Installing Vista Home Premium Upgrade

TJS

Installing Vista Home Premium Upgrade
Running Xp Pro now and will install upgrade version of Vista. I want to do a
reformat and a clean install. Does the Windows Easy Transfer pertain to
moving all pertinent files to a seconda hard disk before the format? Should I
just copy my data files manually to a second hard drive? Will the upgrade
Vista version have any problem verifying the XP installation after I format
the harddrive prior to the upgrade installation?
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Installing Vista Home Premium Upgrade
Using Windows Easy Transfer, your should burn this
file to a DVD or copy it to an external drive. In order
to install Vista Home Premium, you need to start the
installation procedure while at your Windows XP
desktop. Please review the following:

How to install Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884/en-us

You cannot use an upgrade key to perform a clean installation of Windows Vista from the Windows Vista DVD
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933176/en-us

Installation choices for consumer versions of Windows Vista (32-bit only)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932616/

Upgrade installation keys are blocked when you start from the Windows Vista DVD
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930985/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"TJS" wrote:

Running Xp Pro now and will install upgrade version of Vista. I want to do a
reformat and a clean install. Does the Windows Easy Transfer pertain to
moving all pertinent files to a seconda hard disk before the format? Should I
just copy my data files manually to a second hard drive? Will the upgrade
Vista version have any problem verifying the XP installation after I format
the harddrive prior to the upgrade installation?
TJS

Re: Installing Vista Home Premium Upgrade

So, if I start the Vista upgrade version install while running XP Pro, I can
perform a clean install by choosing "custom?"
Can I use one of the seconadary SATA internal drives for storage/destination
for Windows Easy Transfer?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Using Windows Easy Transfer, your should burn this
> file to a DVD or copy it to an external drive. In order
> to install Vista Home Premium, you need to start the
> installation procedure while at your Windows XP
> desktop. Please review the following:
>
> How to install Windows Vista
>
> You cannot use an upgrade key to perform a clean installation of Windows Vista from the Windows Vista DVD
>
> Installation choices for consumer versions of Windows Vista (32-bit only)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932616/
>
> Upgrade installation keys are blocked when you start from the Windows Vista DVD
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930985/
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "TJS" wrote:
>
> Running Xp Pro now and will install upgrade version of Vista. I want to do a
> reformat and a clean install. Does the Windows Easy Transfer pertain to
> moving all pertinent files to a seconda hard disk before the format? Should I
> just copy my data files manually to a second hard drive? Will the upgrade
> Vista version have any problem verifying the XP installation after I format
> the harddrive prior to the upgrade installation?

TJS

Re: Installing Vista Home Premium Upgrade
Correction: The corrent XP op sys is Media Center

"TJS" wrote:

> So, if I start the Vista upgrade version install while running XP Pro, I can
> perform a clean install by choosing "custom?"
> Can I use one of the seconadary SATA internal drives for storage/destination
> for Windows Easy Transfer?
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Using Windows Easy Transfer, your should burn this
> > file to a DVD or copy it to an external drive. In order
> > to install Vista Home Premium, you need to start the
> > installation procedure while at your Windows XP
> > desktop. Please review the following:
> >
> > How to install Windows Vista
> >
> > You cannot use an upgrade key to perform a clean installation of Windows Vista from the Windows Vista DVD
> >
> > Installation choices for consumer versions of Windows Vista (32-bit only)
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932616/
> >
> > Upgrade installation keys are blocked when you start from the Windows Vista DVD
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930985/
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User

> > "TJS" wrote:
> >
> > Running Xp Pro now and will install upgrade version of Vista. I want to do a
> > reformat and a clean install. Does the Windows Easy Transfer pertain to
> > moving all pertinent files to a seconda hard disk before the format? Should I
> > just copy my data files manually to a second hard drive? Will the upgrade
> > Vista version have any problem verifying the XP installation after I format
> > the harddrive prior to the upgrade installation?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Installing Vista Home Premium Upgrade
Yes to both questions.

Also, see the following:

How to use the Disk Cleanup feature to delete the
Windows.old folder after you install Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930527/en-us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Using Windows Easy Transfer, your should burn this
> file to a DVD or copy it to an external drive. In order
> to install Vista Home Premium, you need to start the
> installation procedure while at your Windows XP
> desktop. Please review the following:
>
> How to install Windows Vista
>
> You cannot use an upgrade key to perform a clean installation of Windows Vista from the Windows Vista DVD
>
> Installation choices for consumer versions of Windows Vista (32-bit only)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932616/
>
> Upgrade installation keys are blocked when you start from the Windows Vista DVD
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930985/
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "TJS" wrote:
>
> Running Xp Pro now and will install upgrade version of Vista. I want to do a
> reformat and a clean install. Does the Windows Easy Transfer pertain to
> moving all pertinent files to a seconda hard disk before the format? Should I
> just copy my data files manually to a second hard drive? Will the upgrade
> Vista version have any problem verifying the XP installation after I format
> the harddrive prior to the upgrade installation?

TJS

Re: Installing Vista Home Premium Upgrade
If the CUSTOM/CLEAN install is chosen, can the drive be
partitioned/reformatted prior to the actual install or does it just install
VISTA in a location other than the WINDOWS directory?