upgrading harddisk

Samuel Gutierrez

upgrading harddisk
I had installed vista ultimate on a 120GB HD and I had another one with 400GB
as a music storage now I brought a new 400gb disk and I want to replace my
old 120gb with the new 400GB; the question is: Can I do this? Will I have any
problem with the disk volume and the key? or I need to buy a new windows due
to my harddisk change?
Richard Urban

Re: upgrading harddisk
If you have a retail copy of Vista you do NOT have to buy another copy. You
**may** have to use the phone activation method if on-line activation fails.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Samuel Gutierrez" <Samuel Gutierrez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:85ED37C8-83B8-43A2-9AF0-F75F7B3F742C@microsoft.com...
>I had installed vista ultimate on a 120GB HD and I had another one with
>400GB
> as a music storage now I brought a new 400gb disk and I want to replace my
> old 120gb with the new 400GB; the question is: Can I do this? Will I have
> any
> problem with the disk volume and the key? or I need to buy a new windows
> due
> to my harddisk change?

Samuel Gutierrez

Re: upgrading harddisk
Yes I have the retail box, of windows vista ultimate dvds 32/64bits editions,
do you think the online activation might fail if I use it? Im really nervous
about
peter

Re: upgrading harddisk
have you thought about just using the new 400 as another HD..if your system
has room.No reinstall...no wasted time....no headaches if something does go
wrong.
As an example if that Ultimate was an upgrade version from XP then you would
need to install XP to the new drive again and then upgrade to
Ultimate...time wasted.
peter
"Samuel Gutierrez" <Samuel Gutierrez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:85ED37C8-83B8-43A2-9AF0-F75F7B3F742C@microsoft.com...
>I had installed vista ultimate on a 120GB HD and I had another one with
>400GB
> as a music storage now I brought a new 400gb disk and I want to replace my
> old 120gb with the new 400GB; the question is: Can I do this? Will I have
> any
> problem with the disk volume and the key? or I need to buy a new windows
> due
> to my harddisk change?

P. Di Stolfo

Re: upgrading harddisk
Hello,

there's no reason to be nervous. It easy to use, fast and friendly.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo
--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language

"Samuel Gutierrez" <SamuelGutierrez@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:53B6CD58-EC08-42A2-B45A-9ECA79A51AE4@microsoft.com...
> Yes I have the retail box, of windows vista ultimate dvds 32/64bits
> editions,
> do you think the online activation might fail if I use it? Im really
> nervous
> about

Paul Randall

Re: upgrading harddisk
If you can find a friend with a recent version of Norton Ghost (Acronis True
Image might be able to do this too), you can create a boot floppy or boot CD
that can allow you to essentially clone the 120GB drive to the 400GB drive,
without affecting your license significantly. This worked on my cheapo
Compaq. My version of Ghost was not able to copy the MBR (master boot
record); I got around that problem with a DOS program I put on my boot CD,
called MBRWiz which I downloaded from the net. By default, if the 120 GB
drive is a single partition, it will clone it to a single 400GB partition on
the new drive. The Ghost package includes a DOS GDisk program for viewing
and changing the partitioning of a disk prior to cloning if desired, so you
can clone the 120GB drive to any size partition on the 400GB drive. It is
probably best to clone it to the same partition on the destination drive as
it was on the original drive.

On boot-up on the new drive, Vista may or may not think that the new drive
is significant enough to requiring reactivation. For me, it did not require
reactivation. If yours does, try the online method. If that fails, try the
phone activation. If that fails, stay on the line - a live person will help
you. Also, periodically, for no apparent reason, Vista requires
reactivation. Some people think it is associated with Vista upgrades and
driver upgrades. So don't be worried if you suddenly get the dreaded
reactivation or not genuine message. And don't let M$ trick you into paying
for your license again.

-Paul Randall

"Samuel Gutierrez" <Samuel Gutierrez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:85ED37C8-83B8-43A2-9AF0-F75F7B3F742C@microsoft.com...
>I had installed vista ultimate on a 120GB HD and I had another one with
>400GB
> as a music storage now I brought a new 400gb disk and I want to replace my
> old 120gb with the new 400GB; the question is: Can I do this? Will I have
> any
> problem with the disk volume and the key? or I need to buy a new windows
> due
> to my harddisk change?

Samuel Gutierrez

Re: upgrading harddisk
Thanks to all of you people for giving me answer about the case, now I know
that there is always a solution to the situation Y will do the ghost copy and
be better sure than sure