Dual HDD, Dual boot.

Clivesapple

Dual HDD, Dual boot.
I have 2 Hard drives on my computer and I have Vista Home Premium on one and
Vista Business on the second(slave). I have had trouble instaling this
business Vista as it is an upgrade from XP Professional,When the XP installed
on slave the vista failed to install. I have tried 3 times and gave up,
however it seemed to me that I could disconnect the master hdd and install
onto the slave without any interference from the first home premium on the
master hdd.
This worked a treat except that when I plugged in the master hdd the only OS
to start was the home premium. Now I can only use Business when I disconnect
the master hdd. How can I select which OS to load on start up.

John Barnes

Re: Dual HDD, Dual boot.
Use your install DVD and do a startup repair. The other option is to
download EasyBCD or VistaBootPro and add the other operating system entry to
the BCD.

"Clivesapple" <Clivesapple@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 Hard drives on my computer and I have Vista Home Premium on one
>and
> Vista Business on the second(slave). I have had trouble instaling this
> business Vista as it is an upgrade from XP Professional,When the XP
> installed
> on slave the vista failed to install. I have tried 3 times and gave up,
> however it seemed to me that I could disconnect the master hdd and install
> onto the slave without any interference from the first home premium on the
> master hdd.
> This worked a treat except that when I plugged in the master hdd the only
> OS
> to start was the home premium. Now I can only use Business when I
> disconnect
> the master hdd. How can I select which OS to load on start up.

peter

Re: Dual HDD, Dual boot.
You could also check your BIOS to see if it has the capabilities to let you
chose which HD to boot from during the bootup procedure.
A lot of the newer BIOS let you determine which HD to boot from by means of
pushing F12 during the boot process which brings up a screen listing your HD
and you then chose which to boot from.This way there is no messy boot
files/mbr changes which can create havoc later...like if you remove/lose the
C drive you will not be able to boot into anything...or you decide not to
dual boot anymore.
its still your choice
peter
"Clivesapple" <Clivesapple@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 Hard drives on my computer and I have Vista Home Premium on one
>and
> Vista Business on the second(slave). I have had trouble instaling this
> business Vista as it is an upgrade from XP Professional,When the XP
> installed
> on slave the vista failed to install. I have tried 3 times and gave up,
> however it seemed to me that I could disconnect the master hdd and install
> onto the slave without any interference from the first home premium on the
> master hdd.
> This worked a treat except that when I plugged in the master hdd the only
> OS
> to start was the home premium. Now I can only use Business when I
> disconnect
> the master hdd. How can I select which OS to load on start up.

John Barnes

Re: Dual HDD, Dual boot.
In his case he already has two independent systems, so there would be no
real problems later. Booting from the BIOS is, however, a good alternative.

"peter" <peter@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> You could also check your BIOS to see if it has the capabilities to let
> you chose which HD to boot from during the bootup procedure.
> A lot of the newer BIOS let you determine which HD to boot from by means
> of pushing F12 during the boot process which brings up a screen listing
> your HD and you then chose which to boot from.This way there is no messy
> boot files/mbr changes which can create havoc later...like if you
> remove/lose the C drive you will not be able to boot into anything...or
> you decide not to dual boot anymore.
> its still your choice
> peter
> "Clivesapple" <Clivesapple@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have 2 Hard drives on my computer and I have Vista Home Premium on one
>>and
>> Vista Business on the second(slave). I have had trouble instaling this
>> business Vista as it is an upgrade from XP Professional,When the XP
>> installed
>> on slave the vista failed to install. I have tried 3 times and gave up,
>> however it seemed to me that I could disconnect the master hdd and
>> install
>> onto the slave without any interference from the first home premium on
>> the
>> master hdd.
>> This worked a treat except that when I plugged in the master hdd the only
>> OS
>> to start was the home premium. Now I can only use Business when I
>> disconnect
>> the master hdd. How can I select which OS to load on start up.

Clivesapple

Re: Dual HDD, Dual boot.
WOW Thanks to you guys. I downloaded vistabootpro and now when I boot I get a
choice of OS's

"John Barnes" wrote:

> In his case he already has two independent systems, so there would be no
> real problems later. Booting from the BIOS is, however, a good alternative.
>
> "peter" <peter@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > You could also check your BIOS to see if it has the capabilities to let
> > you chose which HD to boot from during the bootup procedure.
> > A lot of the newer BIOS let you determine which HD to boot from by means
> > of pushing F12 during the boot process which brings up a screen listing
> > your HD and you then chose which to boot from.This way there is no messy
> > boot files/mbr changes which can create havoc later...like if you
> > remove/lose the C drive you will not be able to boot into anything...or
> > you decide not to dual boot anymore.
> > its still your choice
> > peter
> > "Clivesapple" <Clivesapple@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I have 2 Hard drives on my computer and I have Vista Home Premium on one
> >>and
> >> Vista Business on the second(slave). I have had trouble instaling this
> >> business Vista as it is an upgrade from XP Professional,When the XP
> >> installed
> >> on slave the vista failed to install. I have tried 3 times and gave up,
> >> however it seemed to me that I could disconnect the master hdd and
> >> install
> >> onto the slave without any interference from the first home premium on
> >> the
> >> master hdd.
> >> This worked a treat except that when I plugged in the master hdd the only
> >> OS
> >> to start was the home premium. Now I can only use Business when I
> >> disconnect
> >> the master hdd. How can I select which OS to load on start up.

Alan T

Re: Dual HDD, Dual boot.
For my ASUS A8NE, I press F8 to boot into the screen.