Cleaning up after Norton

civ2ru

Cleaning up after Norton
Hello,

I've removed Norton Internet Security from my Vista-running computer (by
using Norton Removal Tool), deleted all Symantec/Norton folders from Program
files and Program data, and manually removed all Symantec/Norton keys from
the registry(through RegEdit). However, I was unable to delete the following
keys (error message "Unable to delete all specified values"):

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> ControlSet001 ->Enum ->Root ->
LEGACY_IDSVIX86 -> 0000 -> DeviceDesc.REG_SZ (Symantec Intrusion Prevention
Driver);
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> ControlSet003 ->Enum ->Root ->
LEGACY_IDSVIX86 -> 0000 -> DeviceDesc.REG_SZ (Symantec Intrusion Prevention
Driver);
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet ->Enum ->Root ->
LEGACY_IDSVIX86 -> 0000 -> DeviceDesc.REG_SZ (Symantec Intrusion Prevention
Driver);
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> Current
Version -> Schedule -> CompatibilityAdapter -> Signatures -> Norton Internet
Security - Run Full System Scan.job.REG_BINARY;
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> Current
Version -> Schedule -> CompatibilityAdapter -> Signatures -> Norton Internet
Security - Run Full System Scan.job.fp.REG_DWORD;
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> Current
Version -> Schedule -> TaskCache -> Tasks ->
{F407DEA4-5E8B-42CE-93F0-4D39581D3BE1} -> Path.REG_SZ (\Norton Internet
Security - Run Full System Scan).

Any idea how to remove those keys from the registry?

Thank you in advance for your input.
...winston

Re: Cleaning up after Norton
If you're intent on deleting values that probably are no longer harmful
or significant, Have you attempted taking full permission of the key
prior to attempting deletion(most likely the System owns the key instead
of the logged on owner or 'Everyone'.

Imo, you might be better ignoring the values. Backup and/or image your
o/s and files for insurance.

In hindsight, when using the Norton Removal tool, its always best prior
to running the tool to open the Norton's program options and disable
every single possible item and restart the system.
...winston
MS-MVP Windows Live Mail

"civ2ru" <civ2ru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've removed Norton Internet Security from my Vista-running computer
> (by
> using Norton Removal Tool), deleted all Symantec/Norton folders from
> Program
> files and Program data, and manually removed all Symantec/Norton keys
> from
> the registry(through RegEdit). However, I was unable to delete the
> following
> keys (error message "Unable to delete all specified values"):
>
> - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> ControlSet001 ->Enum ->Root ->
> LEGACY_IDSVIX86 -> 0000 -> DeviceDesc.REG_SZ (Symantec Intrusion
> Prevention
> Driver);
> - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> ControlSet003 ->Enum ->Root ->
> LEGACY_IDSVIX86 -> 0000 -> DeviceDesc.REG_SZ (Symantec Intrusion
> Prevention
> Driver);
> - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet ->Enum ->Root ->
> LEGACY_IDSVIX86 -> 0000 -> DeviceDesc.REG_SZ (Symantec Intrusion
> Prevention
> Driver);
> - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> Current
> Version -> Schedule -> CompatibilityAdapter -> Signatures -> Norton
> Internet
> Security - Run Full System Scan.job.REG_BINARY;
> - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> Current
> Version -> Schedule -> CompatibilityAdapter -> Signatures -> Norton
> Internet
> Security - Run Full System Scan.job.fp.REG_DWORD;
> - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> Current
> Version -> Schedule -> TaskCache -> Tasks ->
> {F407DEA4-5E8B-42CE-93F0-4D39581D3BE1} -> Path.REG_SZ (\Norton
> Internet
> Security - Run Full System Scan).
>
> Any idea how to remove those keys from the registry?
>
> Thank you in advance for your input.

Anteaus

Re: Cleaning up after Norton
The 'enum' keys would seem to suggest that Norton drivers are still there. A
check of the running processes with taskmanager or autoruns (sysinternals)
might confirm or refute this.

Personally I will remove NAV if I find it on XP, but if I encounter NIS I
will usually take the format and reinstall route if at all possible.
Basically, this beast is considerably harder to get fully rid-of than most
viruses. Only limited experience of this kind of issue on Vista, but comments
probably also apply.

Doing a clean install (particularly of that behemoth called Vista) is
nontrivial, but it's preferable to finding you've still got obscure problems
after you've spent a lot of time and effort installing apps and configuring
the PC the way you want it.

...winston

Re: Cleaning up after Norton
They really should be left over entries that have System 'Full Control'
permissions and Everyone with 'Read'. No effective permission
ownership assigned to any other user(including the current logged on id)

The problem with this clean up method is its tedious and not always the
most efficient if the objective is to rid the system since remaining
values
have little significance beyond the challenge to remove them. Deleting a
value doesn't
necessarily remove. Additionally any space savings expected is minute.

Much easier and probably safer to start fresh(format)

...winston
MS-MVP Windows Live Mail

"Anteaus" <Anteaus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The 'enum' keys would seem to suggest that Norton drivers are still
> there. A
> check of the running processes with taskmanager or autoruns
> (sysinternals)
> might confirm or refute this.
>
> Personally I will remove NAV if I find it on XP, but if I encounter
> NIS I
> will usually take the format and reinstall route if at all possible.
> Basically, this beast is considerably harder to get fully rid-of than
> most
> viruses. Only limited experience of this kind of issue on Vista, but
> comments
> probably also apply.
>
> Doing a clean install (particularly of that behemoth called Vista) is
> nontrivial, but it's preferable to finding you've still got obscure
> problems
> after you've spent a lot of time and effort installing apps and
> configuring
> the PC the way you want it.

civ2ru

Re: Cleaning up after Norton
No Norton drivers present. Removed ALL Symantec or Norton related registry
entries (even the ones I originally had problems removing - thanks,
winston!). Still, Windows Security Center swears I have Norton Internet
Security running.

I would gladly reinstall Vista, but it was part of my OEM package, and
reinstalling that would bring Norton right back. I don't want to spend $$$
to buy a stand-alone OS, but even if I did - I'd have to abandon using extra
computer buttons that are built into my laptop (AV Mode, quick access, etc.)
as I'm sure they need OEM software to function, not to mention finding all
factory drivers for devices (I can locate most of them but not all)... Not
ready for that headache, yet.

Any other suggestions on cleaning up after Norton, or should I just ignore
the leftovers?