Trouble: Vista's Setup.exe is not a Valid Win32 Application...? H

BostonKDubs

Trouble: Vista's Setup.exe is not a Valid Win32 Application...? H
Hi there,

I recently received my copy of Windows Vista Ultimate (much to my delight).
However, I tried to insert the 32 bit DVD into my DVD drive, and it
recognizes that there's a disc, but it won't automatically run. Then, when I
try to double-click on the DVD drive icon, I receive a message that says:

"E:\is not a valid Win32 application."

So, I right-clicked on the icon, and chose the "Explore" option. I found
the main setup.exe file, but when I double click on that, I get another error
saying:

"E:\setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

I also tried to boot from the DVD, but it fails to do so and continues to
boot from the hard drive to Windows XP Pro.

I don't know what's going on with the DVD or my computer, but I don't
understand why it won't work (the drive is able to read other DVDs without a
problem). What makes it worse is that although I can't open the 64 bit DVD
on my laptop (no support), I can get the computer to boot from it and even
load the files before saying it can't continue because my laptop won't
support 64 bit.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I would really like to do a clean
install of Windows Vista, and I don't know if it's a setting that needs to be
adjusted or it's a defective or corrupt DVD. Please let me know any
information you may have on this or if it's simply a matter of having to
return the copy I was sent for a new set of DVDs. Or should I just order the
32 bit CDs and try that? I just want it to work!!

As a sidenote, the Windows Upgrade Advisor tells me I can run Windows Vista
Business with no problem (that was the recommendation, and Ultimate isn't
that different), but I haven't even been able to get that far... :-( Any
help would be appreciated!!

Thanks!
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Trouble: Vista's Setup.exe is not a Valid Win32 Application...? H
Where did you obtain your Vista Ultimate DVD from?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"BostonKDubs" <BostonKDubs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

Jane C

Re: Trouble: Vista's Setup.exe is not a Valid Win32 Application...? H
Hi,

You may need to go into the BIOS and set the boot priority to boot from DVD
first.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"BostonKDubs" <BostonKDubs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I recently received my copy of Windows Vista Ultimate (much to my
> delight).
> However, I tried to insert the 32 bit DVD into my DVD drive, and it
> recognizes that there's a disc, but it won't automatically run. Then,
> when I
> try to double-click on the DVD drive icon, I receive a message that says:
>
> "E:\is not a valid Win32 application."
>
> So, I right-clicked on the icon, and chose the "Explore" option. I found
> the main setup.exe file, but when I double click on that, I get another
> error
> saying:
>
> "E:\setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application."
>
> I also tried to boot from the DVD, but it fails to do so and continues to
> boot from the hard drive to Windows XP Pro.
>
> I don't know what's going on with the DVD or my computer, but I don't
> understand why it won't work (the drive is able to read other DVDs without
> problem). What makes it worse is that although I can't open the 64 bit
> DVD
> on my laptop (no support), I can get the computer to boot from it and even
> load the files before saying it can't continue because my laptop won't
> support 64 bit.
>
> Is there anything I can do to fix this? I would really like to do a clean
> install of Windows Vista, and I don't know if it's a setting that needs to
> be
> adjusted or it's a defective or corrupt DVD. Please let me know any
> information you may have on this or if it's simply a matter of having to
> return the copy I was sent for a new set of DVDs. Or should I just order
> the
> 32 bit CDs and try that? I just want it to work!!
>
> As a sidenote, the Windows Upgrade Advisor tells me I can run Windows
> Vista
> Business with no problem (that was the recommendation, and Ultimate isn't
> that different), but I haven't even been able to get that far... :-( Any
> help would be appreciated!!
>
> Thanks!

Kerry Brown

Re: Trouble: Vista's Setup.exe is not a Valid Win32 Application...? H
That's the error message you get if you try to run the 64 bit setup program
from within a 32 bit version of Windows. You have to boot from the DVD and
do a clean install of Vista x64. Are you sure you had the 32 bit DVD?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"BostonKDubs" <BostonKDubs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I recently received my copy of Windows Vista Ultimate (much to my
> delight).
> However, I tried to insert the 32 bit DVD into my DVD drive, and it
> recognizes that there's a disc, but it won't automatically run. Then,
> when I
> try to double-click on the DVD drive icon, I receive a message that says:
>
> "E:\is not a valid Win32 application."
>
> So, I right-clicked on the icon, and chose the "Explore" option. I found
> the main setup.exe file, but when I double click on that, I get another
> error
> saying:
>
> "E:\setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application."
>
> I also tried to boot from the DVD, but it fails to do so and continues to
> boot from the hard drive to Windows XP Pro.
>
> I don't know what's going on with the DVD or my computer, but I don't
> understand why it won't work (the drive is able to read other DVDs without
> problem). What makes it worse is that although I can't open the 64 bit
> DVD
> on my laptop (no support), I can get the computer to boot from it and even
> load the files before saying it can't continue because my laptop won't
> support 64 bit.
>
> Is there anything I can do to fix this? I would really like to do a clean
> install of Windows Vista, and I don't know if it's a setting that needs to
> be
> adjusted or it's a defective or corrupt DVD. Please let me know any
> information you may have on this or if it's simply a matter of having to
> return the copy I was sent for a new set of DVDs. Or should I just order
> the
> 32 bit CDs and try that? I just want it to work!!
>
> As a sidenote, the Windows Upgrade Advisor tells me I can run Windows
> Vista
> Business with no problem (that was the recommendation, and Ultimate isn't
> that different), but I haven't even been able to get that far... :-( Any
> help would be appreciated!!
>
> Thanks!

BostonKDubs

Re: Trouble: Vista's Setup.exe is not a Valid Win32 Application...
It is a full retail version (both 32 and 64 bit DVDs included) that I got
through the Windows Live Search Club.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Where did you obtain your Vista Ultimate DVD from?
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "BostonKDubs" <BostonKDubs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I recently received my copy of Windows Vista Ultimate (much to my delight).
> However, I tried to insert the 32 bit DVD into my DVD drive, and it
> recognizes that there's a disc, but it won't automatically run. Then, when I
> try to double-click on the DVD drive icon, I receive a message that says:
>
> "E:\is not a valid Win32 application."
>
> So, I right-clicked on the icon, and chose the "Explore" option. I found
> the main setup.exe file, but when I double click on that, I get another error
> saying:
>
> "E:\setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application."
>
> I also tried to boot from the DVD, but it fails to do so and continues to
> boot from the hard drive to Windows XP Pro.
>
> I don't know what's going on with the DVD or my computer, but I don't
> understand why it won't work (the drive is able to read other DVDs without a
> problem). What makes it worse is that although I can't open the 64 bit DVD
> on my laptop (no support), I can get the computer to boot from it and even
> load the files before saying it can't continue because my laptop won't
> support 64 bit.
>
> Is there anything I can do to fix this? I would really like to do a clean
> install of Windows Vista, and I don't know if it's a setting that needs to be
> adjusted or it's a defective or corrupt DVD. Please let me know any
> information you may have on this or if it's simply a matter of having to
> return the copy I was sent for a new set of DVDs. Or should I just order the
> 32 bit CDs and try that? I just want it to work!!
>
> As a sidenote, the Windows Upgrade Advisor tells me I can run Windows Vista
> Business with no problem (that was the recommendation, and Ultimate isn't
> that different), but I haven't even been able to get that far... :-( Any
> help would be appreciated!!
>
> Thanks!

BostonKDubs

Re: Trouble: Vista's Setup.exe is not a Valid Win32 Application...
I guess I didn't mention that, but that was the first thing I checked when
the 32 bit DVD wouldn't work as a boot disk. It is set to boot from the
CD/DVD drive first, but it doesn't with the 32 bit DVD.

"Jane C" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You may need to go into the BIOS and set the boot priority to boot from DVD
> first.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "BostonKDubs" <BostonKDubs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I recently received my copy of Windows Vista Ultimate (much to my
> > delight).
> > However, I tried to insert the 32 bit DVD into my DVD drive, and it
> > recognizes that there's a disc, but it won't automatically run. Then,
> > when I
> > try to double-click on the DVD drive icon, I receive a message that says:
> >
> > "E:\is not a valid Win32 application."
> >
> > So, I right-clicked on the icon, and chose the "Explore" option. I found
> > the main setup.exe file, but when I double click on that, I get another
> > error
> > saying:
> >
> > "E:\setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application."
> >
> > I also tried to boot from the DVD, but it fails to do so and continues to
> > boot from the hard drive to Windows XP Pro.
> >
> > I don't know what's going on with the DVD or my computer, but I don't
> > understand why it won't work (the drive is able to read other DVDs without
> > problem). What makes it worse is that although I can't open the 64 bit
> > DVD
> > on my laptop (no support), I can get the computer to boot from it and even
> > load the files before saying it can't continue because my laptop won't
> > support 64 bit.
> >
> > Is there anything I can do to fix this? I would really like to do a clean
> > install of Windows Vista, and I don't know if it's a setting that needs to
> > be
> > adjusted or it's a defective or corrupt DVD. Please let me know any
> > information you may have on this or if it's simply a matter of having to
> > return the copy I was sent for a new set of DVDs. Or should I just order
> > the
> > 32 bit CDs and try that? I just want it to work!!
> >
> > As a sidenote, the Windows Upgrade Advisor tells me I can run Windows
> > Vista
> > Business with no problem (that was the recommendation, and Ultimate isn't
> > that different), but I haven't even been able to get that far... :-( Any
> > help would be appreciated!!
> >
> > Thanks!

BostonKDubs

Re: Trouble: Vista's Setup.exe is not a Valid Win32 Application...
Both 32 bit and 64 bit DVDs gave me the same error message. I tried to boot
from the 32 bit DVD as I mentioned, and it didn't work. And I was sure to
try both DVDs multiple times, although I'm aware that my computer will not
support the 64 bit. However, the laptop did boot off of the 64 bit DVD far
enough to load the files and then tell me it wouldn't work.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> That's the error message you get if you try to run the 64 bit setup program
> from within a 32 bit version of Windows. You have to boot from the DVD and
> do a clean install of Vista x64. Are you sure you had the 32 bit DVD?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "BostonKDubs" <BostonKDubs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I recently received my copy of Windows Vista Ultimate (much to my
> > delight).
> > However, I tried to insert the 32 bit DVD into my DVD drive, and it
> > recognizes that there's a disc, but it won't automatically run. Then,
> > when I
> > try to double-click on the DVD drive icon, I receive a message that says:
> >
> > "E:\is not a valid Win32 application."
> >
> > So, I right-clicked on the icon, and chose the "Explore" option. I found
> > the main setup.exe file, but when I double click on that, I get another
> > error
> > saying:
> >
> > "E:\setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application."
> >
> > I also tried to boot from the DVD, but it fails to do so and continues to
> > boot from the hard drive to Windows XP Pro.
> >
> > I don't know what's going on with the DVD or my computer, but I don't
> > understand why it won't work (the drive is able to read other DVDs without
> > problem). What makes it worse is that although I can't open the 64 bit
> > DVD
> > on my laptop (no support), I can get the computer to boot from it and even
> > load the files before saying it can't continue because my laptop won't
> > support 64 bit.
> >
> > Is there anything I can do to fix this? I would really like to do a clean
> > install of Windows Vista, and I don't know if it's a setting that needs to
> > be
> > adjusted or it's a defective or corrupt DVD. Please let me know any
> > information you may have on this or if it's simply a matter of having to
> > return the copy I was sent for a new set of DVDs. Or should I just order
> > the
> > 32 bit CDs and try that? I just want it to work!!
> >
> > As a sidenote, the Windows Upgrade Advisor tells me I can run Windows
> > Vista
> > Business with no problem (that was the recommendation, and Ultimate isn't
> > that different), but I haven't even been able to get that far... :-( Any
> > help would be appreciated!!
> >
> > Thanks!

Hobo

Re: Trouble: Vista's Setup.exe is not a Valid Win32 Application...
Do you have an upgrade version? If so, you have to start it
from within XP or whatever to install it.

