Messed up my Vista when trying to dual-install Ubuntu alongside Vi

mak

Messed up my Vista when trying to dual-install Ubuntu alongside Vi
I ordered the Ubuntu 7.04 CD in order to run a dual-boot installation
alongside Vista Ultimate. I had Vista installed on my C drive, and wanted to
install Ubuntu on a new 10GB partition (created from the 15GB free space on
my C drive).

I followed the Vista + Ubuntu dual boot installation as shown here:
http://www.howtoforge.com/dual_boot_..._ubuntu_feisty .

I followed the instructions as rigorously as possible, but it seems that
having now completed the installation, my Dell 640m laptop fails to find ANY
Vista OS installed! - Instead of offering me the dual-boot choice of Vista &
Ubuntu, my laptop boots straight into Ubuntu without asking me! (Ubuntu runs
fine though).

The only hiccup I experienced in the Install (which should've sent my alarm
bells ringing) is when Ubuntu didn't detect any Vista accounts to import. But
I stupidly overlooked this, and continued with the partitioning/install of
Ubuntu.

I've tried using the Vista boot DVD, but it only offers me the option of
installing a new copy of Vista (losing all my of data, settings and
programs!). The repair options are no help as it cannot find a system-restore
point to use.

Any advice?? I don't mind losing Ubuntu as long as I get Vista back with all
my data! How can I get my laptop to detect Vista, restore my partitions and
get back my data??

Please help! Thanks in advance...

Regards,

akadir
Paul Smith

Re: Messed up my Vista when trying to dual-install Ubuntu alongside Vi
"mak" <mak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsD0BFA68-FA9B-4639-9652-F6EBDF7E6BFC@microsoft.com...

> I've tried using the Vista boot DVD, but it only offers me the option of
> installing a new copy of Vista (losing all my of data, settings and
> programs!). The repair options are no help as it cannot find a
> system-restore
> point to use.

The repair tools should help (assuming Vista is still intact on the drive).
There's more than just rolling back to a restore point, they should also be
able to repair the boot records.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

mak

Re: Messed up Vista when trying to dual-install Ubuntu alongside Vista

"Paul Smith" wrote:

> The repair tools should help (assuming Vista is still intact on the drive).
> There's more than just rolling back to a restore point, they should also be
> able to repair the boot records.

I've tried the Repair which Vista offered, and it DID find a partition error
which it "successfully" fixed. Upon restarting the machine, I ran the Vista
boot disk again and attempted to repair the Vista installation, but there was
no Vista OS detected upon which the repair could be carried out on!

I'm pretty sure it's due to the partitioning which took place during
Ubuntu's installation. Is there anyway I can reverse this and set the
original partition settings?

Thanks again...

akadir

Richard G. Harper

Re: Messed up Vista when trying to dual-install Ubuntu alongside Vista
That depends on what you did when you partitioned the drive. If you let the
Ubuntu partition tool overwrite all existing partitions you are almost
certainly out of luck since you would have overwritten your Vista OS with
the new Linux partition.

--

Perhaps. But you see I didn't let it carry out the format on its own. I
clicked on Manual and thereby created a new partition from the free available

When I ran the Startup Repair scan with the Vista DVD, it detected that "The
partition table does not have a valid system partition" . Repair action:
Partition Table Repair.

Upon clicking on Finish, it restarted, but to no avail as Vista was still
undetected!
There goes my data and programs...

If anyone can think of any miracles please let me know, as I am desperate to
get round this.

Thanks, akadir.

Bob J

RE: Messed up my Vista when trying to dual-install Ubuntu alongside Vi
What is the original size of your HD?

Start up Ubuntu
Select > System
Select > Administration
Select > System
Select > System Monitor
Select> File System

What is the Total Capacity of Ext3 ... If the total of Ext3 is virtually the
same size as your HD . it appears that you may have overwritten the Vista OS
and if so your whole HD has been converted to Linux.

Post back results!!!!

--
Regards
Bob J

"mak" wrote:

> I ordered the Ubuntu 7.04 CD in order to run a dual-boot installation
> alongside Vista Ultimate. I had Vista installed on my C drive, and wanted to
> install Ubuntu on a new 10GB partition (created from the 15GB free space on
> my C drive).
>
> I followed the Vista + Ubuntu dual boot installation as shown here:
> http://www.howtoforge.com/dual_boot_..._ubuntu_feisty .
>
> I followed the instructions as rigorously as possible, but it seems that
> having now completed the installation, my Dell 640m laptop fails to find ANY
> Vista OS installed! - Instead of offering me the dual-boot choice of Vista &
> Ubuntu, my laptop boots straight into Ubuntu without asking me! (Ubuntu runs
> fine though).
>
> The only hiccup I experienced in the Install (which should've sent my alarm
> bells ringing) is when Ubuntu didn't detect any Vista accounts to import. But
> I stupidly overlooked this, and continued with the partitioning/install of
> Ubuntu.
>
> I've tried using the Vista boot DVD, but it only offers me the option of
> installing a new copy of Vista (losing all my of data, settings and
> programs!). The repair options are no help as it cannot find a system-restore
> point to use.
>
> Any advice?? I don't mind losing Ubuntu as long as I get Vista back with all
> my data! How can I get my laptop to detect Vista, restore my partitions and
> get back my data??
>
> Please help! Thanks in advance...
>
> Regards,
>
> akadir

mak

"Bob J" wrote:

> What is the original size of your HD?
>
> Start up Ubuntu
> Select > System
> Select > Administration
> Select > System
> Select > System Monitor
> Select> File System
>
> What is the Total Capacity of Ext3 ... If the total of Ext3 is virtually the
> same size as your HD . it appears that you may have overwritten the Vista OS
> and if so your whole HD has been converted to Linux.
>
> Post back results!!!!

Thanks for your reply!

In Ubuntu, it currently shows:

Device: /dev/sda2
Type: ext3
Total: 9.7GB, Free: 7.3GB, Used: 2.4GB (24% Used).

The configuration before Ubuntu was installed was as follows:
One 160GB Hard Drive with two partitions:
150GB for Vista/Programs (drive letter C) with 15GB Free Space.
& 10GB for Dell Recovery (drive letter D).

With Ubuntu, I intended to have:
140GB for Vista/Programs (drive letter C) with 5GB Free Space.
10GB for Dell Recovery (drive letter D),
10GB for Ubuntu.
also created a 512mb swap file partition (as required by the Installer).

Can you help?

Bob J

RE: Messed up my Vista when trying to dual-install Ubuntu alongside Vi
The good news is that you still have Vista installed and Ubuntu is setup on a
10gb partition.
What you appear to be missing is the Grub bootloader, and it appears that
you have what you intended to setup.

This being a Vista group I suggest that you go to the link below and post
details in the "Installation & Setup" group with all the info you have
posted.
and state the 'Grub loader' did not install.

http://ubuntuforums.org/

There are far more experienced Linux users on the site and they will come up
with the solution I'm sure
I apologize I can not help further
Post back if all goes well
--