How to Upgrade Vista

Ted Li

How to Upgrade Vista
I have Vista Installed on a old motherboard which has SIS Chipset, but it
keeps crashing. Now I replace the motherboard with a new motherboard which
has Intel chipset, unfortunately, the system keeps re-starting.

For Windows XP, I can boot from the CD and repair the Windows to fix the
controller chipset drivers problem. With Vista, I can't do that any more as
"Upgrade is disabled". As the system won't start up, how can I repair
Windows.

I try to install the Intel chipset drivers using the old motherboard, it
fails as the drivers won't go ahead as it won't find the Intel chipset

Anyone knows a solution? I want to retain all my settings, programs and
data, your help is highly appreciated.

Ted
peter

Re: How to Upgrade Vista
Do you get to the screen where at the bottom it says...Repair Windows??
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...ir_options.htm
peter
"Ted Li" <TedLi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Installed on a old motherboard which has SIS Chipset, but it
> keeps crashing. Now I replace the motherboard with a new motherboard which
> has Intel chipset, unfortunately, the system keeps re-starting.
>
> For Windows XP, I can boot from the CD and repair the Windows to fix the
> controller chipset drivers problem. With Vista, I can't do that any more
> as
> "Upgrade is disabled". As the system won't start up, how can I repair
> Windows.
>
> I try to install the Intel chipset drivers using the old motherboard, it
> fails as the drivers won't go ahead as it won't find the Intel chipset
>
> Anyone knows a solution? I want to retain all my settings, programs and
> data, your help is highly appreciated.
>
> Ted

Ted Li

RE: How to Upgrade Vista
I try that, but it finally come up "repair fails", the error is "bad drivers
....". How can I put the controller drivers?

Ted

"Ted Li" wrote:

> I have Vista Installed on a old motherboard which has SIS Chipset, but it
> keeps crashing. Now I replace the motherboard with a new motherboard which
> has Intel chipset, unfortunately, the system keeps re-starting.
>
> For Windows XP, I can boot from the CD and repair the Windows to fix the
> controller chipset drivers problem. With Vista, I can't do that any more as
> "Upgrade is disabled". As the system won't start up, how can I repair
> Windows.
>
> I try to install the Intel chipset drivers using the old motherboard, it
> fails as the drivers won't go ahead as it won't find the Intel chipset
>
> Anyone knows a solution? I want to retain all my settings, programs and
> data, your help is highly appreciated.
>
> Ted

John Barnes

Re: How to Upgrade Vista
See if you can boot to safe mode, uninstall the drivers that you need to and
then try normal mode again.

>I try that, but it finally come up "repair fails", the error is "bad
>drivers
> ...". How can I put the controller drivers?
>
> Ted
>

> "Ted Li" wrote:
>
>> I have Vista Installed on a old motherboard which has SIS Chipset, but it
>> keeps crashing. Now I replace the motherboard with a new motherboard
>> which
>> has Intel chipset, unfortunately, the system keeps re-starting.
>>
>> For Windows XP, I can boot from the CD and repair the Windows to fix the
>> controller chipset drivers problem. With Vista, I can't do that any more
>> as
>> "Upgrade is disabled". As the system won't start up, how can I repair
>> Windows.
>>
>> I try to install the Intel chipset drivers using the old motherboard, it
>> fails as the drivers won't go ahead as it won't find the Intel chipset
>>
>> Anyone knows a solution? I want to retain all my settings, programs and
>> data, your help is highly appreciated.
>>
>> Ted

Ted Li

Re: How to Upgrade Vista
Can't go to safe mode. If you remember whenever you change the motherboard
with different controller chipset, your windows XP or 2000 won't start and
keep getting blue screen, you should understand my problem. The way to fix it
is to repair windows by booting up from the CD. Now Vista remove that
function, I can't find a way to repair windows or install the chipset
drivers.

If anyway knows any 3rd party product that can fix it, your help is highly
appreciated.

Ted

"John Barnes" wrote:

> See if you can boot to safe mode, uninstall the drivers that you need to and
> then try normal mode again.
>
> "Ted Li" <TedLi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I try that, but it finally come up "repair fails", the error is "bad
> >drivers
> > ...". How can I put the controller drivers?
> >
> > Ted
> >

> > "Ted Li" wrote:
> >
> >> I have Vista Installed on a old motherboard which has SIS Chipset, but it
> >> keeps crashing. Now I replace the motherboard with a new motherboard
> >> which
> >> has Intel chipset, unfortunately, the system keeps re-starting.
> >>
> >> For Windows XP, I can boot from the CD and repair the Windows to fix the
> >> controller chipset drivers problem. With Vista, I can't do that any more
> >> as
> >> "Upgrade is disabled". As the system won't start up, how can I repair
> >> Windows.
> >>
> >> I try to install the Intel chipset drivers using the old motherboard, it
> >> fails as the drivers won't go ahead as it won't find the Intel chipset
> >>
> >> Anyone knows a solution? I want to retain all my settings, programs and
> >> data, your help is highly appreciated.
> >>
> >> Ted

peter

Re: How to Upgrade Vista
Tell us how you installed Vista in the first place........upgrade over XP
perhaps??
The unfortunate part of an upgrade Vista edition is that it looks for XP on
the HD before it will install....and I dont suppose you kept the windows.old
folder???
So it seems what you will need to do is install XP first..........then
install Vista all over again.If you have a large HD you could create a small
partition for the XP install and then endeavor to install Vista into the
original Vista Installation. When I had a small problem with the "upgrade"
version of Vista on my Laptop and before I removed the windows.old folder
Vista allowed me to reinstall ...I presumed it saw the XP files I then
picked the location of the old install and overwrote it.
hopefully this was helpful