Vista Premium Start Up slow

AliceZ

Vista Premium Start Up slow
When I turn on my HP notebook (160GB HD, 2GB RAM, NIS 2007 and IE7, it takes
a short time to open the Vista desktop screen, but then the HDD (blue) light
stays on anywhere from 3-5 minutes, and then it turns off (and blinks
occassionally every-so-often).
I've read that other folks have reported the same thing (sometimes up to 15
minutes before they can run first program) and that it is a part of Vista.
One suggestion was to go to "msconfig/system configuratuon" and "disable the
server program." They further reported that doing so reduced their startup
time from 15 minutes to 1 minute.

Would someone know what this "server program" does and if disabling would
cause problems?
Bob J

RE: Vista Premium Start Up slow
How long it takes for your PC to "start up" depends on many factors;
Do you have Areo working?
Have you got a wallpaper on?
Do you have gadgets displayed on your desktop?
The PC is loading your graphics, sound, antivirus, windows defender, plus
many other applications!!
Is your anti-virus set to do a bootup check?
The list depends on you PC setup!!
That all said, open Windows Defender, > "Tools" > "Software Explorer", check
what programs are starting up in the "Startup Programs List" if you have
programs such as Adobe, Quicktime, Realplayer, HP applications( most which
can be disabled and will not effect the operation of the PC
You also have "services that are running that are not necessarily required
to be set to "Automatic" a "Manual" setting may be all you need, the link
below will give some guidance of which services can be changed
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm
Another good site for tips/hints, below
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase..._more_tips.asp
All that being said 3-5min startup is really not so bad, what you should be
looking at, is once the PC has gone thru the 'startup" phase, is the PC
reacting and working OK, if all is well, do not try and fix something which
is not broken!!!!

Happy computing & a great life.
--
Regards
Bob J

"AliceZ" wrote:

> When I turn on my HP notebook (160GB HD, 2GB RAM, NIS 2007 and IE7, it takes
> a short time to open the Vista desktop screen, but then the HDD (blue) light
> stays on anywhere from 3-5 minutes, and then it turns off (and blinks
> occassionally every-so-often).
> I've read that other folks have reported the same thing (sometimes up to 15
> minutes before they can run first program) and that it is a part of Vista.
> One suggestion was to go to "msconfig/system configuratuon" and "disable the
> server program." They further reported that doing so reduced their startup
> time from 15 minutes to 1 minute.
>
> Would someone know what this "server program" does and if disabling would
> cause problems?

Bob J

RE: Vista Premium Start Up slow
What I am saying is that there are a few things you can try before you start
changing the "msconfig, setup, because as you may be aware the wrong change
there could make the PC in-operable, unless you know what you are doing, I do
not know your level of computer knowledge/experience.