Multi-boot setup process does not work as advertised in FAQs

Aymincendiary

Multi-boot setup process does not work as advertised in FAQs
Your FAQs tell how to multiboot install but doesn't tell you how to clear a
jam.

When I install Vista on another partititon, I get a message at end of install:

"Windows Cannot Upgrade Boot Configuration. Installation Cannot Proceed."

If I install Vista on the main partition overwriting XP, I can install. But
then I lose Windows XP.

Please update your records as to inform users how to work around this OS
limitation.
--
Those willing to sacrifice freedom for safety are deprived both freedom and
safety...

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...allation_setup
Mick Murphy

RE: Multi-boot setup process does not work as advertised in FAQs
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

"Aymincendiary" wrote:

> Your FAQs tell how to multiboot install but doesn't tell you how to clear a
> jam.
>
> When I install Vista on another partititon, I get a message at end of install:
>
> "Windows Cannot Upgrade Boot Configuration. Installation Cannot Proceed."
>
> If I install Vista on the main partition overwriting XP, I can install. But
> then I lose Windows XP.
>
> Please update your records as to inform users how to work around this OS
> limitation.
> --
> Those willing to sacrifice freedom for safety are deprived both freedom and
> safety...
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...allation_setup

Aymincendiary

RE: Multi-boot setup process does not work as advertised in FAQs
I appreciate the link for the editing application.

To work, I would need a successful install of Vista. I'm not getting that
with the current XP install on my computer, even though it is on a separate
partiton.

The problem lies with that particular install of XP. Once it's gone, Vista
installs fine. However, I still need XP with all my apps. The editing program
isn't needed then if I take XP out of the equation.

I have an email session going with tech support at MS. I'd like to see what
he has to say about this one. I sent all my computer's configuration when I
initiated the support session so he/she can wade thru the boot.ini and the
system partition and see what's going on. No one has ever reported this
particular error when it comes to a multiboot setup (WINDOWS CANNOT UPDATE
BOOT CONFIGURATION. SETUP CANNOT PROCEED).

FYI, RC2 did not have this problem.

Thanks!

Chris
--

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> http://www.vistabootpro.org/
>
> "Aymincendiary" wrote:
>
> > Your FAQs tell how to multiboot install but doesn't tell you how to clear a
> > jam.
> >
> > When I install Vista on another partititon, I get a message at end of install:
> >
> > "Windows Cannot Upgrade Boot Configuration. Installation Cannot Proceed."
> >
> > If I install Vista on the main partition overwriting XP, I can install. But
> > then I lose Windows XP.
> >
> > Please update your records as to inform users how to work around this OS
> > limitation.
> > --
> > Those willing to sacrifice freedom for safety are deprived both freedom and
> > safety...
> >
> > ----------------
> >
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...allation_setup

Malke

Aymincendiary wrote:
> I appreciate the link for the editing application.
>
> To work, I would need a successful install of Vista. I'm not getting that
> with the current XP install on my computer, even though it is on a separate
> partiton.
>
> The problem lies with that particular install of XP. Once it's gone, Vista
> installs fine. However, I still need XP with all my apps. The editing program
> isn't needed then if I take XP out of the equation.
>
> I have an email session going with tech support at MS. I'd like to see what
> he has to say about this one. I sent all my computer's configuration when I
> initiated the support session so he/she can wade thru the boot.ini and the
> system partition and see what's going on. No one has ever reported this
> particular error when it comes to a multiboot setup (WINDOWS CANNOT UPDATE
> BOOT CONFIGURATION. SETUP CANNOT PROCEED).
>
> FYI, RC2 did not have this problem.

Do you have some program installed in XP "protecting" the mbr such as
GoBack? Some sort of security program that would prevent changes? That's
what it sounds like.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Aymincendiary

Re: Multi-boot setup process does not work as advertised in FAQs
I'll give it a look and get back to you.

Thanks!
--

"Malke" wrote:

> Aymincendiary wrote:
> > I appreciate the link for the editing application.
> >
> > To work, I would need a successful install of Vista. I'm not getting that
> > with the current XP install on my computer, even though it is on a separate
> > partiton.
> >
> > The problem lies with that particular install of XP. Once it's gone, Vista
> > installs fine. However, I still need XP with all my apps. The editing program
> > isn't needed then if I take XP out of the equation.
> >
> > I have an email session going with tech support at MS. I'd like to see what
> > he has to say about this one. I sent all my computer's configuration when I
> > initiated the support session so he/she can wade thru the boot.ini and the
> > system partition and see what's going on. No one has ever reported this
> > particular error when it comes to a multiboot setup (WINDOWS CANNOT UPDATE
> > BOOT CONFIGURATION. SETUP CANNOT PROCEED).
> >
> > FYI, RC2 did not have this problem.

> Do you have some program installed in XP "protecting" the mbr such as
> GoBack? Some sort of security program that would prevent changes? That's
> what it sounds like.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

John Barnes

Re: Multi-boot setup process does not work as advertised in FAQs
You don't provide the information necessary to help. A complete description
of your HD(s) would be a good start. drive number 0 Partition 1,
System,primary,active, etc, Partition 2 etc. drive number 1, etc