Install Windows Vista OS with an Upgrade?

Garrett B

Install Windows Vista OS with an Upgrade?
Hey I got an update for my computer that I bought with XP on it and I bought
the Vista home upgrade. But I want to keep XP on that computer and build
another computer. Can I use the Upgrade on a hard disk with no previous OS?
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Install Windows Vista OS with an Upgrade?
No. That upgrade is only valid if the original
Windows XP operating system is installed.
Since Windows XP was preinstalled on your
computer, it is the only computer you can
upgrade to Windows Vista with the upgrade
disc you received.

You would need to purchase a "full version"
of Windows Vista in order to install it on
a computer with no qualifying Windows
operating system installed.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Garrett B" wrote:

Hey I got an update for my computer that I bought with XP on it and I bought
the Vista home upgrade. But I want to keep XP on that computer and build
another computer. Can I use the Upgrade on a hard disk with no previous OS?
Paul Randall

Re: Install Windows Vista OS with an Upgrade?
Read the EULA carefully. I think you have only one license. It allows you
to run two ways:
1) XP on one computer. If it is an OEM license, it can never be transferred
to any other computer.
2) Vista on one computer, probably with a different product ID, but being an
upgrade license, it 'uses up' the license of the OS it was upgraded from.
If OEM, can never be transferred to any other computer.
You can only run one of the two choices, not both at the same time.
You may be able to switch back and forth between XP and Vista, but I think
the rules for that are kind of murkey.

-Paul Randall