Control Panel Won't open

Joe

Control Panel Won't open
I just bought a new computer and installed Microsoft Vista Ultimate on it.
Where I installed the new drivers for my graphic card nvidia 8800 GTS, my
control panel for vista stopped working. When ever I would try to open it, it
would flicker and close right away, the only way that It seemed to be fixed
is if I restored my computer to before I had the drivers installed.
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Control Panel Won't open
Icons are missing from Control Panel, or you cannot start
Control Panel, the Welcome Center, or games in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936686/en-us

Submit an online request to obtain a Microsoft hotfix:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935195

Download and install the following updates:

An update is available that improves the compatibility
and reliability of Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938194

An update is available that improves the performance
and reliability of Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938979

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Joe" wrote:

I just bought a new computer and installed Microsoft Vista Ultimate on it.
Where I installed the new drivers for my graphic card nvidia 8800 GTS, my
control panel for vista stopped working. When ever I would try to open it, it
would flicker and close right away, the only way that It seemed to be fixed
is if I restored my computer to before I had the drivers installed.
Joe

Re: Control Panel Won't open
So what do I need to do I am confused please explain

~Joe

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Icons are missing from Control Panel, or you cannot start
> Control Panel, the Welcome Center, or games in Windows Vista:
>
> Submit an online request to obtain a Microsoft hotfix:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935195
>

> Download and install the following updates:
>
> An update is available that improves the compatibility
> and reliability of Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938194
>
> An update is available that improves the performance
> and reliability of Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938979
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Joe" wrote:
>
> I just bought a new computer and installed Microsoft Vista Ultimate on it.
> Where I installed the new drivers for my graphic card nvidia 8800 GTS, my
> control panel for vista stopped working. When ever I would try to open it, it
> would flicker and close right away, the only way that It seemed to be fixed
> is if I restored my computer to before I had the drivers installed.

Joe

Re: Control Panel Won't open
The article says something about a cd-rom problem and its not my cd rom that
is causing it and the hotfix is for 64 bit and 86 and i don't have those I
have 32 bit.

"Joe" wrote:

> So what do I need to do I am confused please explain
>
> ~Joe
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Icons are missing from Control Panel, or you cannot start
> > Control Panel, the Welcome Center, or games in Windows Vista:
> >
> > Submit an online request to obtain a Microsoft hotfix:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935195
> >

> > Download and install the following updates:
> >
> > An update is available that improves the compatibility
> > and reliability of Windows Vista:
> >
> > An update is available that improves the performance
> > and reliability of Windows Vista:
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User

> > "Joe" wrote:
> >
> > I just bought a new computer and installed Microsoft Vista Ultimate on it.
> > Where I installed the new drivers for my graphic card nvidia 8800 GTS, my
> > control panel for vista stopped working. When ever I would try to open it, it
> > would flicker and close right away, the only way that It seemed to be fixed
> > is if I restored my computer to before I had the drivers installed.

John Barnes

Re: Control Panel Won't open
86 is the 32-bit, but you should either stay with the working drivers, or
try other versions from the nVidia website. There are both later drivers
than Microsoft Update provides, and a newer beta you could try.

"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The article says something about a cd-rom problem and its not my cd rom
> that
> is causing it and the hotfix is for 64 bit and 86 and i don't have those I
> have 32 bit.
>
> "Joe" wrote:
>
>> So what do I need to do I am confused please explain
>>
>> ~Joe
>>
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> > Icons are missing from Control Panel, or you cannot start
>> > Control Panel, the Welcome Center, or games in Windows Vista:
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936686/en-us
>> >
>> > Submit an online request to obtain a Microsoft hotfix:
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935195
>> >

>> > Download and install the following updates:
>> >
>> > An update is available that improves the compatibility
>> > and reliability of Windows Vista:
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938194
>> >
>> > An update is available that improves the performance
>> > and reliability of Windows Vista:
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938979
>> >
>> > --
>> > Carey Frisch
>> > Microsoft MVP
>> > Windows Shell/User

>> > "Joe" wrote:
>> >
>> > I just bought a new computer and installed Microsoft Vista Ultimate on
>> > it.
>> > Where I installed the new drivers for my graphic card nvidia 8800 GTS,
>> > my
>> > control panel for vista stopped working. When ever I would try to open
>> > it, it
>> > would flicker and close right away, the only way that It seemed to be
>> > fixed
>> > is if I restored my computer to before I had the drivers installed.

Joe

Re: Control Panel Won't open
Alright Thank You I will let you know how it goes

"John Barnes" wrote:

> 86 is the 32-bit, but you should either stay with the working drivers, or
> try other versions from the nVidia website. There are both later drivers
> than Microsoft Update provides, and a newer beta you could try.
>
> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The article says something about a cd-rom problem and its not my cd rom
> > that
> > is causing it and the hotfix is for 64 bit and 86 and i don't have those I
> > have 32 bit.
> >
> > "Joe" wrote:
> >
> >> So what do I need to do I am confused please explain
> >>
> >> ~Joe

mjp

Re: Control Panel Won't open
Hey Joe,
I just got the same computer setup with the same problem. Tried newest beta
drivers on Nvidia website. None worked.

Did you every solve the problem?