computer will not start

fran pez

computer will not start
I’m have a problem starting my computer. when I shut down my computer, and
press the restart button the computer will boot without a problem. but if I
start the computer an hour later, the computer will not start on the first
try. I usually have to boot the computer five times before my computer
starts. I’m also have a problem with sleep mode. when I put the computer on
sleep mode, I can wake the computer by just moving the mouse. But only if I
wake the computer within the hour. If I let the computer sleep longer than an
hour, the computer will freeze. The monitor will not light up and the
computer will not boot. Only the lights of the computer case come on.
What’s causing these problem? Can you help?

Computer info:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Business
Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name APPLELORD1
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, 3000 Mhz, 2
Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS
Revision 0903, 1/2/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.16407"
User Name applelord1\fran pez 1
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 4,093.69 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.95 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.15 GB
Available Virtual Memory 7.07 GB
Page File Space 4.29 GB
Page File C
Seth

Re: computer will not start
"fran pez" <fran pez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I’m have a problem starting my computer. when I shut down my computer,
> and
> press the restart button the computer will boot without a problem. but if
> start the computer an hour later, the computer will not start on the first
> try. I usually have to boot the computer five times before my computer
> starts. I’m also have a problem with sleep mode. when I put the computer
> on
> sleep mode, I can wake the computer by just moving the mouse. But only if
> wake the computer within the hour. If I let the computer sleep longer than
> an
> hour, the computer will freeze. The monitor will not light up and the
> computer will not boot. Only the lights of the computer case come on.
> What’s causing these problem? Can you help?

Sounds like a weak power supply or a bad solder joint.

For the former, if your PC isn't in a proprietary case you could pick up a
new power supply just about anywhere and swap it in.

For the latter, that's a lot tougher to troubleshoot. Something on the
motherboard has a bad/loose solder connection. When the system is cool,
some circuit isn't making good contact. Once the system is warmed up, the
components expand a little, bridging the gap of the bad connection.

fran pez

Re: computer will not start
seth, thank you replying. I have a 560w power suppy. I think that's more
than enough power suppy for my computer. then again i'm not really sure.
like you said, it might be the motherboard. I'm going to check on that, and
I will get back to you as soon i can. thank you again for replying.

fran

"Seth" wrote:

> "fran pez" <fran pez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I’m have a problem starting my computer. when I shut down my computer,
> > and
> > press the restart button the computer will boot without a problem. but if
> > start the computer an hour later, the computer will not start on the first
> > try. I usually have to boot the computer five times before my computer
> > starts. I’m also have a problem with sleep mode. when I put the computer
> > on
> > sleep mode, I can wake the computer by just moving the mouse. But only if
> > wake the computer within the hour. If I let the computer sleep longer than
> > an
> > hour, the computer will freeze. The monitor will not light up and the
> > computer will not boot. Only the lights of the computer case come on.
> > What’s causing these problem? Can you help?

> Sounds like a weak power supply or a bad solder joint.
>
> For the former, if your PC isn't in a proprietary case you could pick up a
> new power supply just about anywhere and swap it in.
>
> For the latter, that's a lot tougher to troubleshoot. Something on the
> motherboard has a bad/loose solder connection. When the system is cool,
> some circuit isn't making good contact. Once the system is warmed up, the
> components expand a little, bridging the gap of the bad connection.

Roedy Green

Re: computer will not start
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:12:04 -0700, fran pez <fran
pez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

>Im have a problem starting my computer. when I shut down my computer, and
>press the restart button the computer will boot without a problem. but if I
>start the computer an hour later, the computer will not start on the first
>try. I usually have to boot the computer five times before my computer
>starts

Your problem is a bad contact. Heat makes the metal expand closing
the contact.

If you want to get rid of the problem you need to "cramistab" your
computer.

See http://mindprod.com/bgloss/contacttreating.html

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
fran pez

Re: computer will not start
But sir , I just bought the computer a month ago. can cramistab really solve
the problem? Well, I guess it's worth a try. I will get back to you as soon
as i can.
and thank you for replying to my post.