Upgrade from Home premium to ultimate

tito

Upgrade from Home premium to ultimate
I bought a new hp pc with home primium and i have a new full version of vista
ultimate, when i do the upgrade it goes ok until it gets to the end. then it
will reboot and give the message the upgrade is not compleate and it go back
to vista premium.

John Barnes

Re: Upgrade from Home premium to ultimate
If you have a new pc, why would you be running an upgrade, why not run a
custom install. We have no idea what you mean by 'the end'. If you want
help, be specific as to exactly what has happened up to that point. Has it
rebooted once, twice, is this the third boot where it tells you it is
starting for the first time, etc.

"tito" <tito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a new hp pc with home primium and i have a new full version of
>vista
> ultimate, when i do the upgrade it goes ok until it gets to the end. then
> it
> will reboot and give the message the upgrade is not compleate and it go
> back
> to vista premium.

Terry

Re: Upgrade from Home premium to ultimate
I am also encountering the same problem though I am upgrading from Home
Premium after operating with it for a number of months.
The compatibility check identifies only one potential issue; an uncertified
driver for the onboard Realtek sound card. Home Premium was able to install
without issues when the new machine was configured 'out-of-the-box'.

The upgrade process appears to run without problems through all of the steps
including updates, restarts and runs through the text-based 'configuration'
steps and then attempts to open the Vista login. A message indicating that
Vista failed to install properly is displayed. Click OK, system rolls back to
Home Premium and announces that Ultimate was not able to install.

I've tried a couple of more times after uninstalling the 'suspect' sound
card device with the same result.

Regards,
-- Terry.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> If you have a new pc, why would you be running an upgrade, why not run a
> custom install. We have no idea what you mean by 'the end'. If you want
> help, be specific as to exactly what has happened up to that point. Has it
> rebooted once, twice, is this the third boot where it tells you it is
> starting for the first time, etc.
>
> "tito" <tito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I bought a new hp pc with home primium and i have a new full version of
> >vista
> > ultimate, when i do the upgrade it goes ok until it gets to the end. then
> > it
> > will reboot and give the message the upgrade is not compleate and it go
> > back
> > to vista premium.

John Barnes

Re: Upgrade from Home premium to ultimate
Don't let it do any update. You should already be up to date and there are
some bad drivers on WU. You didn't give any specs on your machine, but if
it is an nVidia card, you might try uninstalling the drivers from control
panel/uninstall a program. You are getting to the point where the nVidia
drivers would begin to affect the GUI. If that doesn't work, on the last
bootup (the one where you get to the welcome and logon), try hitting F8
during the bootup and select safe mode. Others with more experience with
the upgrade process may have other better ideas.

"Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am also encountering the same problem though I am upgrading from Home
> Premium after operating with it for a number of months.
> The compatibility check identifies only one potential issue; an
> uncertified
> driver for the onboard Realtek sound card. Home Premium was able to
> install
> without issues when the new machine was configured 'out-of-the-box'.
>
> The upgrade process appears to run without problems through all of the
> steps
> including updates, restarts and runs through the text-based
> 'configuration'
> steps and then attempts to open the Vista login. A message indicating that
> Vista failed to install properly is displayed. Click OK, system rolls back
> Home Premium and announces that Ultimate was not able to install.
>
> I've tried a couple of more times after uninstalling the 'suspect' sound
> card device with the same result.
>
> Regards,
> -- Terry.
>

> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> If you have a new pc, why would you be running an upgrade, why not run a
>> custom install. We have no idea what you mean by 'the end'. If you want
>> help, be specific as to exactly what has happened up to that point. Has
>> it
>> rebooted once, twice, is this the third boot where it tells you it is
>> starting for the first time, etc.
>>
>> "tito" <tito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I bought a new hp pc with home primium and i have a new full version of
>> >vista
>> > ultimate, when i do the upgrade it goes ok until it gets to the end.
>> > then
>> > it
>> > will reboot and give the message the upgrade is not compleate and it go
>> > back
>> > to vista premium.

KenP

Re: Upgrade from Home premium to ultimate
I am in the same situation. I purchased a new HP m8120n this weekend and I am
also trying to Upgrade to Vista Ultimate with a brand new set of Vista
Ultimate Upgrade DVD's. I hope maybe I can offer a little more exact
information. I have repeated this upgrade attempt 5 times and always get the
same result at exactly the same place in the upgrade installation process.
The installation goes well through the first 2 stages of the upgrade. The
problem starts at the last stage, "Completing Upgrade". Right at about 99%
complete an error message comes up stating "Installation Error Windows can
not configure a component" You click OK and the system restores itself to
Home Premium. It gives no information as to what component is the problem. HP
has been of no help stating that because I am using a retail upgrade set they
can not help. Hopefully this will help those of you with more extensive
knowledge an idea of what the problem could be. Please be advised that you
never get to the Ultimate start up screen at all, not even to the part that
your desktop is being configured.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Don't let it do any update. You should already be up to date and there are
> some bad drivers on WU. You didn't give any specs on your machine, but if
> it is an nVidia card, you might try uninstalling the drivers from control
> panel/uninstall a program. You are getting to the point where the nVidia
> drivers would begin to affect the GUI. If that doesn't work, on the last
> bootup (the one where you get to the welcome and logon), try hitting F8
> during the bootup and select safe mode. Others with more experience with
> the upgrade process may have other better ideas.
>

> "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am also encountering the same problem though I am upgrading from Home
> > Premium after operating with it for a number of months.
> > The compatibility check identifies only one potential issue; an
> > uncertified
> > driver for the onboard Realtek sound card. Home Premium was able to
> > install
> > without issues when the new machine was configured 'out-of-the-box'.
> >
> > The upgrade process appears to run without problems through all of the
> > steps
> > including updates, restarts and runs through the text-based
> > 'configuration'
> > steps and then attempts to open the Vista login. A message indicating that
> > Vista failed to install properly is displayed. Click OK, system rolls back
> > Home Premium and announces that Ultimate was not able to install.
> >
> > I've tried a couple of more times after uninstalling the 'suspect' sound
> > card device with the same result.
> >
> > Regards,
> > -- Terry.
> >

> > "John Barnes" wrote:
> >
> >> If you have a new pc, why would you be running an upgrade, why not run a
> >> custom install. We have no idea what you mean by 'the end'. If you want
> >> help, be specific as to exactly what has happened up to that point. Has
> >> it
> >> rebooted once, twice, is this the third boot where it tells you it is
> >> starting for the first time, etc.

Paul Randall

Re: Upgrade from Home premium to ultimate
Hi, Ken
5 installs -- you seem to be quite determined to make it work.
Hopefully someone will correct any errors in my recommendation.

Perhaps you should try a clean install. Start by running your current
system and create a CD or thumbdrive with all the drivers for your system.
You might download them from the motherboard builder, or you might copy them
from their current location in your current system to a similar folder
structure on your CD. I've never tried this, but hopefully someone else
will chime in with a procedure to get the exact driver arrangement
transferred to a CD so they can be installed on the clean system. Print out
a list of all the drivers so you can compare them when the clean system come
up.

Once you have your driver CD set up, remove the hard drive and replace it
with a spare whose contents can be erased. Do a clean install of Vista
using your upgrade cd, using the procedure here:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp. This
gives you a 'free' 30-day trial, avoiding activation hassles if you have to
reinstall a number of times as you are learning to get it right.

Assuming this system runs, compare the drivers to your list. Do what you
have to do to make them match the original system. It should run as well as
the original system and you can expand your system in stages to get it the
way you want it.

-Paul Randall

"KenP" <KenP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news1F7AC87-0810-4C92-9B61-590661E6B264@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > The compatibility check identifies only one potential issue; an
>> > uncertified
>> > driver for the onboard Realtek sound card. Home Premium was able to
>> > install
>> > without issues when the new machine was configured 'out-of-the-box'.
>> >
>> > The upgrade process appears to run without problems through all of the
>> > steps
>> > including updates, restarts and runs through the text-based
>> > 'configuration'
>> > steps and then attempts to open the Vista login. A message indicating
>> > that
>> > Vista failed to install properly is displayed. Click OK, system rolls
>> > back
>> > Home Premium and announces that Ultimate was not able to install.
>> >
>> > I've tried a couple of more times after uninstalling the 'suspect'

Terry

Re: Upgrade from Home premium to ultimate
Tried again last night taking John's recommendation not to go the 'update'
route while upgrading. Still no luck, upgrade halted and rolled back as
before. On to Plan C which engaged a process of elimination...

I uninstalled Realtek audio, Radeon video and printer configuration
applications, shut down the machine, opened up the box and pulled the modem
installed by the OEM and the video card that I had installed shortly after
purchase. Rebooted, entered the M/B BIOS setup and disabled the onboard USB,
IEEE1394a and Audio functions, and reset the primary Video as onboard PCI.
The system was configured back to the very basics...

Saved the configuration, reboot, login to Vista, confirm in Device Manager
that the system is 'bare bones', re-initiate the upgrade process, skip the
updates again per John's suggestion and finally, ... success!

Shut down, reinstall cards, restart, reconfigure M/B BIOS, save and restart,
Vista Ultimate loads and reconfigures for all the PnP stuff previously
disabled.

Activate the O/S, update the system with all the Vista patches and drivers
from Microsoft and I'm back in business.

I guess the lesson out of this remains that 'touched' systems still pose a
challenge when choosing the MS O/S upgrade path vs a clean install even if
the only hardware change is a video card. Another thing that may fact into
this is all of the PnP USB devices that can be plugged in and removed without
a second thought. The O/S installs drivers for these devices as well that may
not be caught by the compatibility utility...

Hope this helps,
-- Terry.

"Paul Randall" wrote:

> [...]
> > that
> > your desktop is being configured.
> >
> > "John Barnes" wrote:
> >
> >> Don't let it do any update. You should already be up to date and there
> >> are
> >> some bad drivers on WU. You didn't give any specs on your machine, but
> >> if
> >> it is an nVidia card, you might try uninstalling the drivers from control
> >> panel/uninstall a program. You are getting to the point where the nVidia
> >> drivers would begin to affect the GUI. If that doesn't work, on the last
> >> bootup (the one where you get to the welcome and logon), try hitting F8
> >> during the bootup and select safe mode. Others with more experience with
> >> the upgrade process may have other better ideas.

John Barnes

Re: Upgrade from Home premium to ultimate
Good job. Happy to hear you are back in business. Hope you like Ultimate.

"Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsD1E0EB0-F339-4DB8-B2EA-518C6A089774@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > The
>> > problem starts at the last stage, "Completing Upgrade". Right at about
>> > 99%
>> > complete an error message comes up stating "Installation Error Windows
>> > can
>> > not configure a component" You click OK and the system restores itself
>> > Home Premium. It gives no information as to what component is the
>> > problem.
>> > HP
>> > has been of no help stating that because I am using a retail upgrade
>> > set
>> > they
>> > can not help. Hopefully this will help those of you with more extensive
>> > knowledge an idea of what the problem could be. Please be advised that
>> > you
>> > never get to the Ultimate start up screen at all, not even to the part

kokomart

Re: Upgrade from Home premium to ultimate
"Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install
Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation." I have
had the same problem for at least 25 times. I finally got my upgrade last
night and I thought you might like to know what I did. I disconnected all
hook ups but mouse, cable for internet, keyboard, video and
speakers(connected to monitor). Then I took everything out of the start menu
except internet connection and little speaker. The first time it failed. Then
I realized I had my external disk drive plugged in the front. I disconnected
and lo and behold the next install worked perfectly. Now this was about my
27th try for upgrade. I opened the champagne and celebrated. My computer is:
HP Pavilion A6000n
AMD Athlon 64 X2 - 4200
3 gigs of Ram
Dual sided DVD
OnBoard Nvidia Video
All updates from Microsoft
--
I once had a life but I traded it for a new computer.