Errol

Re: Disk imaging advise
Hi I tried to image my acer 3680 using paragon backup but just said that the
first 10gb and drive c (my hard drive was partitioned by acer into 3 drives
?) were unformated so that it was impossible to take an image
Richard Land

RE: Disk imaging advise
Dear John, Here's the short version:
Use the image backup/restore that's built into Vista. You may need to
upgrade your version to get the integrated image tools. Be sure to perform a
complete restore to verify the procedure before you have irreplacable 'stuff'
installed.

The long version:
I've recently evaluated Ghost (Their Suite, as well as the stand alond
versions 11 and 12 of Ghost) and Acronis (both the Workstation versions and
the True Image flavors). Although I've used Ghost for over a decade, and
Acronis for over two years, I was not reassured by what I read in the specs
and the feedback from users posted on the internet. One reference that I
stumbled upon on the internet addressed the issue of the manner in which
Vista assigns partition boundries in relation to the geometry of the hard
drive. According to the article, Vista does not use the de facto rules for
this, or even document the new rules that it's adopted! If true, it destroys
any confidence in programs that are creating and installing images onto the
drives. Ergo, I'm staying with the image software supported by MS

Concerning the issue of multiple partitions, always respect the original
sequence of the partitions on the drive as well as the logical locations of
the devices with respect to one another. There are multiboot and multidevice
considerations too. My system has an original XP Pro installatin on Drive 1,
a data drive as Drive 2, and I added a third drive as I was installing Vista,
and installed Vista onto the third drive. Now I multiboot into either xp pro
or Vista, and each has it's own drive (only one partition for each drive).
Trust me, if I move a drive or a partition, this card house will not be
repaired easily, it will have to have a new foundation before it can even be
rebuilt!

"John" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I need to disk image my vista so I can restore easy in case of a crash. I
> have two questions;
>
> 1. My vista drive has two partitions and WINDOWS folder is in the first
> partition. Would disk imaging the first partition do or do I need to do the
> whole disk to ensure MBR images as well?
>
> 2. What is a good disk imaging software? I was considering Acornis True
> Image Workstation.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Regards

Richard Urban

Re: Disk imaging advise
I create a new system image almost every day using TrueImage HOME 10.0.

I also restore an image about 3 times a week because of experimentation.

I have never had any "occurrences" with TrueImage. I have complete
confidence in it.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban