Baffling Installation Problem

Robert McElligott

Baffling Installation Problem
Today I recieved an OEM copy of Windows Vista Home Basic 64 bit, and
attempted it to install it into my recently assembled rig (Athlon 64X2 4400,
MSN-X, 2gb ram, DVDrw). It appeared to boot; a progress bar appeared saying
windows was copying files, then when it completed, a smaller green bar like
the one that appeares when XP starts up appeared over the words: "microsoft
corporation" this too finished, and was replaced by a green/blue screen and
the mouse cursor (which moves) unfortunately, nothing further happens. no
options or instructions appear, it simply stays this way indefinitely, unless
i switch off the pc.

what could be causing this?
Mick Murphy

RE: Baffling Installation Problem
Are you booting from your CD/DVD Drive?

"Robert McElligott" wrote:

> Today I recieved an OEM copy of Windows Vista Home Basic 64 bit, and
> attempted it to install it into my recently assembled rig (Athlon 64X2 4400,
> MSN-X, 2gb ram, DVDrw). It appeared to boot; a progress bar appeared saying
> windows was copying files, then when it completed, a smaller green bar like
> the one that appeares when XP starts up appeared over the words: "microsoft
> corporation" this too finished, and was replaced by a green/blue screen and
> the mouse cursor (which moves) unfortunately, nothing further happens. no
> options or instructions appear, it simply stays this way indefinitely, unless
> i switch off the pc.
>
> what could be causing this?

peter

Re: Baffling Installation Problem
You listed everything but Hard Drives and Mobo .......which would help to
narrow the problem...
OEM versions need to be installed onto an empty HD...........
peter

"Robert McElligott" <RobertMcElligott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:77680B06-81FC-486E-95AB-9889BCA94DEE@microsoft.com...
> Today I recieved an OEM copy of Windows Vista Home Basic 64 bit, and
> attempted it to install it into my recently assembled rig (Athlon 64X2
> 4400,
> MSN-X, 2gb ram, DVDrw). It appeared to boot; a progress bar appeared
> saying
> windows was copying files, then when it completed, a smaller green bar
> like
> the one that appeares when XP starts up appeared over the words:
> "microsoft
> corporation" this too finished, and was replaced by a green/blue screen
> and
> the mouse cursor (which moves) unfortunately, nothing further happens. no
> options or instructions appear, it simply stays this way indefinitely,
> unless
> i switch off the pc.
>
> what could be causing this?

Robert McElligott

Re: Baffling Installation Problem
The motherboard in an Asus MSN-X Nforce 520, the harddrive is a new OEM
hitachi 160gb Sata. every thing seems fine on the bios, could the GFX card be
the problem? I am booting from a SATA DVD. I've heard something vague about
certain SATA optical drives not being able to boot Vista properly, and also
about certain GFX Cards preventing proper boot as well. unfortunately i cant
take out the GFX card because there is no integrated option