Windows XP And Vista Dual boot, get rid of XP

bob3695

Windows XP And Vista Dual boot, get rid of XP
Hi, I have two harddrives. One with XP one with Vista. I am upgrading the one
with XP and was wondering if I have to uninstall windows XP first and if so
how I got about doing that? I found all kinds of stuff on uninstalling vista
on a dual boot but nothing about windows xp
Mick Murphy

RE: Windows XP And Vista Dual boot, get rid of XP
Upgrading to what?

"bob3695" wrote:

> Hi, I have two harddrives. One with XP one with Vista. I am upgrading the one
> with XP and was wondering if I have to uninstall windows XP first and if so
> how I got about doing that? I found all kinds of stuff on uninstalling vista
> on a dual boot but nothing about windows xp

bob3695

RE: Windows XP And Vista Dual boot, get rid of XP
I'm just upgrading my 20GB harddrive windows XP was on to a 250GB harddrive
which I do not plan on installing windows XP on.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Upgrading to what?
>
> "bob3695" wrote:
>
> > Hi, I have two harddrives. One with XP one with Vista. I am upgrading the one
> > with XP and was wondering if I have to uninstall windows XP first and if so
> > how I got about doing that? I found all kinds of stuff on uninstalling vista
> > on a dual boot but nothing about windows xp

peter

Re: Windows XP And Vista Dual boot, get rid of XP
if we assume that you have XP installed on C and then did the dual boot
setup in the normal fashion installing Vista onto D then by removing the XP
drive you are breaking the dual boot and as such will not be able to boot at
all.Uninstalling XP is simply a matter of formatting the HD ...by means of a
boot floppy or running the XP installation as if you were reinstalling and
doing a format before the actual install and then quitting the install.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm
After you install your new drive you will have to do a "startup" repair off
the Vista Disk.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...351033.mspx#EX
peter

"bob3695" <bob3695@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm just upgrading my 20GB harddrive windows XP was on to a 250GB
> harddrive
> which I do not plan on installing windows XP on.
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
>> Upgrading to what?
>>
>> "bob3695" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, I have two harddrives. One with XP one with Vista. I am upgrading
>> > the one
>> > with XP and was wondering if I have to uninstall windows XP first and
>> > if so
>> > how I got about doing that? I found all kinds of stuff on uninstalling
>> > vista
>> > on a dual boot but nothing about windows xp

John Barnes

Re: Windows XP And Vista Dual boot, get rid of XP
Personally, I would set your Vista drive as first hard drive in boot
priority first, run the startup repair from the Vista DVD (sometimes takes
more than once), then when you get Vista booting, exchange your drives. You
would probably want to keep your Vista drive as your primary drive with all
boot files on it.

"bob3695" <bob3695@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm just upgrading my 20GB harddrive windows XP was on to a 250GB
> harddrive
> which I do not plan on installing windows XP on.
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
>> Upgrading to what?
>>
>> "bob3695" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, I have two harddrives. One with XP one with Vista. I am upgrading
>> > the one
>> > with XP and was wondering if I have to uninstall windows XP first and
>> > if so
>> > how I got about doing that? I found all kinds of stuff on uninstalling
>> > vista
>> > on a dual boot but nothing about windows xp

Rock

> Hi, I have two harddrives. One with XP one with Vista. I am upgrading the
> one
> with XP and was wondering if I have to uninstall windows XP first and if
> so
> how I got about doing that? I found all kinds of stuff on uninstalling
> vista
> on a dual boot but nothing about windows xp

You need to provide more info. Where is Vista installed, where is XP
installed? Which is the drive the system boots from? Where are the boot
files for XP and Vista?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

windows instalation CD