Vista file access deny

ASG

Vista file access deny
I am using Windows Vista Ultimate.64 Bits. I am running as administrator,
single user.
When I try to open Documents and Settings files, such as cookie, local
Settings, folders,
I need to open up, set property, each folder, one at a time.
Is there any way to open all files access?
Thank you.

Synapse Syndrome

Re: Vista file access deny
"ASG" <nospam-nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am using Windows Vista Ultimate.64 Bits. I am running as administrator,
>single user.
> When I try to open Documents and Settings files, such as cookie, local
> Settings, folders,
> I need to open up, set property, each folder, one at a time.
> Is there any way to open all files access?
> Thank you.

There is no Documents and Settings folder in Vista. Are you trying to open
those hidden folder icons with shortcut arrows on them? Those are not
folders. They are Junction Points, to redirect legacy programs to the new
Vista folders.

ss.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Vista file access deny
ASG

The default name and location of some user folders has changed in Vista. The
"My" designation has been retired.

The folders you are seeing (Documents and Settings, My Music, My Pictures,
My Videos, etc) are not real folders, they are called Junctions and they are
there for compatibility purposes only. These junctions will redirect any
older program or application installations to the new location in Vista. You
can identify these junctions by the shortcut arrow that appears on the
folder icon.

Example: The C:\Documents and Settings folder is now called C:\Users.
Example: The My Documents folder is now simply called Documents. It still
appears under the Users/username folder.

It's very important to understand that these junctions do not contain any
useful information and should not be opened or used like a regular folder.

There is a website that explains this in detail and has a list of the old
folders that you saw in XP with their new names/locations in Vista.

Windows Vista Junction Points:
http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"ASG" <nospam-nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am using Windows Vista Ultimate.64 Bits. I am running as administrator,
>single user.
> When I try to open Documents and Settings files, such as cookie, local
> Settings, folders,
> I need to open up, set property, each folder, one at a time.
> Is there any way to open all files access?
> Thank you.

ASG

Re: Vista file access deny
Thank you.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Vista file access deny
ASG

Your welcome, glad this helped.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

> Thank you.

uvbogden

Re: Vista file access deny
You can enable access to all the folders, subfolders and files on a drive by
right-click on the drive, select Properties, select Security, take Ownership,
grant yourself Full Control, then in the Sharing tab, allow Sharing with
Everyone. Even doing the previous with UAC off and with full Administrator
Privileges, Vista will still deny full access to some files, Bill Gates only
knows why.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> ASG
>
> Your welcome, glad this helped.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "ASG" <nospam-nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you.

Synapse Syndrome

Re: Vista file access deny
"uvbogden" <uvbogden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You can enable access to all the folders, subfolders and files on a drive
> by
> right-click on the drive, select Properties, select Security, take
> Ownership,
> grant yourself Full Control, then in the Sharing tab, allow Sharing with
> Everyone. Even doing the previous with UAC off and with full
> Administrator
> Privileges, Vista will still deny full access to some files, Bill Gates
> only
> knows why.

This is irrelevant to what has been discussed. These junction points are
neither files or folders and have nothing within them to be accessed.

ss.

ASG

Re: Vista file access deny
"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote in message
> There is no Documents and Settings folder in Vista. Are you trying to
> open those hidden folder icons with shortcut arrows on them? Those are
> not folders. They are Junction Points, to redirect legacy programs to the
> new Vista folders.
>
> ss.

Can you tell me how to trace this Junction Points back to what the actual
folder or file is?
Or, where this Junction Points will redirect to?

> "Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote in message
>> There is no Documents and Settings folder in Vista. Are you trying to
>> open those hidden folder icons with shortcut arrows on them? Those are
>> not folders. They are Junction Points, to redirect legacy programs to
>> the new Vista folders.
>>

> Can you tell me how to trace this Junction Points back to what the actual
> folder or file is?
> Or, where this Junction Points will redirect to?

In a Command Prompt, you just use the DIR command to list them:

DIR /A:L

Here for more info:

http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm

And here for an a handy GUI tool that can list them in all locations:

http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm

ss.