Panther Folder

petersde

Panther Folder
Once Vista has been successfully installed, can the Panther folder be deleted?
Rock

Re: Panther Folder
"petersde" <petersde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Once Vista has been successfully installed, can the Panther folder be
> deleted?

That folder is not part of Vista. Check with the software author's tech
support.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Paul Randall

Re: Panther Folder
Hi, Rock
On my cheapo desktop Compaq with Vista Basic preinstalled, the
c:\windows\panther folder contains about a half a megabytes of stuff (I
didn't check for hidden/system stuff), including a small file called
unattend.xml which has some interesting though not necessarily useful info.
While not a part of Vista, it is probably a part of this Vista installation.
I have no idea if its removal would affect Vista.

-Paul Randall

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "petersde" <petersde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> Once Vista has been successfully installed, can the Panther folder be
>> deleted?

> That folder is not part of Vista. Check with the software author's tech
> support.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

petersde

Re: Panther Folder
Rock, Paul...

Thanks for your responses. From what I can tell, the folder was, at least in
part, used during my Vista installation (I upgraded from XP). The folder
currently is taking about a half Gig of space which I'd like to recover. I
just don't want to nuke it if it will cause me to have to reinstall the OS.

"Paul Randall" wrote:

> Hi, Rock
> On my cheapo desktop Compaq with Vista Basic preinstalled, the
> c:\windows\panther folder contains about a half a megabytes of stuff (I
> didn't check for hidden/system stuff), including a small file called
> unattend.xml which has some interesting though not necessarily useful info.
> While not a part of Vista, it is probably a part of this Vista installation.
> I have no idea if its removal would affect Vista.
>
> -Paul Randall
>
> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > "petersde" <petersde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> >> Once Vista has been successfully installed, can the Panther folder be
> >> deleted?

> > That folder is not part of Vista. Check with the software author's tech
> > support.
> >
> > --
> > Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Seth

Re: Panther Folder
"petersde" <petersde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news7F58E9D-41B4-47BD-9027-7D134BCBBE66@microsoft.com...
> Once Vista has been successfully installed, can the Panther folder be
> deleted?

Yes

Seth

Re: Panther Folder
"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "petersde" <petersde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> Once Vista has been successfully installed, can the Panther folder be
>> deleted?

> That folder is not part of Vista. Check with the software author's tech
> support.

Mmmm, yes it is. It is part of SYSPREP and where one puts their
UNATTEND.XML file to control setup of the first post-SYSPREP boot.

> Rock, Paul...
>
> Thanks for your responses. From what I can tell, the folder was, at least
> in
> part, used during my Vista installation (I upgraded from XP). The folder
> currently is taking about a half Gig of space which I'd like to recover. I
> just don't want to nuke it if it will cause me to have to reinstall the
> OS.

While the folder itself is part of a Vista installation (oem setup and
such), be careful.

I replied to your first post where you didn't give details about it
containing a half gig of files.

Normally you are OK to delete it.

Where you /might/ not be OK is if the oem who built your machine left files
in there that may need to be referenced later on. Like maybe a utility that
run from there, or if you add (oem) features, that may be where the setup
cab files are.

Is your hard drive so tight that you're fretting over .5gb?

Rock

Re: Panther Folder
"petersde" <petersde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Rock, Paul...
>
> Thanks for your responses. From what I can tell, the folder was, at least
> in
> part, used during my Vista installation (I upgraded from XP). The folder
> currently is taking about a half Gig of space which I'd like to recover. I
> just don't want to nuke it if it will cause me to have to reinstall the
> OS.
>
> "Paul Randall" wrote:
>
>> Hi, Rock
>> On my cheapo desktop Compaq with Vista Basic preinstalled, the
>> c:\windows\panther folder contains about a half a megabytes of stuff (I
>> didn't check for hidden/system stuff), including a small file called
>> unattend.xml which has some interesting though not necessarily useful
>> info.
>> While not a part of Vista, it is probably a part of this Vista
>> installation.
>> I have no idea if its removal would affect Vista.
>>
>> -Paul Randall
>>
>> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> > "petersde" <petersde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> >
>> > That folder is not part of Vista. Check with the software author's
>> > tech
>> > support.

Peter, sorry I misspoke, it _is_ part of Vista. I have two, one under
\Windows and one under \Windows\system32\sysprep. They are only 1.38MB and
16KB respectively. I don't know what the consequences would be from
deleting them.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Location: Binghamton, NY
Shades is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Panther Folder
Here's what I do if I can't find relevant info about a file or folder.
I create a folder called !File Hold (I use the question mark as part of the name so that it'll appear at the top of the directory.)
I cut & paste the file or folder into !File Hold and leave it for a week or so.
If no problems occur or weird message displays-I delete the file or folder. I run weekly backups, so I can always restore if I have to.

Location: USA - Wyoming
sinseer1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Panther Folder
I believe the c:\Windows\Panther directory is part of Vista setup. In the registry, it is listed under:
HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\ (2nd Pane)WorkingDirectory Reg_SZ C:\Windows\panther