Formatting

Garry

Formatting
Hi,

Now here is my issue. Im on my "old" stationary PC, I just upgraded it from
win xp to vista. But what I really want to do is to format the machine. I
cant seem to find out how. I go in dos and write format c: but I dont have
the permission to do it. Then I have tried other things and it say that I can
not format the HD that the OS are running on. Im This close to throw the
machine out the window now

When I start it with the new vista DVD in it it do not give me an option to
format the HD before it install it...

Please help!
Mick Murphy

RE: Formatting
You upgraded from XP to Vista; it was not a clean install, with a full
version of Vista. That is why there was no format option.
If you format your drive now, how do you install an upgrade when there will
be nothing to upgrade from?
The only way you can do it, and still get an OS installed, is if you have
the original XP disk. Set the bios to boot from the CD/DVD Drive, and
reinstall XP. That way you will have the option to delete the existing
partition, format the drive, reinstall XP, then upgrade to Vista AGAIN.
If you do that, you will have to reactivatee Vista by the phone option, and
explain the reason why a second reactivation occurred.
If you had had a full version of Vista, you would have installed it the way
I have described the XP install.

"Garry" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now here is my issue. Im on my "old" stationary PC, I just upgraded it from
> win xp to vista. But what I really want to do is to format the machine. I
> cant seem to find out how. I go in dos and write format c: but I dont have
> the permission to do it. Then I have tried other things and it say that I can
> not format the HD that the OS are running on. Im This close to throw the
> machine out the window now
>
> When I start it with the new vista DVD in it it do not give me an option to
> format the HD before it install it...
>
> Please help!

Verger

Re: Formatting
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 04:00:00 -0700, Mick Murphy
<MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> sang the following hymns:

>You upgraded from XP to Vista; it was not a clean install, with a full
>version of Vista. That is why there was no format option.
>If you format your drive now, how do you install an upgrade when there will
>be nothing to upgrade from?
>The only way you can do it, and still get an OS installed, is if you have
>the original XP disk. Set the bios to boot from the CD/DVD Drive, and
>reinstall XP. That way you will have the option to delete the existing
>partition, format the drive, reinstall XP, then upgrade to Vista AGAIN.
>If you do that, you will have to reactivatee Vista by the phone option, and
>explain the reason why a second reactivation occurred.
>If you had had a full version of Vista, you would have installed it the way
>I have described the XP install.

In these cases can't you just create a floppy with fdisk from which
you can format the C: drive? Then it is wiped. Then boot from Vista
DVD. And it will detect nothing. yes you will have to telephone about
the situation but you got a new install without hassling around with
XP.

--

Verger

"What are we in time going by"-- Mountain ( For Yasgur's Farm)
philo

Re: Formatting

"Verger" <nomail@maildump.nl> wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 04:00:00 -0700, Mick Murphy
> <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> sang the following hymns:
>
> >You upgraded from XP to Vista; it was not a clean install, with a full
> >version of Vista. That is why there was no format option.
> >If you format your drive now, how do you install an upgrade when there

will
> >be nothing to upgrade from?
> >The only way you can do it, and still get an OS installed, is if you have
> >the original XP disk. Set the bios to boot from the CD/DVD Drive, and
> >reinstall XP. That way you will have the option to delete the existing
> >partition, format the drive, reinstall XP, then upgrade to Vista AGAIN.
> >If you do that, you will have to reactivatee Vista by the phone option,

and
> >explain the reason why a second reactivation occurred.
> >If you had had a full version of Vista, you would have installed it the

way
> >I have described the XP install.
> >

> In these cases can't you just create a floppy with fdisk from which
> you can format the C: drive? Then it is wiped. Then boot from Vista
> DVD. And it will detect nothing. yes you will have to telephone about
> the situation but you got a new install without hassling around with
> XP.

Yes, you could use a win98 floppy and delete your NON_DOS partition.
there would be no need to format...you;d just be wasting a bunch of time as
the Vista installer would merely have to re-format it as NTFS

Mick Murphy

Re: Formatting
What is the point of mentioning the f-disk to him, when he only has a Vista
upgrade key?

what is he going to f******upgrade form?

"Verger" wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 04:00:00 -0700, Mick Murphy
> <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> sang the following hymns:
>
> >You upgraded from XP to Vista; it was not a clean install, with a full
> >version of Vista. That is why there was no format option.
> >If you format your drive now, how do you install an upgrade when there will
> >be nothing to upgrade from?
> >The only way you can do it, and still get an OS installed, is if you have
> >the original XP disk. Set the bios to boot from the CD/DVD Drive, and
> >reinstall XP. That way you will have the option to delete the existing
> >partition, format the drive, reinstall XP, then upgrade to Vista AGAIN.
> >If you do that, you will have to reactivatee Vista by the phone option, and
> >explain the reason why a second reactivation occurred.
> >If you had had a full version of Vista, you would have installed it the way
> >I have described the XP install.
> >

> In these cases can't you just create a floppy with fdisk from which
> you can format the C: drive? Then it is wiped. Then boot from Vista
> DVD. And it will detect nothing. yes you will have to telephone about
> the situation but you got a new install without hassling around with
> XP.
>

> --
>
> Verger
>
> "What are we in time going by"-- Mountain ( For Yasgur's Farm)

Mick Murphy

Re: Formatting
Doesn't anybody here read posts?

He UPGRADED; and must only have an UPGRADE key.
So, what is he going to do with an upgrade and a formatted Drive?

Use your brains!!!!!!!!

"philo" wrote:

> "Verger" <nomail@maildump.nl> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 04:00:00 -0700, Mick Murphy
> > <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> sang the following hymns:
> >
> > >You upgraded from XP to Vista; it was not a clean install, with a full
> > >version of Vista. That is why there was no format option.
> > >If you format your drive now, how do you install an upgrade when there

> will
> > >be nothing to upgrade from?
> > >The only way you can do it, and still get an OS installed, is if you have
> > >the original XP disk. Set the bios to boot from the CD/DVD Drive, and
> > >reinstall XP. That way you will have the option to delete the existing
> > >partition, format the drive, reinstall XP, then upgrade to Vista AGAIN.
> > >If you do that, you will have to reactivatee Vista by the phone option,

> and
> > >explain the reason why a second reactivation occurred.
> > >If you had had a full version of Vista, you would have installed it the

> way
> > >I have described the XP install.
> > >

> > In these cases can't you just create a floppy with fdisk from which
> > you can format the C: drive? Then it is wiped. Then boot from Vista
> > DVD. And it will detect nothing. yes you will have to telephone about
> > the situation but you got a new install without hassling around with
> > XP.
> >

> Yes, you could use a win98 floppy and delete your NON_DOS partition.
> there would be no need to format...you;d just be wasting a bunch of time as
> the Vista installer would merely have to re-format it as NTFS

Paul Randall

Re: Formatting

"Garry" <Garry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Now here is my issue. Im on my "old" stationary PC, I just upgraded it
> from
> win xp to vista. But what I really want to do is to format the machine. I
> cant seem to find out how. I go in dos and write format c: but I dont have
> the permission to do it. Then I have tried other things and it say that I
> can
> not format the HD that the OS are running on. Im This close to throw the
> machine out the window now
>
> When I start it with the new vista DVD in it it do not give me an option
> format the HD before it install it...
>
> Please help!

Pain in the butt, isn't it? One step forward, two steps back.

You could have done a 'clean' install with your upgrade DVD.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932616 says:
A custom installation or clean installation of Windows Vista does not
preserve the currently installed personal files, settings, and programs.
Windows Vista is installed without third-party programs. You can perform a
custom installation of Windows Vista by using either an upgrade license or a
full product license. However, if you own an upgrade license, you must start
the installation in the current version of Windows. At the installation
choice menu, select Custom to perform this action.

If you want a completely EULA-compliant clean installation, reinstall a
minimal WXP system but don't bother to activate it. Then do the custom
install of Vista. And remember to keep the installation CD/DVDs for current
and any previous upgrades that got you to this point -- you may need them if
you ever need to reinstall your OS in a EULA-compliant way.

-Paul Randall

scrooge

Re: Formatting

put your vista disk in the drive reboot your system when it
comes to the part to enter your key click next without entering the key
. then the screen will come up with your drives and on the botton should
be ( format ) . format your drive then let vista install when done.
restall vista within windows and this time enter your key and let vista
install and then go to the drive you installed on and your going to see
windows.old (del ) the windows.old and your done.
this works cause i did it myself.
scrooge

--
scrooge
John Inzer

Re: Formatting
Mick Murphy wrote:
>snip<
> what is he going to f******upgrade form?

===================================
Upgrade from Vista.

Have a look at the following articles:

How to Clean Install Windows
Vista with Upgrade Media
http://tinyurl.com/2cwx3v

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Bruce Chambers

Re: Formatting
Garry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now here is my issue. Im on my "old" stationary PC, I just upgraded it from
> win xp to vista. But what I really want to do is to format the machine. I
> cant seem to find out how. I go in dos and write format c: but I dont have
> the permission to do it.

There is no DOS on a WinXP or Vista computer, so that is not what
you're doing. Instead, you've opened a Command-Line Interface window
from within Windows. You're trying to format the drive containing the
system volume from within WinXP. You can't. This would be the computer
equivalent of sawing off the tree limb you're sitting on, and both WinXP
and Vista are "too smart" to allow this.

> Then I have tried other things and it say that I can
> not format the HD that the OS are running on. Im This close to throw the
> machine out the window now

Why? It's working as it's designed to work?

> When I start it with the new vista DVD in it it do not give me an option to
> format the HD before it install it...

Correct. The Vista Upgrade installation routine is specifically
designed to be started from within a genuine qualifying OS. Boot into
WinXP, insert the Upgrade DVD, start the upgrade, and select a custom
installation. Then you should be able to specify the target partition,
as well as format it.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: