Vista won't intall

tpmacleod

Vista won't intall
Vista load its files, goes to the moving little green bars, to a black screen
with a big cursor then does nothing. I have let it sit for 30 minutes hoping
it was just thinking. Any suggestions.
MrSlartybartfast

RE: Vista won't intall
Press f8 just before windows starts to load. Then you have the option to
boot into safe mode. From safe mode, you can use system restore to restore
your computer to an earlier time when it was working.

"tpmacleod" wrote:

> Vista load its files, goes to the moving little green bars, to a black screen
> with a big cursor then does nothing. I have let it sit for 30 minutes hoping
> it was just thinking. Any suggestions.

tpmacleod

RE: Vista won't intall
Thanks for the info. I am actually a couple of steps before that. I am trying
install Vista onto a clean hard drive. My XP drive is disconnected.

"MrSlartybartfast" wrote:

> Press f8 just before windows starts to load. Then you have the option to
> boot into safe mode. From safe mode, you can use system restore to restore
> your computer to an earlier time when it was working.
>
> "tpmacleod" wrote:
>
> > Vista load its files, goes to the moving little green bars, to a black screen
> > with a big cursor then does nothing. I have let it sit for 30 minutes hoping
> > it was just thinking. Any suggestions.

MrSlartybartfast

RE: Vista won't intall
Is all your hardware vista compatible? Maybe a BIOS update is needed.

"tpmacleod" wrote:

> Thanks for the info. I am actually a couple of steps before that. I am trying
> install Vista onto a clean hard drive. My XP drive is disconnected.
>

> "MrSlartybartfast" wrote:
>
> > Press f8 just before windows starts to load. Then you have the option to
> > boot into safe mode. From safe mode, you can use system restore to restore
> > your computer to an earlier time when it was working.
> >
> > "tpmacleod" wrote:
> >
> > > Vista load its files, goes to the moving little green bars, to a black screen
> > > with a big cursor then does nothing. I have let it sit for 30 minutes hoping
> > > it was just thinking. Any suggestions.

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista won't intall
You are dangerous on here. You whinge about updates in your thread, then tell
somebody to update BIOS. Do they know how to do that?

And for your info, i've been running Vista since it came out, with NO
crashes; and it is on a 5yo Packard Bell(Updated Graphics and RAM), and NO
BIOS update.

As I said, you are dangerous!

"MrSlartybartfast" wrote:

> Is all your hardware vista compatible? Maybe a BIOS update is needed.
>
> "tpmacleod" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the info. I am actually a couple of steps before that. I am trying
> > install Vista onto a clean hard drive. My XP drive is disconnected.
> >

> > "MrSlartybartfast" wrote:
> >
> > > Press f8 just before windows starts to load. Then you have the option to
> > > boot into safe mode. From safe mode, you can use system restore to restore
> > > your computer to an earlier time when it was working.

John Barnes

Re: Vista won't intall
One of the first things to try is to unplug anything, especially usb
devices, that aren't necessary to install Vista.

"tpmacleod" <tpmacleod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Vista load its files, goes to the moving little green bars, to a black
> screen
> with a big cursor then does nothing. I have let it sit for 30 minutes
> hoping
> it was just thinking. Any suggestions.

MrSlartybartfast

RE: Vista won't intall
Mick Murphy: You are a rude little boy. If some of the hardware is not
compatible then it might stop Vista from installing correctly. I only said
to CHECK if it is compatible. If anything needs updating then it can be done
by a professional.

An example is the ASUS p5w-dh motherboard, which will not install Vista with
BIOS version earlier than 1705. Unplugging PCI cards or disabling onboard
devices might allow installation with earlier BIOS versions.

So the OP needs to CHECK his hardware is compatible and CHECK if there are
updates available which might help.

OFF TOPIC: If your packard bell pc is so reliable then try installing a
nvidia video card, install the latest driver, then turn on automatic updates.
I guarantee it will crash before the end of the day. If Microsoft want to
promote automatic updates then this problem needs to be fixed.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> You are dangerous on here. You whinge about updates in your thread, then tell
> somebody to update BIOS. Do they know how to do that?
>
> And for your info, i've been running Vista since it came out, with NO
> crashes; and it is on a 5yo Packard Bell(Updated Graphics and RAM), and NO
> BIOS update.
>
> As I said, you are dangerous!
>
> "MrSlartybartfast" wrote:
>
> > Is all your hardware vista compatible? Maybe a BIOS update is needed.
> >
> > "tpmacleod" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for the info. I am actually a couple of steps before that. I am trying
> > > install Vista onto a clean hard drive. My XP drive is disconnected.

Naps

RE: Vista won't intall
I had a similar problem that was happening with my computer. What was
happening was, Vista would install, then after reboot it would say that the
install was uinsuccessful and that I needed to reinstall (to no avail).
Finally what I ended up doing was isolating the problem to a driver issue
with my SATA controller... I could either disable SATA altogether in BIOS
for the install, and install Vista on an old school ATA drive, and then
re-enable after the install; or if you poke around in the installer, you
should see an option to load drivers. Use this to load the driver that came
with your motherboard for the SATA controller, or better yet use the updated
drivers you downloaded off the internet from your manufacturer's website and
burnt to a CD.
Rember, if you decide to try burning a cd, don't expect the .exe installer
to load the driver for you. Those need to be extracted using something like
WinRar (www.rarsoft.com) into a directory, because the load drivers thing
will want an .ini file and .dlls.
Lastly my motherboard is an evga 580i AMD, incase you are wondering.

Hope this helps.