Trouble doing a clean install of vista

Toby Brosnahan

Trouble doing a clean install of vista
I orginally had XP on my comp and wanted to install Vista Home Prem. I did
the Upgrad Advisor and everythign was fine beside two programs that would not
work and an audio driver. I preformed a clean install and about 2 hours
later it was just a blank screen. The monitor was getting a signal but it
was blank.

I tried to load in safe mode it just started to install some drivers and
then it just sat there.

I tried to reinstall from the installation disk and it would load the
windows files, go to the vista back ground screen and you would get the mouse
pointer but no menu or any other graphics would load. I tried this several
times.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Toby Brosnahan

RE: Trouble doing a clean install of vista
Ok it finally worked. It just took about 15 min of it sitting there with the
Vista backgroup before it came up to the user interface.

"Toby Brosnahan" wrote:

> I orginally had XP on my comp and wanted to install Vista Home Prem. I did
> the Upgrad Advisor and everythign was fine beside two programs that would not
> work and an audio driver. I preformed a clean install and about 2 hours
> later it was just a blank screen. The monitor was getting a signal but it
> was blank.
>
> I tried to load in safe mode it just started to install some drivers and
> then it just sat there.
>
> I tried to reinstall from the installation disk and it would load the
> windows files, go to the vista back ground screen and you would get the mouse
> pointer but no menu or any other graphics would load. I tried this several
> times.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Toby Brosnahan

RE: Trouble doing a clean install of vista
Ok well I was able to download all the updates and then it required a
restart. Upon restarting I got the same blank screen after the begining
status bar shows windows loading. I waited 15 min. Then restarted the
computer. Still nothing.

So I am back where I started. I am going to wait a longer time and then see
what happens.

Any suggestions so far?

"Toby Brosnahan" wrote:

> Ok it finally worked. It just took about 15 min of it sitting there with the
> Vista backgroup before it came up to the user interface.
>
> "Toby Brosnahan" wrote:
>
> > I orginally had XP on my comp and wanted to install Vista Home Prem. I did
> > the Upgrad Advisor and everythign was fine beside two programs that would not
> > work and an audio driver. I preformed a clean install and about 2 hours
> > later it was just a blank screen. The monitor was getting a signal but it
> > was blank.
> >
> > I tried to load in safe mode it just started to install some drivers and
> > then it just sat there.
> >
> > I tried to reinstall from the installation disk and it would load the
> > windows files, go to the vista back ground screen and you would get the mouse
> > pointer but no menu or any other graphics would load. I tried this several
> > times.
> >
> > Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Toby Brosnahan

RE: Trouble doing a clean install of vista
Update: I was able to wait 15-20 min after I did a safe reboot and got it to
log me on. I finished the updates and even installed the Nvida Vista driver
thinking that maybe that was the problem. Upon restart back to the blank
screen after windows boots up.

"Toby Brosnahan" wrote:

> Ok well I was able to download all the updates and then it required a
> restart. Upon restarting I got the same blank screen after the begining
> status bar shows windows loading. I waited 15 min. Then restarted the
> computer. Still nothing.
>
> So I am back where I started. I am going to wait a longer time and then see
> what happens.
>
> Any suggestions so far?
>
> "Toby Brosnahan" wrote:
>
> > Ok it finally worked. It just took about 15 min of it sitting there with the
> > Vista backgroup before it came up to the user interface.
> >
> > "Toby Brosnahan" wrote:
> >
> > > I orginally had XP on my comp and wanted to install Vista Home Prem. I did
> > > the Upgrad Advisor and everythign was fine beside two programs that would not
> > > work and an audio driver. I preformed a clean install and about 2 hours
> > > later it was just a blank screen. The monitor was getting a signal but it
> > > was blank.
> > >
> > > I tried to load in safe mode it just started to install some drivers and
> > > then it just sat there.
> > >
> > > I tried to reinstall from the installation disk and it would load the
> > > windows files, go to the vista back ground screen and you would get the mouse
> > > pointer but no menu or any other graphics would load. I tried this several
> > > times.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

John Barnes

Re: Trouble doing a clean install of vista
The nVidia driver that is provided by Windows Update has been causing lots
of problems, especially with the 8xxx cards. You should try to install the
driver available on the nVidia site, either the released or beta. Good
luck.

"Toby Brosnahan" <TobyBrosnahan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Update: I was able to wait 15-20 min after I did a safe reboot and got it
> log me on. I finished the updates and even installed the Nvida Vista
> driver
> thinking that maybe that was the problem. Upon restart back to the blank
> screen after windows boots up.
>
> "Toby Brosnahan" wrote:
>
>> Ok well I was able to download all the updates and then it required a
>> restart. Upon restarting I got the same blank screen after the begining
>> status bar shows windows loading. I waited 15 min. Then restarted the
>> computer. Still nothing.
>>
>> So I am back where I started. I am going to wait a longer time and then
>> see
>> what happens.
>>
>> Any suggestions so far?
>>
>> "Toby Brosnahan" wrote:
>>
>> > Ok it finally worked. It just took about 15 min of it sitting there
>> > with the
>> > Vista backgroup before it came up to the user interface.

Toby Brosnahan

Re: Trouble doing a clean install of vista
Thanks John for your suggestions. Unfortunately I loaded the released
version in safe mode and did install the driver for my 6600 GT Nvidia card
but still get the same 30 min of "stand by time" after windows loads.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> The nVidia driver that is provided by Windows Update has been causing lots
> of problems, especially with the 8xxx cards. You should try to install the
> driver available on the nVidia site, either the released or beta. Good
> luck.
>
> "Toby Brosnahan" <TobyBrosnahan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Update: I was able to wait 15-20 min after I did a safe reboot and got it
> > log me on. I finished the updates and even installed the Nvida Vista
> > driver
> > thinking that maybe that was the problem. Upon restart back to the blank
> > screen after windows boots up.
> >
> > "Toby Brosnahan" wrote:
> >
> >> Ok well I was able to download all the updates and then it required a
> >> restart. Upon restarting I got the same blank screen after the begining
> >> status bar shows windows loading. I waited 15 min. Then restarted the
> >> computer. Still nothing.
> >>
> >> So I am back where I started. I am going to wait a longer time and then
> >> see
> >> what happens.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions so far?

John Barnes

Re: Trouble doing a clean install of vista
First I would redo the driver install using the low resolution mode. When
you installed the driver, nVidia usually uninstalls the current driver, then
reboots for the install to proceed. Did that happen for you? If so, did
you initially boot into regular mode, finish the install, then reboot and
fail again? If you didn't uninstall previous drivers, do you have any you
can roll back to in Device Manager. Hopefully back to before you
experienced the problem.

> Thanks John for your suggestions. Unfortunately I loaded the released
> version in safe mode and did install the driver for my 6600 GT Nvidia card
> but still get the same 30 min of "stand by time" after windows loads.
>

> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> The nVidia driver that is provided by Windows Update has been causing
>> lots
>> of problems, especially with the 8xxx cards. You should try to install
>> the
>> driver available on the nVidia site, either the released or beta. Good
>> luck.
>>
>> "Toby Brosnahan" <TobyBrosnahan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Update: I was able to wait 15-20 min after I did a safe reboot and got
>> > it
>> > log me on. I finished the updates and even installed the Nvida Vista
>> > driver
>> > thinking that maybe that was the problem. Upon restart back to the
>> > blank
>> > screen after windows boots up.

John Barnes

Re: Trouble doing a clean install of vista
My wife's machine is working well with the 162.22 version file version
7.15.11.6222 There is also a 6600GT card on her computer. What version do
you have installed? Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys