transferring from an XP desktop to new Vista laptop

hamiltoncruiser

transferring from an XP desktop to new Vista laptop
I have 4 users on my XP desktop...I want to tfr just my user's data
from that desktop to my new Vista laptop.

I've been reading the articles on using Windows Easy Transfer but I
haven't seen any mention of choosing which/some/all users to tfr.

Does anyone know?

For the switch, I would think I want to install NAV first, then my
programs, then do the tfr of the data.
Is that right?

....Lisa

Mick Murphy

RE: transferring from an XP desktop to new Vista laptop
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/928634/en-us

The above is the "how to use easy transfer" link

"hamiltoncruiser" wrote:

> I have 4 users on my XP desktop...I want to tfr just my user's data
> from that desktop to my new Vista laptop.
>
> I've been reading the articles on using Windows Easy Transfer but I
> haven't seen any mention of choosing which/some/all users to tfr.
>
> Does anyone know?
>
> For the switch, I would think I want to install NAV first, then my
> programs, then do the tfr of the data.
> Is that right?
>
> ....Lisa

Bruce Chambers

hamiltoncruiser wrote:
> I have 4 users on my XP desktop...I want to tfr just my user's data
> from that desktop to my new Vista laptop.
>
> I've been reading the articles on using Windows Easy Transfer but I
> haven't seen any mention of choosing which/some/all users to tfr.
>
> Does anyone know?

I don't understand the question. You'd transfer the settings of any of
the users that you'll want to continue to have the same settings on the
new computer. (Naturally, you would transfer any settings from the
built-in system user profiles.)

> For the switch, I would think I want to install NAV first, then my
> programs, then do the tfr of the data.
> Is that right?

I'd use something better than Norton Anti-Virus, but, essentially,
that's a sound sequence of actions.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

hamiltoncruiser

Re: transferring from an XP desktop to new Vista laptop
I only want to have one of the 4 users from the desktop on the laptop.

Thanks for the encouragement re: my plan of action!

....Lisa

On Aug 17, 7:36 pm, Bruce Chambers <bchamb...@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
> hamiltoncruiser wrote:
> > I have 4 users on my XP desktop...I want to tfr just my user's data
> > from that desktop to my new Vista laptop.

> > I've been reading the articles on using Windows Easy Transfer but I
> > haven't seen any mention of choosing which/some/all users to tfr.

> > Does anyone know?

> I don't understand the question. You'd transfer the settings of any of
> the users that you'll want to continue to have the same settings on the
> new computer. (Naturally, you would transfer any settings from the
> built-in system user profiles.)
>
> > For the switch, I would think I want to install NAV first, then my
> > programs, then do the tfr of the data.
> > Is that right?

> I'd use something better than Norton Anti-Virus, but, essentially,
> that's a sound sequence of actions.
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htmhttp://...questions.html

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell

Mick Murphy

RE: transferring from an XP desktop to new Vista laptop
By the way, you can't transfer programs from one computer to another, only
reinstall them; and you can only reinstall them if they are not OEMs tied to
the 1st machine.

"hamiltoncruiser" wrote:

> I have 4 users on my XP desktop...I want to tfr just my user's data
> from that desktop to my new Vista laptop.
>
> I've been reading the articles on using Windows Easy Transfer but I
> haven't seen any mention of choosing which/some/all users to tfr.
>
> Does anyone know?
>
> For the switch, I would think I want to install NAV first, then my
> programs, then do the tfr of the data.
> Is that right?
>
> ....Lisa

Paul Randall

Re: transferring from an XP desktop to new Vista laptop
Strictly speaking, you are wrong about "you can't transfer programs from one
computer to another". It is true for many programs, like Microsoft Office.
There are lots of others that can be copied to any folder without an
installation program, and they run just fine. Sadley, there is no easy way
to tell which category that a program is in, so many people don't bother
mentioning that there are numerous exceptions to your "you can't" rule.

