BIOS

AliceZ

BIOS
If I enter BIOS (F10) on my Vista Premium notebook, and I don't make and
changes OR, if I just run HDD Self Test, how do I EXIT?
I clicked on EXIT, but nothing happened.
There were two other choices:
#1- Exit Without Saving changes
#2- Exit Saving changes

I clicked "Exit Without Saving Changes" because I really didn't make any
changes.
However, my husband said he went into the BIOS earlier in the day and didn't
make any changes, but believe he clicked "Exit Saving Changes."

Is it alright to click either one, if no changes were made?
peter

Re: BIOS
yes
peter
"AliceZ" <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsF07D7A2-91EB-4567-B4E5-17621E1F580F@microsoft.com...
> If I enter BIOS (F10) on my Vista Premium notebook, and I don't make and
> changes OR, if I just run HDD Self Test, how do I EXIT?
> I clicked on EXIT, but nothing happened.
> There were two other choices:
> #1- Exit Without Saving changes
> #2- Exit Saving changes
>
> I clicked "Exit Without Saving Changes" because I really didn't make any
> changes.
> However, my husband said he went into the BIOS earlier in the day and
> didn't
> make any changes, but believe he clicked "Exit Saving Changes."
>
> Is it alright to click either one, if no changes were made?

Paul Randall

Re: BIOS
Yes, but...
If you accidently made a change, exit without saving changes will erase your
accident, and that is generally a good thing. I think one should have a
small ego on exit rather than a big ego.

-Paul Randall

"AliceZ" <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsF07D7A2-91EB-4567-B4E5-17621E1F580F@microsoft.com...
> If I enter BIOS (F10) on my Vista Premium notebook, and I don't make and
> changes OR, if I just run HDD Self Test, how do I EXIT?
> I clicked on EXIT, but nothing happened.
> There were two other choices:
> #1- Exit Without Saving changes
> #2- Exit Saving changes
>
> I clicked "Exit Without Saving Changes" because I really didn't make any
> changes.
> However, my husband said he went into the BIOS earlier in the day and
> didn't
> make any changes, but believe he clicked "Exit Saving Changes."
>
> Is it alright to click either one, if no changes were made?

John Barnett MVP

Re: BIOS
If you haven't made any changes then you would click the 'Exit Without
Saving Changes' option. If your husband entered the BIOS but 'did not' make
any changes, then clicking the Exit and Save changes would not make any
difference because nothing has changed.
However, you should be careful when tinkering with the BIOS, if you make
changes, then save them, and they are wrong you could render your PC
unbootable.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"AliceZ" <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsF07D7A2-91EB-4567-B4E5-17621E1F580F@microsoft.com...
> If I enter BIOS (F10) on my Vista Premium notebook, and I don't make and
> changes OR, if I just run HDD Self Test, how do I EXIT?
> I clicked on EXIT, but nothing happened.
> There were two other choices:
> #1- Exit Without Saving changes
> #2- Exit Saving changes
>
> I clicked "Exit Without Saving Changes" because I really didn't make any
> changes.
> However, my husband said he went into the BIOS earlier in the day and
> didn't
> make any changes, but believe he clicked "Exit Saving Changes."
>
> Is it alright to click either one, if no changes were made?

Olivier

Re: BIOS
BTW, I don't count the number of friends who call me to repair their
computers, although they assured me to have not done any change in the bios,
but "navigating" here and there, just out of curiosity. I particulary
remember the last one who set an administrator password on his bios, and who
was telling me, some hours later, that the only thing he had done was to
secure his windows account by adding a password.

So, may I suggest that you, or anybody else, should not in any way "exit the
bios saving changes" unless you do know perfectly what you've done, what it
implies and why you've done this. If there is any little doubt, discard any
change. The same philosophy applies to any other program, not only bios...
Why, by the hell, programmers did offer you a clean solution to exit without
messing anything, if you're not even willing to use it ? <g>

regards

PS: Sorry if I offended some sensibilities, but I've spend too much time
trying to undo what too much "innocent" people denied to have done. My next
buy will be a crystal ball, it will surely help a lot more <vbeg>

--
Olivier