Restore point drives C and D

Doug

Restore point drives C and D
I have Vista installed on drive C and backup my data to drive D using Second
Copy.

When setting a restore point I see that I can also set a restore point for
drive D. Is there any point in doing so, or would it be meaningless with my
setup?

Rick Rogers

Re: Restore point drives C and D
Hi,

Depends on how much redundancy you desire. Basically, as D:\ is merely a
copy of C:\'s data, I'd say there's not much point to shadowing D:\.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Doug" <just_me@fake_address.replytogroup> wrote in message
>I have Vista installed on drive C and backup my data to drive D using
>Second Copy.
>
> When setting a restore point I see that I can also set a restore point for
> drive D. Is there any point in doing so, or would it be meaningless with
> my setup?

Bert Kinney

Re: Restore point drives C and D
Hi Doug,

I agree with Rick. Particularly if you have these data file backed up to
removable media such as a CD/DVD. You do have them backed up?

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

Doug wrote:
> I have Vista installed on drive C and backup my data to drive D using
> Second Copy.
>
> When setting a restore point I see that I can also set a restore point
> for drive D. Is there any point in doing so, or would it be meaningless
> with my setup?

DanR

Re: Restore point drives C and D
Would there be any point at all to having restore points for a D: data only
drive? What would be restored?

> Hi,
>
> Depends on how much redundancy you desire. Basically, as D:\ is merely a
> copy of C:\'s data, I'd say there's not much point to shadowing D:\.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Doug" <just_me@fake_address.replytogroup> wrote in message
>>I have Vista installed on drive C and backup my data to drive D using
>>Second Copy.
>>
>> When setting a restore point I see that I can also set a restore point
>> for drive D. Is there any point in doing so, or would it be meaningless
>> with my setup?

Rick Rogers

Re: Restore point drives C and D
Hi Dan,

Shadow copies, backups of data files in case they get corrupted.

--

"DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospam.com> wrote in message
> Would there be any point at all to having restore points for a D: data
> only drive? What would be restored?

>> Hi,
>>
>> Depends on how much redundancy you desire. Basically, as D:\ is merely a
>> copy of C:\'s data, I'd say there's not much point to shadowing D:\.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Doug" <just_me@fake_address.replytogroup> wrote in message
>>>I have Vista installed on drive C and backup my data to drive D using
>>>Second Copy.
>>>
>>> When setting a restore point I see that I can also set a restore point
>>> for drive D. Is there any point in doing so, or would it be meaningless
>>> with my setup?

Doug

Re: Restore point drives C and D
Hi - I posed the question to try to understand the concept of system restore
points. If a system restore point enables me to roll back system changes,
then I am trying to understand what it means to set up a system restore
point for a drive that only contains data. My gut feeling is that it is
meaningless. If I am wrong it must be because I have never really understood
what a system restore is doing - which I suspect may well be the case -
Doug

> I agree with Rick. Particularly if you have these data file backed up to
> removable media such as a CD/DVD. You do have them backed up?
>
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
> Member: http://dts-l.org
>
> Doug wrote:
>> I have Vista installed on drive C and backup my data to drive D using
>> Second Copy.
>>
>> When setting a restore point I see that I can also set a restore point
>> for drive D. Is there any point in doing so, or would it be meaningless
>> with my setup?

Bert Kinney

Re: Restore point drives C and D
Hi Doug,

You're gut feeling is correct. There is no need or advantage to letting
System Restore monitor a drive/partition containing data. In fact it is best
to let Windows only monitor the partition Windows is installed on.

This should help explain how System Restore functions.
System Restore in Windows Vista:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/vista.html