Complete PC Restore without format

carlbeck

Complete PC Restore without format
don't know how it happened but my hard drive was formated in a Windows
Dynamic mode. I discovered this when I tried to do an Acronis Disk Image
which will not work with Dynamic Drives. I made a "Windows Complete PC
Backup". I then got my hard drive with 4 partitions reformatted in the Basic
Mode. When I do a "Windows Complete PC Restore" it formats the drive back to
a Dynamic Mode.

Is there any way I can do a "Windows Complete PC Restore" with out the
Format Option. The check box for farmating is checked and greyed out so it
cannot be unchecked. Can anyone HELP?

AJR

Re: Complete PC Restore without format
Regarding the following from your post "... I made a "Windows Complete PC
Backup". I then got my hard drive with 4 partitions reformatted in the
Basic Mode. ..." - If you made the PC backup with the disk(s) being dynamic
and followd this by converting the disk to basic (as your post implies) the
restoration would restore the disk(s) to the state that existed at the time
of backup - e.g.Dynamic.

"carlbeck" <carlbeck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> don't know how it happened but my hard drive was formated in a Windows
> Dynamic mode. I discovered this when I tried to do an Acronis Disk Image
> which will not work with Dynamic Drives. I made a "Windows Complete PC
> Backup". I then got my hard drive with 4 partitions reformatted in the
> Basic
> Mode. When I do a "Windows Complete PC Restore" it formats the drive back
> a Dynamic Mode.
>
> Is there any way I can do a "Windows Complete PC Restore" with out the
> Format Option. The check box for farmating is checked and greyed out so
> it
> cannot be unchecked. Can anyone HELP?

carlbeck

Re: Complete PC Restore without format
Thanks AJR. I understand that. What I want is to be able to restore WITHOUT
formating. This would leave the partitions formated to a Basic mode and
hopefully simple restore the software.

"AJR" wrote:

> Regarding the following from your post "... I made a "Windows Complete PC
> Backup". I then got my hard drive with 4 partitions reformatted in the
> Basic Mode. ..." - If you made the PC backup with the disk(s) being dynamic
> and followd this by converting the disk to basic (as your post implies) the
> restoration would restore the disk(s) to the state that existed at the time
> of backup - e.g.Dynamic.
>

> "carlbeck" <carlbeck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > don't know how it happened but my hard drive was formated in a Windows
> > Dynamic mode. I discovered this when I tried to do an Acronis Disk Image
> > which will not work with Dynamic Drives. I made a "Windows Complete PC
> > Backup". I then got my hard drive with 4 partitions reformatted in the
> > Basic
> > Mode. When I do a "Windows Complete PC Restore" it formats the drive back
> > a Dynamic Mode.
> >
> > Is there any way I can do a "Windows Complete PC Restore" with out the
> > Format Option. The check box for farmating is checked and greyed out so
> > it
> > cannot be unchecked. Can anyone HELP?

John Barnes

Re: Complete PC Restore without format
convert your disk to basic and do a new backup