Hobo

BostonKDubs wrote:

> Both 32 bit and 64 bit DVDs gave me the same error message. I tried to boot
> from the 32 bit DVD as I mentioned, and it didn't work. And I was sure to
> try both DVDs multiple times, although I'm aware that my computer will not
> support the 64 bit. However, the laptop did boot off of the 64 bit DVD far
> enough to load the files and then tell me it wouldn't work.
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>

>>That's the error message you get if you try to run the 64 bit setup program
>>from within a 32 bit version of Windows. You have to boot from the DVD and
>>do a clean install of Vista x64. Are you sure you had the 32 bit DVD?
>>
>>--
>>Kerry Brown
>>Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>>http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>

>>"BostonKDubs" <BostonKDubs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi there,
>>>
>>>I recently received my copy of Windows Vista Ultimate (much to my
>>>delight).
>>>However, I tried to insert the 32 bit DVD into my DVD drive, and it
>>>recognizes that there's a disc, but it won't automatically run. Then,
>>>when I
>>>try to double-click on the DVD drive icon, I receive a message that says:
>>>
>>>"E:\is not a valid Win32 application."
>>>
>>>So, I right-clicked on the icon, and chose the "Explore" option. I found
>>>the main setup.exe file, but when I double click on that, I get another
>>>error
>>>saying:
>>>
>>>"E:\setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application."
>>>
>>>I also tried to boot from the DVD, but it fails to do so and continues to
>>>boot from the hard drive to Windows XP Pro.
>>>
>>>I don't know what's going on with the DVD or my computer, but I don't
>>>understand why it won't work (the drive is able to read other DVDs without
>>>problem). What makes it worse is that although I can't open the 64 bit
>>>DVD
>>>on my laptop (no support), I can get the computer to boot from it and even
>>>load the files before saying it can't continue because my laptop won't
>>>support 64 bit.
>>>
>>>Is there anything I can do to fix this? I would really like to do a clean
>>>install of Windows Vista, and I don't know if it's a setting that needs to
>>>be
>>>adjusted or it's a defective or corrupt DVD. Please let me know any
>>>information you may have on this or if it's simply a matter of having to
>>>return the copy I was sent for a new set of DVDs. Or should I just order
>>>the
>>>32 bit CDs and try that? I just want it to work!!
>>>
>>>As a sidenote, the Windows Upgrade Advisor tells me I can run Windows
>>>Vista
>>>Business with no problem (that was the recommendation, and Ultimate isn't
>>>that different), but I haven't even been able to get that far... :-( Any
>>>help would be appreciated!!
>>>
>>>Thanks!

BostonKDubs

Re: Trouble: Vista's Setup.exe is not a Valid Win32 Application...
Nope, it's a full retail version of Ultimate. Should work either way, but
would prefer to do a clean install.

"Hobo" wrote:

> Do you have an upgrade version? If so, you have to start it
> from within XP or whatever to install it.
>
> Hobo
>

> BostonKDubs wrote:
>
> > Both 32 bit and 64 bit DVDs gave me the same error message. I tried to boot
> > from the 32 bit DVD as I mentioned, and it didn't work. And I was sure to
> > try both DVDs multiple times, although I'm aware that my computer will not
> > support the 64 bit. However, the laptop did boot off of the 64 bit DVD far
> > enough to load the files and then tell me it wouldn't work.
> >
> > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
> >

> >>That's the error message you get if you try to run the 64 bit setup program
> >>from within a 32 bit version of Windows. You have to boot from the DVD and
> >>do a clean install of Vista x64. Are you sure you had the 32 bit DVD?
> >>
> >>--
> >>Kerry Brown
> >>Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> >>http://www.vistahelp.ca

skaggsy

Re: Trouble: Vista's Setup.exe is not a Valid Win32 Application...? H

I wish I could help, Bostonkdubs. I have the same issue as you trying to
Install Windows Vista. I came here hoping for solutions but sadly no one
here is able or willing to help. Obviously this issue is beyond the
scope of anyone's expertise. I do not mean that in a bad way, just that
no one offered any solutions or was able to solve your issue. I was
misled by the site's heading of How To Fix Computers. I am going to keep
researching and I promise you I will come back and give you the solution
when I get it! Dang if I am going to pay Microsoft for help!