Can't Use Windows Vista Automatic Update - Please help.

MrSlartybartfast

Can't Use Windows Vista Automatic Update - Please help.
I would like to have Windows Vista automatically install security updates. I
would like for security updates to be installed as soon as possible or a
virus might ruin my computer.

Whenever I set Windows Update to automatically install the updates, it
continues to install an old version of my nvidia display driver. This is bad
because the old driver results in constant Timeout Detection and Recovery
errors. Even if I choose to hide the display driver update, eventually,
magically, it will somehow install itself. The only way I can stop the old
display driver from installing is to disable automatic updates.

So is there any other way to stop the old display driver from installing? I
think it is important to have automatic updates enabled. It's no good to
manually install security updates because if I forget then I might get a
virus.

For integrity, I provide this link to the nvidia forums, where other people
are also having this problem
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=43481&hl=

Can someone help us to permanently hide the display driver update so it wont
come back again so we can again use the Windows Automatic Updates.
Mick Murphy

RE: Can't Use Windows Vista Automatic Update - Please help.
Security Updates are NOT a substitute for an anti-virus!

Change updates from download and install > notify you when they are ready to
be downloaded and installed.

"MrSlartybartfast" wrote:

> I would like to have Windows Vista automatically install security updates. I
> would like for security updates to be installed as soon as possible or a
> virus might ruin my computer.
>
> Whenever I set Windows Update to automatically install the updates, it
> continues to install an old version of my nvidia display driver. This is bad
> because the old driver results in constant Timeout Detection and Recovery
> errors. Even if I choose to hide the display driver update, eventually,
> magically, it will somehow install itself. The only way I can stop the old
> display driver from installing is to disable automatic updates.
>
> So is there any other way to stop the old display driver from installing? I
> think it is important to have automatic updates enabled. It's no good to
> manually install security updates because if I forget then I might get a
> virus.
>
> For integrity, I provide this link to the nvidia forums, where other people
> are also having this problem
> http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=43481&hl=
>
> Can someone help us to permanently hide the display driver update so it wont
> come back again so we can again use the Windows Automatic Updates.

MrSlartybartfast

RE: Can't Use Windows Vista Automatic Update - Please help.
Sounds easy. Who should tell the other 10million Vista users with NVidia
video cards that they also need to do this?

I really am NOT surprised the internet is plagued with complaints from Vista
users with NVidia video cards. This seemingly innocent update is the source
of the problems. Whoever is in charge of Windows Update needs a good kick in
the pants.

Oh, did I mention that once this driver update is installed it is near
impossible to replace it with a newer driver. Any atempt to update the
driver and a million reliability patches will not stop Vista from crashing.
What a crock.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Security Updates are NOT a substitute for an anti-virus!
>
> Change updates from download and install > notify you when they are ready to
> be downloaded and installed.
>
> "MrSlartybartfast" wrote:
>
> > I would like to have Windows Vista automatically install security updates. I
> > would like for security updates to be installed as soon as possible or a
> > virus might ruin my computer.
> >
> > Whenever I set Windows Update to automatically install the updates, it
> > continues to install an old version of my nvidia display driver. This is bad
> > because the old driver results in constant Timeout Detection and Recovery
> > errors. Even if I choose to hide the display driver update, eventually,
> > magically, it will somehow install itself. The only way I can stop the old
> > display driver from installing is to disable automatic updates.
> >
> > So is there any other way to stop the old display driver from installing? I
> > think it is important to have automatic updates enabled. It's no good to
> > manually install security updates because if I forget then I might get a
> > virus.
> >
> > For integrity, I provide this link to the nvidia forums, where other people
> > are also having this problem
> > http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=43481&hl=
> >
> > Can someone help us to permanently hide the display driver update so it wont
> > come back again so we can again use the Windows Automatic Updates.

Richard Urban

Re: Can't Use Windows Vista Automatic Update - Please help.
I have had an Nvidia driver hidden for about 3 months now. Update never
tries to install it.

Do you ever reboot your computer or do you continually put it to sleep?
Sometimes a reboot is needed to lock a change into the registry. I know that
this should not be but it sometimes is necessary. That is why I reboot after
installing/uninstalling a program, whether I am told to - or not.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User