Anytime Upgrade Digital Locker Empty

Michael Gerbasio

Anytime Upgrade Digital Locker Empty
Hi,
I installed Vista Home Premium and activated it. Then I purchased the
anytime update through vista, buying the software from Circuit City. I have
a receipt showing my credit card was charged with a link to click that
starts the upgrade installation process. If I do that, I'm asked to install
my Upgrade CD, but I don't have an upgrade CD, just the regular Vista Home
CD I was shipped. If I insert that CD, it goes through the installation
process but fails at the end.

I went to the digital locker, following the instructions on the MS site, but
it is empty. I checked the spam folder in my email account to be sure a
message wasn't removed fom the inbox. So now I'm confused about what to do
next. Any suggestions?

Regards-Michael G.

Mark Honzell

Re: Anytime Upgrade Digital Locker Empty
It can take up to four days for your license to be "posted" in the Digital
Locker.
Recommend you download it and store it, once it becomes available, so you
can get to it without going through the locker.

"Michael Gerbasio" <mwgerbasio@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I installed Vista Home Premium and activated it. Then I purchased the
> anytime update through vista, buying the software from Circuit City. I
> have a receipt showing my credit card was charged with a link to click
> that starts the upgrade installation process. If I do that, I'm asked to
> install my Upgrade CD, but I don't have an upgrade CD, just the regular
> Vista Home CD I was shipped. If I insert that CD, it goes through the
> installation process but fails at the end.
>
> I went to the digital locker, following the instructions on the MS site,
> but it is empty. I checked the spam folder in my email account to be sure
> a message wasn't removed fom the inbox. So now I'm confused about what to
> do next. Any suggestions?
>
> Regards-Michael G.

Michael Gerbasio

Re: Anytime Upgrade Digital Locker Empty
Thank Mark. Wow, four days. So much for anytime update. Did I do anything
wrong when I placed the order or is this normal?

Regards-Michael G.

"Mark Honzell" <jmhonzell@nospam.insightbb.com> wrote in message
> It can take up to four days for your license to be "posted" in the Digital
> Locker.
> Recommend you download it and store it, once it becomes available, so you
> can get to it without going through the locker.
>
> "Michael Gerbasio" <mwgerbasio@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I installed Vista Home Premium and activated it. Then I purchased the
>> anytime update through vista, buying the software from Circuit City. I
>> have a receipt showing my credit card was charged with a link to click
>> that starts the upgrade installation process. If I do that, I'm asked to
>> install my Upgrade CD, but I don't have an upgrade CD, just the regular
>> Vista Home CD I was shipped. If I insert that CD, it goes through the
>> installation process but fails at the end.
>>
>> I went to the digital locker, following the instructions on the MS site,
>> but it is empty. I checked the spam folder in my email account to be sure
>> a message wasn't removed fom the inbox. So now I'm confused about what to
>> do next. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Regards-Michael G.

Mark

Re: Anytime Upgrade Digital Locker Empty
No. You are experiencing my exact same problem.
You should have been given a download link in an e-mail which you can use
again.

Here was MS's response:

"This is in response to your email regarding your Windows Anytime Upgrade.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. The Windows
Anytime Upgrade license is placed in the Microsoft Digital Locker 4 days
after you click "Upgrade Now" or when you click the download link in the
confirmation e-mail message.

The Windows Anytime Upgrade does not contain a product key. The Windows
Anytime upgrade file you download is a file which unlocks the upgrade
content that is already pre-installed on your computer or that you have
loaded from your Windows Anytime Upgrade DVD."

Actual time for mine to show up was about 24 hours.
Two important factors:
1. The disc you own must state "Includes Windows Anytime Upgrade" on the
surface. This is common.
2. The Vista product you are attempting to upgrade must be activated.

I met both and still had the end "failure to upgrade, restoring previous
version" error.
Best advice, try again. Mine worked the second time around. Don't know why.
But, once installed and working. Install all apps and make a complete
backup!
Then, if you need to re-install for any reason you only have to reinstall
your backup (which is already activated.) You won't have to install the
original, the home premium upgrade, the anytime upgrade and then the apps
with all the errors between each one.

> Thank Mark. Wow, four days. So much for anytime update. Did I do anything
> wrong when I placed the order or is this normal?
>
> Regards-Michael G.
>
> "Mark Honzell" <jmhonzell@nospam.insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> It can take up to four days for your license to be "posted" in the
>> Digital Locker.
>> Recommend you download it and store it, once it becomes available, so you
>> can get to it without going through the locker.
>>
>> "Michael Gerbasio" <mwgerbasio@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> I installed Vista Home Premium and activated it. Then I purchased the
>>> anytime update through vista, buying the software from Circuit City. I
>>> have a receipt showing my credit card was charged with a link to click
>>> that starts the upgrade installation process. If I do that, I'm asked to
>>> install my Upgrade CD, but I don't have an upgrade CD, just the regular
>>> Vista Home CD I was shipped. If I insert that CD, it goes through the
>>> installation process but fails at the end.
>>>
>>> I went to the digital locker, following the instructions on the MS site,
>>> but it is empty. I checked the spam folder in my email account to be
>>> sure a message wasn't removed fom the inbox. So now I'm confused about
>>> what to do next. Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Regards-Michael G.

Mark

Re: Anytime Upgrade Digital Locker Empty
PS. The download file DOES contain a new product key which you can view with
notepad, but it is special in that it will not work unless the version you
are upgrading from is already activated. (If you've activated less than 120
days ago, then you will be calling MS to activate.)

In my case, I also moved to 64 bit version. So, I got to phone MS to
activate three times in one day.

I've tried to bypass the triple installation by using the key directly. No
go. Next time... buy the full version.

"Michael Gerbasio" <mwgerbasio@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thank Mark. Wow, four days. So much for anytime update. Did I do anything
> wrong when I placed the order or is this normal?
>
> Regards-Michael G.
>
> "Mark Honzell" <jmhonzell@nospam.insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> It can take up to four days for your license to be "posted" in the
>> Digital Locker.
>> Recommend you download it and store it, once it becomes available, so you
>> can get to it without going through the locker.
>>
>> "Michael Gerbasio" <mwgerbasio@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> I installed Vista Home Premium and activated it. Then I purchased the
>>> anytime update through vista, buying the software from Circuit City. I
>>> have a receipt showing my credit card was charged with a link to click
>>> that starts the upgrade installation process. If I do that, I'm asked to
>>> install my Upgrade CD, but I don't have an upgrade CD, just the regular
>>> Vista Home CD I was shipped. If I insert that CD, it goes through the
>>> installation process but fails at the end.
>>>
>>> I went to the digital locker, following the instructions on the MS site,
>>> but it is empty. I checked the spam folder in my email account to be
>>> sure a message wasn't removed fom the inbox. So now I'm confused about
>>> what to do next. Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Regards-Michael G.

Michael Gerbasio

Re: Anytime Upgrade Digital Locker Empty
Mark,
Thanks again. I retried the installation, this time I remembered to pull my
USB devices as that caused a problem during the original installation. I got
all the way to the end and Vista reported a problem configuing a component,
cancelled the installation and restored the original. I'm currently running
Vista so I can't imagine why this is a problem now and there doesn't seem to
be a way to find out which component couldn't be configured.

I went back, downloaded the upgrade adviser and it tells me the nvidia
8800GTX and creative x-fi have no compatibility data so I guess this was the
problem. I'm running the latest drivers, and Vista Home, so I guess I'll
just have to call MS later today.

Regards-Michael G.

"Mark" <jmhonzell@nospam.insightbb.com> wrote in message
> No. You are experiencing my exact same problem.
> You should have been given a download link in an e-mail which you can use
> again.
>
> Here was MS's response:
>
> "This is in response to your email regarding your Windows Anytime Upgrade.
>
> We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. The Windows
> Anytime Upgrade license is placed in the Microsoft Digital Locker 4 days
> after you click "Upgrade Now" or when you click the download link in the
> confirmation e-mail message.
>
> The Windows Anytime Upgrade does not contain a product key. The Windows
> Anytime upgrade file you download is a file which unlocks the upgrade
> content that is already pre-installed on your computer or that you have
> loaded from your Windows Anytime Upgrade DVD."
>

> Actual time for mine to show up was about 24 hours.
> Two important factors:
> 1. The disc you own must state "Includes Windows Anytime Upgrade" on the
> surface. This is common.
> 2. The Vista product you are attempting to upgrade must be activated.
>
> I met both and still had the end "failure to upgrade, restoring previous
> version" error.
> Best advice, try again. Mine worked the second time around. Don't know
> why.
> But, once installed and working. Install all apps and make a complete
> backup!
> Then, if you need to re-install for any reason you only have to reinstall
> your backup (which is already activated.) You won't have to install the
> original, the home premium upgrade, the anytime upgrade and then the apps
> with all the errors between each one.
>

> "Michael Gerbasio" <mwgerbasio@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thank Mark. Wow, four days. So much for anytime update. Did I do anything
>> wrong when I placed the order or is this normal?
>>
>> Regards-Michael G.
>>
>> "Mark Honzell" <jmhonzell@nospam.insightbb.com> wrote in message
>>> It can take up to four days for your license to be "posted" in the
>>> Digital Locker.
>>> Recommend you download it and store it, once it becomes available, so
>>> you can get to it without going through the locker.

Mark

Re: Anytime Upgrade Digital Locker Empty
I think the problems with the 8800GTX are solved, but Creative still has
problems. You could remove the card, perform the install and then put the
card back in.

"Michael Gerbasio" wrote:

> Mark,
> Thanks again. I retried the installation, this time I remembered to pull my
> USB devices as that caused a problem during the original installation. I got
> all the way to the end and Vista reported a problem configuing a component,
> cancelled the installation and restored the original. I'm currently running
> Vista so I can't imagine why this is a problem now and there doesn't seem to
> be a way to find out which component couldn't be configured.
>
> I went back, downloaded the upgrade adviser and it tells me the nvidia
> 8800GTX and creative x-fi have no compatibility data so I guess this was the
> problem. I'm running the latest drivers, and Vista Home, so I guess I'll
> just have to call MS later today.
>
> Regards-Michael G.
>

> "Mark" <jmhonzell@nospam.insightbb.com> wrote in message
> > No. You are experiencing my exact same problem.
> > You should have been given a download link in an e-mail which you can use
> > again.
> >
> > Here was MS's response:
> >
> > "This is in response to your email regarding your Windows Anytime Upgrade.
> >
> > We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. The Windows
> > Anytime Upgrade license is placed in the Microsoft Digital Locker 4 days
> > after you click "Upgrade Now" or when you click the download link in the
> > confirmation e-mail message.
> >
> > The Windows Anytime Upgrade does not contain a product key. The Windows
> > Anytime upgrade file you download is a file which unlocks the upgrade
> > content that is already pre-installed on your computer or that you have
> > loaded from your Windows Anytime Upgrade DVD."
> >

> > Actual time for mine to show up was about 24 hours.
> > Two important factors:
> > 1. The disc you own must state "Includes Windows Anytime Upgrade" on the
> > surface. This is common.
> > 2. The Vista product you are attempting to upgrade must be activated.
> >
> > I met both and still had the end "failure to upgrade, restoring previous
> > version" error.
> > Best advice, try again. Mine worked the second time around. Don't know
> > why.
> > But, once installed and working. Install all apps and make a complete
> > backup!
> > Then, if you need to re-install for any reason you only have to reinstall
> > your backup (which is already activated.) You won't have to install the
> > original, the home premium upgrade, the anytime upgrade and then the apps
> > with all the errors between each one.
> >

> > "Michael Gerbasio" <mwgerbasio@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Thank Mark. Wow, four days. So much for anytime update. Did I do anything
> >> wrong when I placed the order or is this normal?
> >>
> >> Regards-Michael G.

Michael Gerbasio

Re: Anytime Upgrade Digital Locker Empty
Mark,
Thanks. I'm up and running now but had to call MS for help. I disabled the
video and sound cards before installing the update along with some other
setting changes and it worked.

Regards-Michael G.