-Paul Randall

> By the way, you can't transfer programs from one computer to another, only
> reinstall them; and you can only reinstall them if they are not OEMs tied
> the 1st machine.
>
> "hamiltoncruiser" wrote:
>
>> I have 4 users on my XP desktop...I want to tfr just my user's data
>> from that desktop to my new Vista laptop.
>>
>> I've been reading the articles on using Windows Easy Transfer but I
>> haven't seen any mention of choosing which/some/all users to tfr.
>>
>> Does anyone know?
>>
>> For the switch, I would think I want to install NAV first, then my
>> programs, then do the tfr of the data.
>> Is that right?
>>
>> ....Lisa

John Barnes

Re: transferring from an XP desktop to new Vista laptop
Also, you can use this program. While beta, it is listed in the production
pages.
It is called the Easy Transfer Companion and you can find it here.
Generally installs any program that would install using the upgrade
procedure.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ytransfer.mspx

"Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message
> Strictly speaking, you are wrong about "you can't transfer programs from
> one computer to another". It is true for many programs, like Microsoft
> Office. There are lots of others that can be copied to any folder without
> an installation program, and they run just fine. Sadley, there is no easy
> way to tell which category that a program is in, so many people don't
> bother mentioning that there are numerous exceptions to your "you can't"
> rule.
>
> -Paul Randall
>
> "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> By the way, you can't transfer programs from one computer to another,
>> only
>> reinstall them; and you can only reinstall them if they are not OEMs tied
>> the 1st machine.
>>
>> "hamiltoncruiser" wrote:
>>
>>> I have 4 users on my XP desktop...I want to tfr just my user's data
>>> from that desktop to my new Vista laptop.
>>>
>>> I've been reading the articles on using Windows Easy Transfer but I
>>> haven't seen any mention of choosing which/some/all users to tfr.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know?
>>>
>>> For the switch, I would think I want to install NAV first, then my
>>> programs, then do the tfr of the data.
>>> Is that right?
>>>
>>> ....Lisa

Paul Randall

Re: transferring from an XP desktop to new Vista laptop
Thanks. I hadn't seen that.

-Paul Randall

> Also, you can use this program. While beta, it is listed in the
> production pages.
> It is called the Easy Transfer Companion and you can find it here.
> Generally installs any program that would install using the upgrade
> procedure.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ytransfer.mspx
>

> "Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message
>> Strictly speaking, you are wrong about "you can't transfer programs from
>> one computer to another". It is true for many programs, like Microsoft
>> Office. There are lots of others that can be copied to any folder without
>> an installation program, and they run just fine. Sadley, there is no
>> easy way to tell which category that a program is in, so many people
>> don't bother mentioning that there are numerous exceptions to your "you
>> can't" rule.
>>
>> -Paul Randall
>>
>> "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> By the way, you can't transfer programs from one computer to another,
>>> only
>>> reinstall them; and you can only reinstall them if they are not OEMs
>>> tied to
>>> the 1st machine.

Mick Murphy

Re: transferring from an XP desktop to new Vista laptop
I am very interested Paul. Would you mind giving me a few examples of these
programs that you say can be transferred from one comp to another.

The program files do not contain all of the program's files

"Paul Randall" wrote:

> Strictly speaking, you are wrong about "you can't transfer programs from one
> computer to another". It is true for many programs, like Microsoft Office.
> There are lots of others that can be copied to any folder without an
> installation program, and they run just fine. Sadley, there is no easy way
> to tell which category that a program is in, so many people don't bother
> mentioning that there are numerous exceptions to your "you can't" rule.
>
> -Paul Randall
>
> "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > By the way, you can't transfer programs from one computer to another, only
> > reinstall them; and you can only reinstall them if they are not OEMs tied
> > the 1st machine.
> >
> > "hamiltoncruiser" wrote:
> >
> >> I have 4 users on my XP desktop...I want to tfr just my user's data
> >> from that desktop to my new Vista laptop.
> >>
> >> I've been reading the articles on using Windows Easy Transfer but I
> >> haven't seen any mention of choosing which/some/all users to tfr.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know?
> >>
> >> For the switch, I would think I want to install NAV first, then my
> >> programs, then do the tfr of the data.
> >> Is that right?
> >>
> >> ....Lisa

Dave

Re: transferring from an XP desktop to new Vista laptop
I believe he's talking about programs like sol.exe, freecell, and xp
pinball... all you have to do is copy their files over.. they don't
"install".