Thoughts So Far

Verger

Thoughts So Far
Alright,

My mobo finally arrived yesterday and so I was able to assemble the
lot and install Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

So far so good. I have had no trouble installing this thing on a
single harddrive. Since everything is pretty different in Vista I had
some trouble getting my cable connection to work but actually, if I
remember days long gone it used to be tougher and what is 'long'? It
took me just 15 minutes of fiddling in unknown screens to get it to
work.

There are some glitches. But those are gfx driver realted and they may
be gone if I fiffle around a bit, the second monitor showed a coupkle
of times distortion, colorly lines and stuff. seems ok now.

I have not had any problem with hardware so far, that means the Point
of View 8800 GTS 640MB works fine if you download the 64 bit drivers.
The SB X_FI had some problems, it refused to install drivers from the
cd saying this OS was not quite right. But downloading the driver from
their website was easy enough and now it seems cool.

I installed Neverwinter NIghts 2 after having it here for 6 months
waiting for this PC to happen. But EAX isn't avalaible for enabling.
Look into that later.

Total Commander is fine. I should reread the problems it hasd because
some things are not working quite integratedly.

Everything is very fast. Netscape Navigator opens fast as does
anything. I just installed, well, copied the whole Agent dir from DVD
via my old XP to Vista and it nees little installation, it just works.

I have to say I sisabled that useraccount thing to avoid those popups.
I am old and wise and know PC's and threats well enough to be able to
avoid pronlems.

Soon I will install two Worlds. see how that looks. NWN2 is amazing, I
tried it for fun on my old FX5600 but it would hardly run. Now,
smooth!

Now I must see to my Eudora email. When that runs, I am a happy dude.
That is vital to me. Already migrated my mp3 files with some more to
be burned to DVD-RW so i can move the lot.

And than slowly but steaily, seeing what old software I really need,
want and see what works. Much will fall by the wayside. But I got my
old PC right here so...

No printers tried out or my old Agfa scanner. I don't use it much. The
Epson Stylus Color 660 is ancient now. But somehow I bet that Vista
will let me use it :-)

It seems benign enough.

Knick on wood cause something is bound to piss me off today...after
all, it remains M@.

And that Areo stuff, very slick. And the flip 3D cool. Wasm't turned
on though.
--

Verger

"What are we in time going by"-- Mountain ( For Yasgur's Farm)
John Barnes

Re: Thoughts So Far
Since you chose the 64-bit version you may have more problems finding
drivers. You already did with your X-FI but you found the 64-bit drivers
online. Remember you will need the 64-bit drivers for everything and they
must be signed, so some won't be available.

"Verger" <nomail@maildump.nl> wrote in message
> Alright,
>
> My mobo finally arrived yesterday and so I was able to assemble the
> lot and install Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
>
> So far so good. I have had no trouble installing this thing on a
> single harddrive. Since everything is pretty different in Vista I had
> some trouble getting my cable connection to work but actually, if I
> remember days long gone it used to be tougher and what is 'long'? It
> took me just 15 minutes of fiddling in unknown screens to get it to
> work.
>
> There are some glitches. But those are gfx driver realted and they may
> be gone if I fiffle around a bit, the second monitor showed a coupkle
> of times distortion, colorly lines and stuff. seems ok now.
>
> I have not had any problem with hardware so far, that means the Point
> of View 8800 GTS 640MB works fine if you download the 64 bit drivers.
> The SB X_FI had some problems, it refused to install drivers from the
> cd saying this OS was not quite right. But downloading the driver from
> their website was easy enough and now it seems cool.
>
> I installed Neverwinter NIghts 2 after having it here for 6 months
> waiting for this PC to happen. But EAX isn't avalaible for enabling.
> Look into that later.
>
> Total Commander is fine. I should reread the problems it hasd because
> some things are not working quite integratedly.
>
> Everything is very fast. Netscape Navigator opens fast as does
> anything. I just installed, well, copied the whole Agent dir from DVD
> via my old XP to Vista and it nees little installation, it just works.
>
> I have to say I sisabled that useraccount thing to avoid those popups.
> I am old and wise and know PC's and threats well enough to be able to
> avoid pronlems.
>
> Soon I will install two Worlds. see how that looks. NWN2 is amazing, I
> tried it for fun on my old FX5600 but it would hardly run. Now,
> smooth!
>
> Now I must see to my Eudora email. When that runs, I am a happy dude.
> That is vital to me. Already migrated my mp3 files with some more to
> be burned to DVD-RW so i can move the lot.
>
> And than slowly but steaily, seeing what old software I really need,
> want and see what works. Much will fall by the wayside. But I got my
> old PC right here so...
>
> No printers tried out or my old Agfa scanner. I don't use it much. The
> Epson Stylus Color 660 is ancient now. But somehow I bet that Vista
> will let me use it :-)
>
> It seems benign enough.
>
> Knick on wood cause something is bound to piss me off today...after
> all, it remains M@.
>
> And that Areo stuff, very slick. And the flip 3D cool. Wasm't turned
> on though.
> --
>
> Verger
>
> "What are we in time going by"-- Mountain ( For Yasgur's Farm)

Verger

Re: Thoughts So Far
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:48:05 -0700, "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net>
sang the following hymns:

>Since you chose the 64-bit version you may have more problems finding
>drivers. You already did with your X-FI but you found the 64-bit drivers
>online. Remember you will need the 64-bit drivers for everything and they
>must be signed, so some won't be available.

So far I haven't found any problems. Soon I'll try to get my printer
to work. Does UAC have anything to dow ith it?

--

Verger

"What are we in time going by"-- Mountain ( For Yasgur's Farm)
John Barnes

Re: Thoughts So Far
UAC is the same for both. 64-bit drivers must be signed, 32-bit don't need
to be. I am surprised your printer doesn't work. I have a Canon printer
that didn't have XP64 drivers that works in Vista64 out of the box.