Why Won't Vista (Business) let me use my Geforce 8600 graphics car

Leathan

Why Won't Vista (Business) let me use my Geforce 8600 graphics car
Bought a brand new computer from PC Club in Burbank CA just last week.

I have the NVIDIA GeForce 8600 graphics card and would love to use it, but
there appears to be some kind of conflict in Vista between the NVIDIA drivers
and the native Vista graphics drivers.

Windows Update keeps telling me I should install the latest drivers for my
graphics card (which I would love to do), but every time I do, I'm treated to
a monitor full of coloful gibberish. It's not a "blue screen" crash, just a
complete failure of the display system. The only remedy I've come up with is
to do a system restore and let Vista keep using the native drivers for the
Standard VGA" graphics card.

As long as I don't install the NVIDIA drivers my display system functions,
but only just. My computers effectiveness, accroding to the Vista Experience
rating is a 1.0, with the lagging system being the graphics/video area.

I paid $1300.00 for this computer and would love to see it functioning up to
it's capability. I've been interested lately in creating 3D animations and I
really need to use a graphics card that can cut the mustard.

Can someone tell me if they've had this problem and if they found a solution?

Thanks in advance.
Mick Murphy

RE: Why Won't Vista (Business) let me use my Geforce 8600 graphics car
Don't install "The Nvidia", (or any other hardware drivers), from Windows
Update. They are either generic or out of date.

Go to the Nvidia website and download the specific Graphics Card(GeForce
8600) Driver from there.

If you are lost on how to do that, take it back to the shop under Warranty.

And set your Updates from Auto download and Install, to notify you of
downloads

"Leathan" wrote:

> Bought a brand new computer from PC Club in Burbank CA just last week.
>
> I have the NVIDIA GeForce 8600 graphics card and would love to use it, but
> there appears to be some kind of conflict in Vista between the NVIDIA drivers
> and the native Vista graphics drivers.
>
> Windows Update keeps telling me I should install the latest drivers for my
> graphics card (which I would love to do), but every time I do, I'm treated to
> a monitor full of coloful gibberish. It's not a "blue screen" crash, just a
> complete failure of the display system. The only remedy I've come up with is
> to do a system restore and let Vista keep using the native drivers for the
> Standard VGA" graphics card.
>
> As long as I don't install the NVIDIA drivers my display system functions,
> but only just. My computers effectiveness, accroding to the Vista Experience
> rating is a 1.0, with the lagging system being the graphics/video area.
>
> I paid $1300.00 for this computer and would love to see it functioning up to
> it's capability. I've been interested lately in creating 3D animations and I
> really need to use a graphics card that can cut the mustard.
>
> Can someone tell me if they've had this problem and if they found a solution?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Bruce Chambers

Leathan wrote:
> Bought a brand new computer from PC Club in Burbank CA just last week.
>
> I have the NVIDIA GeForce 8600 graphics card and would love to use it, but
> there appears to be some kind of conflict in Vista between the NVIDIA drivers
> and the native Vista graphics drivers.
>
> Windows Update keeps telling me I should install the latest drivers for my
> graphics card (which I would love to do), but every time I do, I'm treated to
> a monitor full of coloful gibberish. It's not a "blue screen" crash, just a
> complete failure of the display system. The only remedy I've come up with is
> to do a system restore and let Vista keep using the native drivers for the
> Standard VGA" graphics card.
>
> As long as I don't install the NVIDIA drivers my display system functions,
> but only just. My computers effectiveness, accroding to the Vista Experience
> rating is a 1.0, with the lagging system being the graphics/video area.
>
> I paid $1300.00 for this computer and would love to see it functioning up to
> it's capability. I've been interested lately in creating 3D animations and I
> really need to use a graphics card that can cut the mustard.
>
> Can someone tell me if they've had this problem and if they found a solution?
>
> Thanks in advance.

In general, I've found it best *not* to download the "Driver"
updates from Windows Update, unless they're for a hardware device
originally manufactured by Microsoft. Device drivers provided by each
component's manufacturer's web site are likely to perform better and
offer more features than will the watered-down, "generic" drivers that
those manufacturers provide to Microsoft for distribution via Windows
Update.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: