Re-Activation, NOT GENUINE?

eeh

Re-Activation, NOT GENUINE?
I upgraded my Dell XP to Vista Home Premium in Feb-07. Dell sent the Vista
disk and the upgrade went fine.

Suddenly today, Aug 19, I get a Microsoft message saying Microsoft can't
validate my copy of Vista and logs me off. I re-enter my product key and am
told it's already in use and it logs me off. I go through the telephone
activation system, which worked and am back in business. However!

Now I have a message on my screen that says:
"Windows Vista (TM)
Build 6000
This copy of Windows is not genuine".

What in the heck is going on?
I've been running Vista for 6 months and now it suddenly can't validate and
logs me off.
John Barnes

Re: Re-Activation, NOT GENUINE?
You should go to the Windows Genuine Advantage page and have your system
verified genuine.
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...yValidate.aspx

"eeh" <eeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I upgraded my Dell XP to Vista Home Premium in Feb-07. Dell sent the Vista
> disk and the upgrade went fine.
>
> Suddenly today, Aug 19, I get a Microsoft message saying Microsoft can't
> validate my copy of Vista and logs me off. I re-enter my product key and
> am
> told it's already in use and it logs me off. I go through the telephone
> activation system, which worked and am back in business. However!
>
> Now I have a message on my screen that says:
> "Windows Vista (TM)
> Build 6000
> This copy of Windows is not genuine".
>
> What in the heck is going on?
> I've been running Vista for 6 months and now it suddenly can't validate
> and
> logs me off.

eeh

"This copy of Windows is not genuine"
I followed the link and Microsoft validated my copy of Vista.
But it still left the message on my desktop saying;
"This copy of Windows is not genuine".

Microsoft, how do I get this message off my desktop? You put it there!
Please take it off!

"John Barnes" wrote:

> You should go to the Windows Genuine Advantage page and have your system
> verified genuine.
> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...yValidate.aspx
>

> "eeh" <eeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I upgraded my Dell XP to Vista Home Premium in Feb-07. Dell sent the Vista
> > disk and the upgrade went fine.
> >
> > Suddenly today, Aug 19, I get a Microsoft message saying Microsoft can't
> > validate my copy of Vista and logs me off. I re-enter my product key and
> > am
> > told it's already in use and it logs me off. I go through the telephone
> > activation system, which worked and am back in business. However!
> >
> > Now I have a message on my screen that says:
> > "Windows Vista (TM)
> > Build 6000
> > This copy of Windows is not genuine".
> >
> > What in the heck is going on?
> > I've been running Vista for 6 months and now it suddenly can't validate
> > and
> > logs me off.

Jane C

Re: "This copy of Windows is not genuine"
A reboot has been known to cure such things ;-)

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP - Windows Shell/User

>I followed the link and Microsoft validated my copy of Vista.
> But it still left the message on my desktop saying;
> "This copy of Windows is not genuine".
>
> Microsoft, how do I get this message off my desktop? You put it there!
> Please take it off!

eeh

Re: "This copy of Windows is not genuine"
Jane,
A reboot did not resolve. I continue to have this message on the bottom
right corner of my desktop:

"Windows Vista (TM)
Build 6000
This copy of Windows is not genuine".

It appeared after Microsoft telephone validation provided the 9 sets of 6
numbers for validation.

"Jane C" wrote:

> A reboot has been known to cure such things ;-)
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "eeh" <eeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I followed the link and Microsoft validated my copy of Vista.
> > But it still left the message on my desktop saying;
> > "This copy of Windows is not genuine".
> >
> > Microsoft, how do I get this message off my desktop? You put it there!
> > Please take it off!

Peter Foldes

"eeh" <eeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:814EEE58-8851-4B79-AB13-EA203EF8C9E1@microsoft.com...
> Jane,
> A reboot did not resolve. I continue to have this message on the bottom
> right corner of my desktop:
>
> "Windows Vista (TM)
> Build 6000
> This copy of Windows is not genuine".
>
> It appeared after Microsoft telephone validation provided the 9 sets of 6
> numbers for validation.
>
> "Jane C" wrote:
>
>> A reboot has been known to cure such things ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>
>> "eeh" <eeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I followed the link and Microsoft validated my copy of Vista.
>> > But it still left the message on my desktop saying;
>> > "This copy of Windows is not genuine".
>> >
>> > Microsoft, how do I get this message off my desktop? You put it there!
>> > Please take it off!

eeh

Re: "This copy of Windows is not genuine"
Group,

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> --
> Peter

> "eeh" <eeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:814EEE58-8851-4B79-AB13-EA203EF8C9E1@microsoft.com...
> > Jane,
> > A reboot did not resolve. I continue to have this message on the bottom
> > right corner of my desktop:
> >
> > "Windows Vista (TM)
> > Build 6000
> > This copy of Windows is not genuine".
> >
> > It appeared after Microsoft telephone validation provided the 9 sets of 6
> > numbers for validation.
> >
> > "Jane C" wrote:
> >
> >> A reboot has been known to cure such things ;-)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> >> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
> >> MVP - Windows Shell/User

Richard Urban

Re: Re-Activation, NOT GENUINE?
Try this.

Start Internet Explorer with "Run As Administrator" privileges.

Then go here: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/default.aspx and run
through the tests.

I have had this solve the problem a few different times now on different
computers.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban